Fiction and Atheism

General discussions

Is there a link between the growth in no religious belief and the lack of religion in sci-fi

Poll ended at Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:32 am

yes
25%
no
75%

Total votes: 8
eamonnm79

Post by eamonnm79 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:13 am

I think after reading rincewoods comments I would have to agree with a lot of what he said. Thanks for your insights.
Martha

Post by Martha » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:22 am

alfonso wrote:
Martha, alternative medicine, by definition, is the medicine not proven to work. If it worked, it wouldn't be alternative. So, the only thing that differentiates alternative from traditional is that there is no proof that it works.
Are you saying you trust (believe in) traditional medicine, which (at this stage of the game) is the preserve of Big Pharma? Give me naturally-grown herbs any day!

BTW, Conventional medicine kills more people than it "fixes" - AND its a hell of a lot more expensive than Mother Nature's actual cures :wink:
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by alfonso » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:18 am

Martha wrote:BTW, Conventional medicine kills more people than it "fixes" - AND its a hell of a lot more expensive than Mother Nature's actual cures :wink:
Prove it or shut up.

*EDIT*

Of course, not that you'd need my permission to speak, but if you are planning on accusing anyone of being a murderer, I think you need some proof. JUST in case you decide to get me wrong with my blunt response.
Martha

Post by Martha » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:04 pm

alfonso wrote: Of course, not that you'd need my permission to speak, but if you are planning on accusing anyone of being a murderer, I think you need some proof. JUST in case you decide to get me wrong with my blunt response.
You don't happen to work for a big multinational pharma company, by any chance, or the Irish Medical Establishment :roll:

Its a fairly common occurrence (these days) that so-called safe (wonder) drugs are pulled from the market, because they have been proven to be damaging to health, even fatal in some cases. And its also common knowledge that a lot of orthodox drugs have very serious side-effects.
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:56 pm

Martha wrote:
alfonso wrote: Of course, not that you'd need my permission to speak, but if you are planning on accusing anyone of being a murderer, I think you need some proof. JUST in case you decide to get me wrong with my blunt response.
You don't happen to work for a big multinational pharma company, by any chance, or the Irish Medical Establishment :roll:

Its a fairly common occurrence (these days) that so-called safe (wonder) drugs are pulled from the market, because they have been proven to be damaging to health, even fatal in some cases. And its also common knowledge that a lot of orthodox drugs have very serious side-effects.
I think if people were given the simple choice between conventional medicine and alternative (if not traditional) they will generally go for conventional. They know that conventional medicine has increased the lifespan of individuals significantly in the last 150 years and also reduced suffering during life quite significantly. The mistakes made in conventional medicine are dwarfed in comparison to the benefits that have accrued. It is interesting to note that in regards to the recently (and very expensively) developed treatments for AIDS, the pharma companies are not criticised for rushing these to market too quickly but instead for not making them more available. It is heartening to see the confidence in these treatments. Alternative medicine does not seem to be as popular in AIDS treatment.
Brian
Martha

Post by Martha » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:18 pm

brianmmulligan wrote: I think if people were given the simple choice between conventional medicine and alternative (if not traditional) they will generally go for conventional.
True, most would, but not all. My natural inclination is to opt for natural remedies. Then I'm not talking about curing serious illnesses, like cancer, heart disease, AIDS and the like, as I don't suffer from any of those. But if I did suffer from cancer, for example, I wouldn't opt for conventional medical treatment, such as chemo and radio-therapy. Instead, I'd look for alternative remedies, such as raw garlic - its great for cleaning the blood and shrinking tumours. But then, those of us who put our faith in Mother Nature are less likely to suffer such life-threatening illness.

By and large (it seems to me) conventional medicine is about dealing with health problems in a strictly materialistic way. For example, its great for helping you to die painlessly e.g., mega doses of morphine for cancer patients. But its not really much good for actually eliminating disease from the body. Ultimately (in most cases, that is) that's up to the individual and his/her attitude to life.
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Martha wrote: But its not really much good for actually eliminating disease from the body. Ultimately (in most cases, that is) that's up to the individual and his/her attitude to life.
I'd be interested to hear about what diseases are more effectively eliminated by changing attitude than by conventional medicine.
Brian
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by alfonso » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:52 pm

Martha wrote:
My wife is a doctor, which probably makes my opinion biased on this matter. But when one of her patients has a heart attack, I don't see them or their families asking for a fucking shaman, but for a real doctor.
Martha wrote: Its a fairly common occurrence (these days) that so-called safe (wonder) drugs are pulled from the market, because they have been proven to be damaging to health, even fatal in some cases. And its also common knowledge that a lot of orthodox drugs have very serious side-effects.
Shit happens. Alternative medicine gives no real results (but placebos), thus risks nothing.
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:33 pm

brianmmulligan wrote:
I'd be interested to hear about what diseases are more effectively eliminated by changing attitude than by conventional medicine.
I honestly believe people become seriously ill with cancer and heart disease etc., because they are clinging to (live by) the same destructive values and belief system as their f*ked-up parents. When we take a really cold-eye close look at where we're coming from (e.g., Holy Catholic Ireland) the ground shifts dramatically under our feet, as it were - and yes, it can be quite traumatic. But this grieving process actually changes our physiology, which in turn makes us healthier both in body and mind, i.e., more in touch with our true nature.
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:38 pm

alfonso wrote:
Shit happens. Alternative medicine gives no real results (but placebos), thus risks nothing.
Shit does indeed happen, alfonso. But, I have to disagree with your on your rubbishing Alternative medicine. The fact is, there are no shortage of chancers and charlatans out there (both in the established medical profession and in the alternative schools) but that does not mean natural herbal remedies don't work. Of course they do. They've worked for centuries - long before modern pharmacopia arrived on the scene! I regularly use herbal remedies and they work for me.
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen