Is there such a thing as a moderate atheist?

General discussions

Is there such a thing as a moderate atheist?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 11
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Is there such a thing as a moderate atheist?

Post by CitizenPaine » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:42 pm

brianmmulligan wrote:If fundamentalist religious people claimed that their is no such thing as a moderate atheist, would we agree with them?
This Atheist is someone who is able to separate non-belief from a desire to eliminate religion. The criticisms of religion that I make in this forum are motivated solely from my perception that religious interests have been, and still are, trampling on my civic and human rights in this country, and inhibiting social progress. I'm also a little fearful that certain elements of other religious groupings will cause serious damage globally in the future, although I would be desireous of keeping this in perspective.

That I think religion to be irrational and delusional is a seperate matter. I hold tarot card reading, water dowsing, astrology, spoon bending and homeopathic medicines (among many other similar things) to be irrational and delusional, but I never written one word against them, anywhere. This is because I believe in personal liberty for all, as well as freedom of expression. As long as the people who take some comfort from these practices and beliefs do not impinge on my space, I say good luck to them, and as soon as religion is in that catagory [Martha - it's really not necessary to remind me that we have a long way to go], I will take the same attitude to it.

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Martha.
And do all your letters to Bliar et al produce any positive results, do you think?
I don't know if it does any good or not, I just feel a need to do something, there isn't much more I can do as an individual.Image
Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.
eamonnm79

Post by eamonnm79 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:55 am

NOt only is there such a thing as a moderite atheist, this site could be split into members who are more or less moderite. I watched a documentary on niamhs advice 'the trouble with atheism' The presenter had a problem with atheists who were fundamentalist. He said that they had many similar traits to christian fundimentalists. I found it hard to disagree. I like citizens paines attitude, where people should be free once not impinging on him (isnt that the proper meaning of anarchy?)
Later