2006 Census of population

General discussions
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:45 am

eamonnm79 wrote:.. and convert the herd.
Fuck the herd! Let 'em run right over the cliff, is what I say 8)
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:58 pm

Martha wrote:
Ah no... some of my friends and family are in the herd
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Census 2006

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:13 pm

Haymoon wrote:Table 35 has some peculiar features

1,515 persons are said to be agnostic, 929 atheist, 8,576 other stated religions and then 186,318 no religion.

Does this mean agnostics and atheists are considered by the CSO to have a religion :?: :?
No it means that that many people wrote the word atheist or agnostic into a box designtated for a 'religion'.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:15 pm

Martha wrote:
yeah you say that a lot. Problem is the metaphorical cliff in the metaphorical universe is invisible to the heard and delusion is enough to allow the heard to defy gravity.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:31 am

eamonnm79 wrote:I think its very encouraging that we are the fastest growing group in the country over the last four years. I agree with most people earlier, it would be fair enough to add the athiest and agnostic to non religious to get our true figure. Considering the amount of power and propeganda those catholics have I think it is a thumbs up for reason. If we grow by 50-60% every four years it will not be long till, I reland will be considered secular. I think we could grow even faster if we could get to a tippping point and convert the herd.
What you need to consider is the fact that for there to be any stats under 'Atheist' at all it means that those people have writtent he word 'Atheist' in a cell entitled with words to the effect of 'Other Religion'. Technically if you are an atheist or an agnostic you should have selected 'No Religion'. I know I did.
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:57 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
What you need to consider is the fact that for there to be any stats under 'Atheist' at all it means that those people have writtent he word 'Atheist' in a cell entitled with words to the effect of 'Other Religion'. Technically if you are an atheist or an agnostic you should have selected 'No Religion'. I know I did.
Thats what I put down "No Religion". So did my old dear but she does'nt know that, her hearing aid battery was gone that day :wink:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:07 pm

I've just been revisiting the census figures and I've come up with an interesting statistic. If Roman Catholics and Church of Ireland (the two traditional churches in the country) figures are removed, and if we define agnostic, atheist, lapsed RC, no religion and not stated as non-believers, it turns out that these outnumber all other religions in the Republic of Ireland combined, at 6.12% versus 5.74% of the total population.

Looking at the figures in this way also reveals that non-believers are the second most numerous category, after Roman Catholic, and there are almost exactly twice as many non-believers as there are members of the Church of Ireland.

Interestingly the census designers did not allow a category for Humanists, who represent the only non-believing group that has been invited to take part in the government's "Structured Dialogue with Churches, Faith Communities and Non-Confessional Bodies".

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:38 pm

CitizenPaine wrote:I've just been revisiting the census figures and I've come up with an interesting statistic. If Roman Catholics and Church of Ireland (the two traditional churches in the country) figures are removed, and if we define agnostic, atheist, lapsed RC, no religion and not stated as non-believers, it turns out that these outnumber all other religions in the Republic of Ireland combined, at 6.12% versus 5.74% of the total population.

Looking at the figures in this way also reveals that non-believers are the second most numerous category, after Roman Catholic, and there are almost exactly twice as many non-believers as there are members of the Church of Ireland.

Interestingly the census designers did not allow a category for Humanists, who represent the only non-believing group that has been invited to take part in the government's "Structured Dialogue with Churches, Faith Communities and Non-Confessional Bodies".
CitizenPaine
They should have a category called "un-deluded" as well. I think we should sponsor a survey that asked which would people prefer when it comes to education:
A: Children should be taught how to think
or
B: Children should be that what to think
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
colm-ccfc84

Post by colm-ccfc84 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:55 pm

On the issue of no religion, atheism etc: I remember that I ticked 'no religion', there was no atheist option, there was an other and specify but to me atheism certainly is not a religion! I am as staunch an athesit as you will come across! There should be more clarity on the form.
colm-ccfc84

Post by colm-ccfc84 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:58 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote: What you need to consider is the fact that for there to be any stats under 'Atheist' at all it means that those people have writtent he word 'Atheist' in a cell entitled with words to the effect of 'Other Religion'. Technically if you are an atheist or an agnostic you should have selected 'No Religion'. I know I did.
Exactly, that is what I did. Atheism certainly does not come under 'other religion'.