Fiction and Atheism

General discussions

Is there a link between the growth in no religious belief and the lack of religion in sci-fi

Poll ended at Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:32 am

yes
25%
no
75%

Total votes: 8
eamonnm79

Fiction and Atheism

Post by eamonnm79 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:32 am

Do the often secular portrayals of the future created in sci-fi's such as star treck etc help define our non belief in God. That many of us watched this stuff in our youth, could have inpinged on our convictions. Do we owe Gene Rodenbery(creator of star trek) a debt of gratitude for showing us a future witout much religion in human society that was also prosperous and productive. There is very little mention of religion of sci fi in general.
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:41 am

I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, though a lot of my male friends over the years were. Its mainly a guy thing, isn't it? Though I love Douglas Adams' stuff..

In answer to your question: I think (pretty sure, actually) that the source of religious belief is in early childhood. One's interest in sci-fi may well be connected to that early conditioning.... looking for The Answers to life, as one does, if not sufficiently loved as a child??
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:13 am

If there was a link between Captain Kirk and all the rest we would be living in a world without religion by now.

All the wonderful hopeful stuff you hear in songs and speeches by the one off heroes don't translate into the reality of what's going in fact.

If there was as much "love" and "peace" and "inspiration" in everyday life as you hear on the radio or see in your favourite TV programme you'd be living in a wonderland now.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Stublore

Post by Stublore » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:50 am

The unfortunate reality esp of Sci Fi progs, is that they usually descend into religion, the new series of Battlestar Galactica being a prime example. In most cases when mysticism is introduced to Sci Fi, religion follows quite quickly, the only series that springs to mind that did not do this was Babylon5.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:28 pm

There is. If you are asking is there a cause and effect link then no. If you were to take a survey you would find that most sci-fi fans would be on the lower end of the religious spectrum, i.e their believe in god would not be stong. A lot of sci-fi authors are agnostic or atheists, i am not sure if this applies to fantasy authors but I would expect something simalar.
Sci fi fans have a wonder of what can be, what the human race can acheive or what possibilities are out there in the universe.
You can argue that sci-fi may cause a person to ask questions, but I think the person has to be in a frame of mind or have a root tendancy to set aside what they have been taught and allow a bit of freedom for their imagination but then be able to discern between reality and fiction. Religious people have a tendancy to believe the bible and believe what they are told. Many of these people would believe that the sulivan brothers got to heaven because it was seen in the film yet turn their noses up at kirk's communiction device which look's like todays mobile phones. They would like to believe that jesus floated off the ground in the Passion of Christ but would scoff at the idea that it is possible to allow an object to be suspended in air.

Atheists & sci fi fans are more likely to use reason and logic, there are extremes of sci-fi fans but these ( the ones in costumes and know the script of all of star trek) but these are bordering on religious. There are plenty of fans out their who don't dress up or run a debate on who was better Picard or Kirk.

I am a sci fi fan myself but was I an atheist before a sci fi? I don't know. I personally think it was my frame of mind, my personality or my intelligience that propelled me towards both. I am not an atheist because of sci fi but I am neither a sci fi because I am an athiest. I am both because something within me gave me a tendancy to be both.

Rincewind.
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by alfonso » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:00 pm

I was passionate about sci-fi when younger, still am, but I read more down-to-earth stuff nowadays.

My way of looking at this is, I can read stuff that is clearly made-up, not true, in somebody's imagination only, get all interested in the content, wanting to share it with others, and lots more... but when I close the book I know that what I just read is not true. It is FICTION.

The bible, along with any other holy books should go into the fiction section. Put all the alternative medicine books in there too, with astrology. And some books on politics as well.
Martha

Post by Martha » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:30 am

FXR wrote:
If there was as much "love" and "peace" and "inspiration" in everyday life as you hear on the radio or see in your favourite TV programme you'd be living in a wonderland now.
Those who live the Wonderful Life don't bother with all those luvvy-dovey soaps and pop-culture crap etc. They're way too busy doing their own creative evolutionary thing :lol:
Martha

Post by Martha » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:36 am

Stublore wrote:The unfortunate reality esp of Sci Fi progs, is that they usually descend into religion, the new series of Battlestar Galactica being a prime example. In most cases when mysticism is introduced to Sci Fi, religion follows quite quickly, the only series that springs to mind that did not do this was Babylon5.
That's a very interesting observation, Stublore! That same thought occurred to me, of late... seems to me, its the same old Hollywood manipulative mind-controlling shit. It just gets more "sophisticated" with each new generation. What do you think?
Martha

Post by Martha » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:58 am

alfonso wrote:I was passionate about sci-fi when younger, still am, but I read more down-to-earth stuff nowadays.

My way of looking at this is, I can read stuff that is clearly made-up, not true, in somebody's imagination only, get all interested in the content, wanting to share it with others, and lots more... but when I close the book I know that what I just read is not true. It is FICTION.
Fair enough, alfonso. But aren't us humans very influenced by the written word? Especially those of us who have little or no tangible physical means of persuasion or influence in our daily lives? Why else do you think books (full of all kinds of promise and hope, and rubbish and lies) sell in their millions, billions and zillions, on a daily basis... not least, FICTION! NB: Its no accident that the Burning of Books is a favourite amongst our dictators throughout history!
alfonso wrote:The bible, along with any other holy books should go into the fiction section. Put all the alternative medicine books in there too, with astrology. And some books on politics as well. 8) 8)
Slow down there alfonso! Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, OK? So-called Alternative Medicine is (essentially) all about the plants, including many weeds, that grow naturally in Nature. As the saying goes: "The best things in life are free" and its a sad, but true, fact of modern life that the majority of people haven't a clue that all they need is right under their own noses and its free! But (whisper-whisper) the sociopaths in power are onto this fact and they have been reletlessly trying to harvest all of Nature's Bounty for themselves, in order to make Big Bucks. As if??? As if they could ever control the whole planet! So anyway, what they HAVE managed to do (thus far) is merely mimic all these wonderful health-enhancing, life-saving plants - that naturally grow all around us, and sell us (the ignorant, fear-ridden masses: include me out) their synthetic version of the real thing. To cut a long story short, I've been "growing my own" for a number of years now - and no, I'm not talking about Marijuana (which is very easy to grow) but about a whole host of other plants which I use in cooking my delicious meals every day.

Bye for now...
Martha
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by alfonso » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:13 pm

Well, watch out of atheist or god-despising characters out there in TV shows and movies (the kind of stuff the mindless drones stuff their brains with in exclusivity) and tell me if they are role models. Not enough good atheists out there, except maybe Gene Roddenberry 's.

Martha, alternative medicine, by definition, is the medicine not proven to work. If it worked, it wouldn't be alternative. So, the only thing that differentiates alternative from traditional is that there is no proof that it works.

Sci-fi books (good ones at least) have plenty of valid science in them, I still put them in the fiction section.

I recently read (can't recall the source right now) that daily sex significantly improves life expectancy. Sometimes the best things are simply right there we can't see them ;) I could have told them the result beforehand, though :P