2006 Census of population

General discussions
Haymoon

2006 Census of population

Post by Haymoon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:11 pm

Figures from the 2006 census of population published to-day reveal the following information – under the “Religion” heading

In the period 2002 to 2006 the “No religion” category increased by 34.6% while the total population increased by 8.2% in the same period, which must give some cause for satisfaction.

The not stated category decreased by 11.2% which means more people are willing to "come out of the closet" and declare their non religious status

More details at

http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/Fina ... 202006.pdf

Page 31
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: 2006 Census of population

Post by CitizenPaine » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:08 pm

Haymoon wrote:In the period 2002 to 2006 the “No religion” category increased by 34.6% while the total population increased by 8.2% in the same period, which must give some cause for satisfaction.

The not stated category decreased by 11.2% which means more people are willing to "come out of the closet" and declare their non religious status
That's good. This, however, shows that old habits die hard:
Table 36 classifies usual residents by religion and nationality. The table shows that 92 per cent of Irish nationals were Roman Catholics
I suppose, as per Richard Dawkins, as a lot of them are newborns they will be people who have had their religious affiliation decided for them without their knowledge or consent.

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:28 pm

''I suppose, as per Richard Dawkins, as a lot of them are newborns they will be people who have had their religious affiliation decided for them without their knowledge or consent''.

It doesn't matter one iota. The vast majority of them will be brainwashed before they start school and once they have been seeded with superstition it is very difficult to do anything about it and most will be irretrievably lost to the skyfairy.
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:35 pm

zhollie wrote:The vast majority of them will be brainwashed before they start school and once they have been seeded with superstition it is very difficult to do anything about it and most will be irretrievably lost to the skyfairy.
I'm not so sure. They will all, at least potenitally, be exposed to information and ideas such as are provided by this web site, unike the situation in the past.

We live in hope.

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
Haymoon

Census 2006

Post by Haymoon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:40 pm

Table 35 has some peculiar features

1,515 persons are said to be agnostic, 929 atheist, 8,576 other stated religions and then 186,318 no religion.

Does this mean agnostics and atheists are considered by the CSO to have a religion :?: :?
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by alfonso » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:19 pm

It surely looks that way, Haymoon. Quite sad. Ignorance is a terrible thing, isn't that what the worst of religion is all about?
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:24 pm

CitizenPaine wrote:
zhollie wrote:The vast majority of them will be brainwashed before they start school and once they have been seeded with superstition it is very difficult to do anything about it and most will be irretrievably lost to the skyfairy.
You're quite right about that, zhollie!
CitizenPaine wrote:I'm not so sure. They will all, at least potenitally, be exposed to information and ideas such as are provided by this web site, unike the situation in the past.
We're only "preaching to the converted" or arguing with trolls on sites like this :roll:
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:29 pm

CitizenPaine wrote:
I'm not so sure. They will all, at least potenitally, be exposed to information and ideas such as are provided by this web site, unike the situation in the past.

We live in hope.

CitizenPaine
Well, we do indeed have to hopeful. I always maintain that if the progressive and rational elements of our society are to have any impact or undermine the influence of religion then we have to get ''god'' out of the schools. Those who desire religious instruction for their kids should do so in their own time and at their own expense.

If this ideal ever came to fruition then we would probably see a dramatic shift in the census figures regarding religion. A substantial and sizeable number of the people who describe themselves as Catholic probably would not be bothered sending their kids to a sunday school, seeing it as a further expense but a wholly avoidable expense at that.
tony

Post by tony » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:57 pm

Roman Catholic (Male 1,818,390)(Female 1,863,056)
Church of Ireland (incl. Protestant) (Male 61,752) (Female 63,833)

Agnostic (Male 971) (Female 544)
Atheist (Male 641) (Female 288)
No religion (Male 110,756) (Female 75,562)

Interesting to see that for non-believers there are nearly twice as many men as women. Unlike most of the religions where the male female ratio is very close.

Men are more prone to disbelief I suppose. The risk takers. Any comments?

What the HELL is a "Lapsed Catholic" anyway. Am I a lapsed Santy Claus believer too? I dont like it. Its a negative Religious term.
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:32 pm

tony wrote:

Men are more prone to disbelief I suppose. The risk takers. Any comments?
Well, I am most decidedly an atheistic woman, but I've always felt I had very little in common with my fellow Irish women. As for my experience of Irish men, they do tend to be risk-takers, but in a reckless, materialistic (immature) way - not in the same way I (as a mother) would take a risk. I suppose what I'm saying here is, I consider myself a lot more adventurous that your average Irish woman :wink:
tony wrote:What the HELL is a "Lapsed Catholic" anyway.
An Irish "adult" who has yet to "cut the cord"?