2006 Census of population

General discussions
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:23 pm

Martha wrote:
CitizenPaine wrote: If I were of independent means I would make it my life's work to attempt to achieve just that.
You will never be of "independent means" that is, stand of your own two feet as the unique individual you are (unless you have been thoroughly cloned by your Irish Catholic upbringing - in which case, forget it) if you don't have the courage to assert yourself. That is, be a separate person in your own right.... which is a very difficult thing to do if your mother happens to be a life-long prisoner of Roman Catholicism :cry:
Pssst...I think he meant money wise...independent means as in loads of dosh, moolah, dinero, sheckles.....
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:25 pm

FXR wrote: I could gladly spend hundreds of millions on ways to change this county without ever resorting to coercion. Simply by giving people a free choice we would be rid of the Vatican in a decade.
I'd build schools, fund research, sponsor independent tribunals of inquiry and launch a hundred court cases against the forces of darkness till there was steam rising from every dog collar in Ireland.

Gotta go I'm off to buy a ticket in the euro millions!
Bertie and his PD Corporate mates (aka the Irish branch of the Catholic Church) have all the money in the world to change our Third-World system for the better, for most people in this country, yet they don't do it. See? Its not money alone that changes a corrupt system. Its ..... well, I'm not going to tell you, cos if you don't know what it takes, then why should I tell you :roll:
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:31 pm

FXR wrote:
How much worse (for the forces of darkness) would it sound if rephrased it to: people who no longer believe in the catholic church or who no longer follow catholic instructions.

Well, why don't Irish people explicitly say that for themselves? Who knows? Maybe they do, and Official Catholic Ireland "doctors" the Census :roll:
Martha

Re: Census 2006

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:39 pm

zhollie wrote: I simply cannot accept that such a hugh amount of people could purposefully declare that they have 'no religion'. What exactly are they saying? That they are Deists?
Well, I'm one who is saying I have "no religion". That I am not a member of any religious group and that doesn't make me a "deist". It just means I am a normal human being who has no need of an organised religion. I can make my own way through life very well, without the dictacts of fucked-up ideologists and fantasists (predators and paedophiles) thank you very much for your "kind" concern:!:
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:40 pm

Martha wrote:
FXR wrote:
How much worse (for the forces of darkness) would it sound if rephrased it to: people who no longer believe in the catholic church or who no longer follow catholic instructions.

Well, why don't Irish people explicitly say that for themselves? Who knows? Maybe they do, and Official Catholic Ireland "doctors" the Census :roll:
"That wouldn't surprise me one bit.
I've been wondering lately about the Irish book awards. It was won by the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Whatever about the holocaust its not a new story and Ireland does not have any great population of Jews. Also Dawkins book has been selling so well its still on the shelves. Add to the people here and on Dawkins.net voting and then all the money I spent on postal votes......

Its not who votes its who counts the votes".
Joseph Stalin
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:42 pm

FXR wrote:
Pssst...I think he meant money wise...independent means as in loads of dosh, moolah, dinero, sheckles.....
I know that! I was just trying to make him aware of that fact :roll:
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:43 pm

smiffy wrote: Actually, to understand the relatively small number of self-declared 'atheists' and 'agnostics' in the Census Results you need to look at the Census Form itself. The form, under the question 'What is your religion' only allowed for a small number of options to be chosen. Option 6 was 'Other', and if chosen, people were asked to specify. Option 7 was a tickbox saying 'No religion'.

The numbers of 'atheists' and 'agnostics' in the results represent only those who wrote down 'atheist' or 'agnostic' as a response to Option 6. Frankly, I think this displays a misunderstanding of what atheism actually means (it implies that it's actually a religious faith, on par with any other). I would have thought that the vast majority of atheists would have gone for the 'No religion' option. I know that's what I did.
Yep I checked "no religion" It just seemed like the only way to fill the form out correctly. If you checked "other" you were supposed to specify a religion. At least that's the way I understood it.

Those who went to the trouble of writing Atheist of Agnostic may have been hoping that that option will be included next time around.
Last edited by CatHerder on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:44 pm

smiffy wrote:
zhollie wrote:
Haymoon wrote:Table 35 has some peculiar features

1,515 persons are said to be agnostic, 929 atheist, 8,576 other stated religions and then 186,318 no religion.

Does this mean agnostics and atheists are considered by the CSO to have a religion :?: :?
People may not have a formal religion but still believe in a god of some sort. I wonder if there is a sizeable proportion of the people in the ''no religion'' category who misunderstand the difference between athism and no religion? I would say that there is. I simply cannot accept that such a hugh amount of people could purposefully declare that they have 'no religion'. What exactly are they saying? That they are Deists? They want the best of both worlds. A God they don't have to worship but one which absolves them of any need to think about the creation of the universe, religion or the number 42, as Douglas Adams would have it.

For many people, who do not take an active interest in all this, the word ''atheist'' like anarchicm, might come with a lot of negative connotations and misaprehensions and, therefore, people might be reticent about throwing their lot in with us?
Actually, to understand the relatively small number of self-declared 'atheists' and 'agnostics' in the Census Results you need to look at the Census Form itself. The form, under the question 'What is your religion' only allowed for a small number of options to be chosen. Option 6 was 'Other', and if chosen, people were asked to specify. Option 7 was a tickbox saying 'No religion'.

The numbers of 'atheists' and 'agnostics' in the results represent only those who wrote down 'atheist' or 'agnostic' as a response to Option 6. Frankly, I think this displays a misunderstanding of what atheism actually means (it implies that it's actually a religious faith, on par with any other). I would have thought that the vast majority of atheists would have gone for the 'No religion' option. I know that's what I did.
Do you want to know what I did with me Census Form??? Hee-hee....
FXR

Census 2006

Post by FXR » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:50 pm

CatHerder wrote: Those who went to the trouble of writing Atheist of Agnostic may have been hoping that that option will be included next time around.
I wrote down no religion. It seemed the logical choice.
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:52 pm

Martha wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
Still can't understand woman, it is normally the more oppressed that rebel first.
Not so. The most oppressed women are the ones who perpetuate the oppressive status quo that produced them. Clones breed clones....

Its the ones who are the least oppressed (damaged) who are the most effective in changing the system, because they are the true non-conformists. That's what brings the system down :wink:

That is so very true. For example the Muslim tradition of wearing a burqa is as much perpetuated by women as it is by men in many cases. Other crimes against women, such as female circumcision are also performed by women who have been so mentally abused as to believe there is something of merit in being circumcised.

No, the more thorough the brainwashing the less likelyhood the rebellion.