Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

General discussions
Regens Küchl
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

Post by Regens Küchl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:11 pm

mkaobrih wrote:I don’t like all this “lets attack the catholic idiots” stuff – after all, they are our friend and families.
You got the Idea wrong.
Neither did anyone call catholics idiots nor did we want to attack them :!:

And "trolling" in these forums would of course be pointless :!:

The Idea was to be so fair as to let them be able and defend themselves in questions about public catholic scandals :o
And their reactions were interesting. They did not really want to discuss this :oops:
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

Post by eccles » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 pm

Regens Küchl wrote:
mkaobrih wrote:I don’t like all this “lets attack the catholic idiots” stuff – after all, they are our friend and families.
You got the Idea wrong.
Neither did anyone call catholics idiots nor did we want to attack them :!:

And "trolling" in these forums would of course be pointless :!:

The Idea was to be so fair as to let them be able and defend themselves in questions about public catholic scandals :o
And their reactions were interesting. They did not really want to discuss this :oops:
I recommend read these articles:

Broken Rites on Ridsdale
http://brokenrites.alphalink.com.au/nle ... sdale.html

Wiki on Ridsdale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Francis_Ridsdale

Pell links to Ridsdale
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/ ... 24376.html

The case of former Fr. Ridsdale is a shocker. I have read many sordid stories about sexual crimes in the CCL, but this is the worst. I'll bet "Catholic Answers" would play them right down. The Bishop Muklearns referred to, I sort of knew. At the time I used to go to Mass at St. Patricks Cathedral, Melbourne he was one of the priests there and did not seem to be the friendly kind. Few priests were friendly. They would say Mass then disappear to the Sacristy and never appear in public - never greet the faithfull after Mass.
em hotep

Image

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
Jerry
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:01 am
Location: South Dakota, USA

Re: Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

Post by Jerry » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:18 am

eccles wrote:Posted on the AFA Forum:

Isn't the sight of people bowing down in front of the statue of a man who has been horribly tortured to death, then pretending to eat bits of him and drink his blood enough!!!! Christianity is a Death Cult of the worst kind. "God" didn't manage to save 180 million people from war deaths since 1900. If God exists then he CAUSED the deaths. Not someone (thing??) I want to worship.
Generally speaking, do you blame God because it's easier than accepting responsibility for your own actions?
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."
~~Thomas Jefferson
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

Post by eccles » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:41 am

Jerry wrote:
eccles wrote:Posted on the AFA Forum:

Isn't the sight of people bowing down in front of the statue of a man who has been horribly tortured to death, then pretending to eat bits of him and drink his blood enough!!!! Christianity is a Death Cult of the worst kind. "God" didn't manage to save 180 million people from war deaths since 1900. If God exists then he CAUSED the deaths. Not someone (thing??) I want to worship.
Generally speaking, do you blame God because it's easier than accepting responsibility for your own actions?
Of course not. That is stupid. How could I blame a non-existant "god" for something I did. Not only that I do not worship anything. Oh, I worship Gwyneth Paltrow because I consider she is the most beautiful girl in the world, but that is a different matter.

Jerry, using the word "God" as you did makes the false assumption that you believe in "God". If anyone askes me if I believe in "God", I won't answer "no" because that assumes the existance of "god". I say "As there is no "God" the question is wrong."
em hotep

Image

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
Jerry
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:01 am
Location: South Dakota, USA

Re: Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

Post by Jerry » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:03 am

eccles wrote: Of course not. That is stupid. How could I blame a non-existant "god" for something I did. Not only that I do not worship anything. Oh, I worship Gwyneth Paltrow because I consider she is the most beautiful girl in the world, but that is a different matter.

Jerry, using the word "God" as you did makes the false assumption that you believe in "God". If anyone askes me if I believe in "God", I won't answer "no" because that assumes the existance of "god". I say "As there is no "God" the question is wrong."
You did not answer my question with "As there is no "God" the question is wrong."

I asked you if you blamed God because of [X], and you answered "of course not".

Don't you dare even try to equivocate now, you aren't getting away with it :P

As per Thomas Theorem you will of course express your subjective personal beliefs as objective empirical fact. Please feel comfortable enough to continue doing so. I understand completely. Your say-so is no different than the theist who believes in God and subsequently asserts "God exists". Again, this is Thomas Theorem in action. Your assertion is completely logical even if false, because it exists as an element of a greater logical framework. Don't let anyone take that truth from you.

Your argument allows one the freedom to assume God exists for the purposes of an academic discussion. If God exists, why then do you attribute these wars and murders to God instead of the people?
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."
~~Thomas Jefferson
Regens Küchl
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

Post by Regens Küchl » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:11 am

Jerry wrote: Your argument allows one the freedom to assume God exists for the purposes of an academic discussion. If God exists, why then do you attribute these wars and murders to God instead of the people?
Jerry, your question to eccles is also so wrong, because you forgot to state :?: which god :?: you mean :!:
There are so many, you know, and without your explaining to whom of them you refer it is an illogical brainless question :oops:
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

Post by eccles » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:44 am

Jerry,
I must answer you on this:
"Your argument allows one the freedom to assume God exists for the purposes of an academic discussion. If God exists, why then do you attribute these wars and murders to God instead of the people?"

