UN publishes IHEU statement on child abuse and the Holy See

General discussions
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:35 pm

The UN Human Rights Council today published a written statement by IHEU on the role of the Holy See in the child abuse scandals that rocked the Catholic Church in recent years, and its failure to honour its obligations under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Commenting on the report, Roy Brown, IHEU Main Representative at the UN Geneva said: "The Holy See has been heavily implicated for decades in covering up cases of child abuse carried our by its clergy and religious orders, in obstructing justice, and in failing to deal appropriately with abusers. Yet for too long it has been given a free ride by the international community because of its presumed moral leadership. Our report is the first to bring the issue to the attention of the Council. We shall be referring to our report in the plenary of the Human Rights Council next week."

http://www.iheu.org/un-publishes-iheu-s ... d-holy-see
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: UN publishes IHEU statement on child abuse and the Holy See

Post by ctr » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Now things start to get interesting
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:54 pm

At the Hitch Fry debate in London one of the guys involved in this asked a question from the audience.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Rev j.jones

Post by Rev j.jones » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:36 am

The link in this post is to a clip of very important documentary evidence about the catholic church. I doubt any orgaisation in this state has the moral authority to refute it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABSoHYQr6k
"The Meek a'int gonna inherit shit"
"I've got a hell of a lot of weapons to fight! I got my claws, I got cutlasses, I got guns, I got dynamite, I got a hell of a lot of fight! I will fight!" Rev Jones cured religion for 950 americans.
Gadfly

Post by Gadfly » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:30 am

Rev j.jones wrote:The link in this post is to a clip of very important documentary evidence about the catholic church. I doubt any orgaisation in this state has the moral authority to refute it.

Very funny. :lol:
"I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating upon another." Lord Byron.
bockedy

Post by bockedy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:52 am

Rev j.jones wrote:The link in this post is to a clip of very important documentary evidence about the catholic church. I doubt any orgaisation in this state has the moral authority to refute it.

Definitely very very funny, and timely. No doubt Catholics will be extremely offended at this video, but at the end of the day, it's obvious parody. No worse than a fairly average South Park.
May Ea smite thee with the might of his fist!
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 pm

ctr wrote:Now things start to get interesting

Unfortunately the UN is a toothless tiger. If it can't stop the wars in the Middle East how can it deal with the Vatican.
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

UN: IHEU calls the Vatican to account over child abuse.

Post by eccles » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:03 pm

UN: IHEU calls the Vatican to account over child abuse.

The Vatican (known in diplomatic circles at the "Holy See") was accused by IHEU at the UN Human Rights Council today (22 September 2009) of both covering up child abuse and allowing it to continue. The speech by IHEU representative Keith Porteous Wood also drew attention to the failure of the Holy See to comply with its obligations under International Law.

http://www.iheu.org/iheu-calls-vatican- ... convention

Make sure to watch the Video.

I have joined the Forum of the IHEU and will follow up this matter.
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
FXR

Post by FXR » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:16 pm

And this is completely unknown to most of the CCL followers in Ireland because there is no organsation actively trying to inform them.
Regens Küchl

Re:

Post by Regens Küchl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:49 am

FXR wrote:And this is completely unknown to most of the CCL followers in Ireland because there is no organsation actively trying to inform them.
So why do you not open a thread to inform the people here :
http://irishcatholics.proboards.com/ind ... rd=heathen