HOW COULD ANYBODY BELIEVE IN THIS GOD?

General discussions
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

HOW COULD ANYBODY BELIEVE IN THIS GOD?

Post by eccles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:13 pm

GOD ORDERS KILLING:
"ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword. And five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put 10,000 to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword" (Lev. 26:7-8).

"the Lord said to Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the Lord against the sun, that the fierce anger of the Lord may be turned away from Israel. And Moses said to the judges of Israel. Slay every one his men that were joined to Baal" (Num. 25:4-5).

"Vex the Midianites and smite them" (Num. 25:17).

"But of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breathes. But thou shalt utterly destroy them...as the Lord thy God has commanded thee" (Deut. 20:16-17).

"So Joshua smote all the country of the hills...he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel commanded" (Joshua 10:40).

"As I listened, god said to the others, 'Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. Slaughter old men, young men and maidens, women and children...." (Ezek. 9:5-6).

"And the Lord sent you on a mission, saying 'Go and completely destroy those wicked people, the Amalekites; make war on them until you have wiped them out.'" (1 Sam. 15:18).

"Attack the land of Merathaim and those who live in Pekod. Pursue, kill and completely destroy them' declares the Lord. Do everything I have commanded you" (Jer. 50:21).

"Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys" (1 Sam. 15:3). Also note: Ex. 32:27-28, Num. 21:34-35, 31:7-8, 35:19-21, and Jer. 48:10

serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died" (Num. 21:6). "See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound and I heal...." (Deut. 32:39). "The Lord smote the men of Beth-shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the Lord, even he smote of the people 50,070 men: and the people lamented, because the Lord had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter" (1 Sam. 6:19). "The Lord kills, and makes alive: he brings down to the grave, and brings up" (1 Sam. 2:6). "the hand of the Lord was heavy upon them of Ashdod, and he destroyed them, and smote them...." (1 Sam. 5:6). "it came to pass about 10 days after, that the Lord smote Nabal, that he died" (1 Sam. 25:38). "Who smote great nations and slew mighty kings...." (Psalms 135:10). "For by fire and by his sword will the Lord plead with all flesh: and the slain of the Lord shall be many" (Isaiah 66:16). "I will dash them one against another, even the father and the sons together, saith the Lord: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them" (Jer. 13:14). "I have sent among you the pestilence after the manner of Egypt: your young men have I slain with the sword...." (Amos 4:10). "For our God is a consuming fire" (Heb. 12:29). Also note: Gen. 38:7,10, Ex. 22:23-24, Num. 11:1, Deut. 32:41-42, Joshua 10:10-11, 1 Sam. 5:9, Psalms 136:17-18, Hosea 9:16, Amos 2:3, Ex. 4:24, 2 Sam. 6:6-7, and 2 Kings 5:7.

HE ORDERS A MAN TO PURCHASE HIS WIFE: "The Lord said to me, 'Go show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adultress. Love her as the Lord loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods.... So I brought her for 15 shekels of silver and about a homer and a half of barley. Then I told her, 'You are to live with me many days...." (Hosea 3:1-3).

HE ORDERS THE TAKING OF A HARLOT: "...the Lord said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the Lord" (Hosea 1:2).

HE CAUSES ADULTERY: "This is what the Lord says: 'Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel" (2 Sam. 12:11-12).

HE CHANGES HIS MIND: "The Lord said: I have forgiven them at your request...." (Num. 14:20). "God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not" (Jonah 3:10). "God said to Balaam, 'Do not go with them. You must not put a curse on those people, because they are blessed.'.... That night God came to Balaam and said, 'Since these men have come to summon you, go with them, but do only what I tell you.' Balaam got up in the morning, saddled his donkey and went with the princes of Moab. But God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the Lord stood in the road to oppose him...." (Num. 22:20-22). God told Balaam not to go, then changed his mind and told him to go and punished him when he did. Talk about indecision!

Finally, in 2 Kings 20:1 Isaiah came to the sick Hezekiah and told him he would die and not recover according to God's word. But according to the 4th and 5th verses God told Isaiah to go back and tell Hezekiah that because God had heard his prayer and seen his tears he would be healed and live 15 more years. Again, God changed his mind.

HE ORDERS STEALING: "...and ye shall spoil the Egyptians" (Ex. 3:22). "...and they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them, saith the Lord God" (Ezek. 39:10). "As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies" (Deut. 20:14).

IT'S ALL THERE IN THE BIBLE AND THE BIBLE IS THE WORD OF GOD.

Professor Richard Dawkins sums it up very well in his book "The God Delusion"

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

"May your "God" go with you" (Dave Allen)
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
MakeNine

Re: HOW COULD ANYBODY BELIEVE IN THIS GOD?

Post by MakeNine » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Yeah. The problem is that when you show these kind of parts to a christian, they just shrug it off saying "that was before Jesus and he brought a message of peace". It's a bit dishonest, since most of them always tell others that they can't cherrypick your favorite parts :?
Regens Küchl

Re: HOW COULD ANYBODY BELIEVE IN THIS GOD?

Post by Regens Küchl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Lets just see what Angelo, Christian missionary in all them forums, has to say about biblical genocide :arrow:
i thought i gave you already my personal opinion ? there is a difference between you and me. I have a personal experience with the God of the bible. So even i do not understand fully all reasons for everything described in the Bible, God ordered or did directly, i TRUST him. God knows everything better than i do, and if he ordered the killing of these people, there was a just reason for it.
http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinkta ... c=4690.150