I did not imply that. I was referring to the Old Testament and the "God" of the Old Testament. Now we all know the OT is bullshit. The earliest it was written was in the 7th century BCE by persons unknown. The Pentateuch certainly was not written, or composed by Moses. Whoever wrote the OT had a vivid imagination. Then Christians like Hebrews thought it was the Word of God, written by God through men.

When the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church was founded by Constantine I in 325 CE at the Council of Nicea, the New Testament had been written, once again by persons unknown. Up until Nicea it was being revised and was heavily edited at Nicea. After Nicea there were many arguments between Church Fathers over the interpretation of the Bible. That still goes on these days. Give 5 preachers one chapter of the Bible and see how many interpretations you get, even in the Roman Catholic Church.

If one considers the Bible as the inspired Word of "God" one has to believe the whole bible, not some passages. All or None.

To sum up. If the murders I referred to did happen they had nothing to do with a "God". "God" was made in the mind of man. The Roman Catholic Church uses this fictious "God" to control humans. The Roman Catholic Church for about 1,500 years used torture and slaughter against anyone who questioned the Church - The Holy Inquisition.

My comment on the "Holy" Bible: It is the worst book of fiction ever written and is not suitable for anyone under 18. It should be classified as Horror/Fiction.
em hotep

Image

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
Jerry
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:01 am
Location: South Dakota, USA

Re: Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

Post by Jerry » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Regens Küchl wrote: Jerry, your question to eccles is also so wrong, because you forgot to state :?: which god :?: you mean :!:
There are so many, you know, and without your explaining to whom of them you refer it is an illogical brainless question :oops:
Which ever god the OP was referring to. His rant was against Christianity, so one might assume Christ (note the name of the god embedded in the name of the religion. See also Buddhism as an example of this.)

For the sake of discussion, let's insert a god at random: His Noodliness, The Flying Spaghetti Monster.
eccles wrote:Isn't the sight of people bowing down in front of the [platter] of a [pasta] who has been horribly [over boiled and seasoned with generic Wal-Mart garlic salt], then pretending to eat bits of him and drink his [sauce] enough!!!! [Pastapherianism] is a Death Cult of the worst kind. "The Flying Spigettie Monster]" didn't manage to save 180 million people from war deaths since 1900. If [The Flying Spaghetti Monster] exists then he CAUSED the deaths. Not someone (thing??) I want to worship.
So, why blame His Noodliness for these actions instead of the people?
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."
~~Thomas Jefferson
Jerry
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:01 am
Location: South Dakota, USA

Re: Cut to the chase: Christianity sucks

Post by Jerry » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:08 pm

eccles wrote:Jerry,
I must answer you on this:
"Your argument allows one the freedom to assume God exists for the purposes of an academic discussion. If God exists, why then do you attribute these wars and murders to God instead of the people?"

I did not imply that. I was referring to the Old Testament and the "God" of the Old Testament. Now we all know the OT is bullshit. The earliest it was written was in the 7th century BCE by persons unknown. The Pentateuch certainly was not written, or composed by Moses. Whoever wrote the OT had a vivid imagination. Then Christians like Hebrews thought it was the Word of God, written by God through men.

When the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church was founded by Constantine I in 325 CE at the Council of Nicea, the New Testament had been written, once again by persons unknown. Up until Nicea it was being revised and was heavily edited at Nicea. After Nicea there were many arguments between Church Fathers over the interpretation of the Bible. That still goes on these days. Give 5 preachers one chapter of the Bible and see how many interpretations you get, even in the Roman Catholic Church.
Your little history lesson here has nothing to do with the thread topic.
eccles wrote:If one considers the Bible as the inspired Word of "God" one has to believe the whole bible, not some passages. All or None.
Only if you're a literalist, which I'm not.
eccles wrote:To sum up. If the murders I referred to did happen they had nothing to do with a "God".
Then why blame God?
eccles wrote:"God" was made in the mind of man.
http://godpart.com/
eccles wrote:The Roman Catholic Church uses this fictious "God" to control humans. The Roman Catholic Church for about 1,500 years used torture and slaughter against anyone who questioned the Church - The Holy Inquisition.
Wow imagine that, an oppressive government using any excuse it can to suppress its people.

Did God do these things, or did men? Learn the difference :wink:
eccles wrote:My comment on the "Holy" Bible: It is the worst book of fiction ever written and is not suitable for anyone under 18. It should be classified as Horror/Fiction.
That's very cute, I hope you feel better now :)

****
You said if God exists then God caused all this evil.

If God exists, why blame Him instead of the people?
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."
~~Thomas Jefferson
Post Reply