Mr. Deity and the Promised Land

General discussions
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Mr. Deity and the Promised Land

Post by eccles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 pm

em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
Regens Küchl

Re: Mr. Deity and the Promised Land

Post by Regens Küchl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Excellent Video :!:

The Parody of Christian/Yewish Apologetism concerning Biblical Genocide is very Interesting.
The Jahwists really exegete it that way.

For Instance; "hibernicus himselftalker" from ICF says :
The standard response to the incest point (and, more dubiously, to the genocide issue) is that God may allow or command certain things which might otherise be sinful; a more sophisticated take on this is that revelation should be seen as progressively developed by God over time (before finalisation in the New Testament) so that the earlier stages are necessary to build on the later ones, but are then superseded by it. (Jesus says Moses allowed certain things "because of the hardness of your hearts" which are now superseded by His sayings.)
There is a problem with this given the use made of the releavant Old testament passages by certain Christians (Cromwell in Ireland, the more ruthless conquistadors in the New World) but I believe the answer lies along these lines.
There certainly was a tendency to neglect the OT in favour of the NT among pre-concilair Catholics. This was quite wrong because the NT does not supersede the OT but fulfils/transcends it; one of the major themes of the liturgy is that the Church is the new Israel and its story is mirrored in that of the first Israel.
http://irishcatholics.proboards.com/ind ... thread=478
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

That is the problem with the Bible: Interpretation and picking and choosing what passages suit one's purpose. Take 6 preachers (to the looney bin, if I had my way) and give them all one passage of the bible for the text of a sermon and see what they serve up.

It is interesting that, at the Jesuit College I endured for 12 years, all we did of the OT was Genesis and Exodus, then skipped to the NT. I recently read from Genesis to Kings II. That was all I could take - all the genocide and slaughter ordered or carried out by YWHW. Now I know why the CCL pushes that embarassing stuff aside. It is also how the CCL justified the Holy Inquisition. God dunnit it in the OT. We should do it as God ordered.
em hotep

Regens Küchl

Post by Regens Küchl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:31 pm

eccles wrote:That is the problem with the Bible: Interpretation and picking and choosing what passages suit one's purpose.
Thats one way of handling parts of the bible that show the monstrous deeds of the beloved Jews :wink:

But much more interesting is how Christians and Jews love and favour for example the biblical genocides :lol:

At the atheist think tank forum
http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinkta ... ic=4690.90
Angelo gave a link to a Paper that is a whole book of biblical Genocide Apology - Interesting read :shock: Read how Christians really think :arrow:
http://www.spiritandtruth.org/teaching/ ... /27/27.pdf
happynewyear

Post by happynewyear » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Yahweh is known as "The Compassionate One"
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:07 pm

happynewyear wrote:Yahweh is known as "The Compassionate One"
By whom?
em hotep

Regens Küchl

Post by Regens Küchl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:59 pm

http://scripturetext.com/psalms/145-8.htm
Psalm 145:8
(King James Bible)

The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:02 am

Regens Küchl wrote:http://scripturetext.com/psalms/145-8.htm
Psalm 145:8
(King James Bible)

The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.
It shows how the bible lies and contradicts. How do we know those words are as originally written. I just bought Bart.D. Ehrman: "Misquoting Jesus" It is the best book I have bought so far.

Bart D. Ehrman is an American New Testament scholar and textual critic of early Christianity. He is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor and Chair of the Department of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Ehrman writes about the early Christians, using the term "proto-orthodox" to describe the Christian traditions that would later be defined as orthodox.[1] He describes first- and second-century Christians as not yet having a unified, orthodox tradition.[1]

As a textual critic, Ehrman examines various versions of a text in order to determine what the text originally said.[1] For instance, various ancient manuscripts have different endings for the gospel of Mark (see Mark 16).[1] Ehrman concludes (as many scholars have in the past) that the text originally ended at verse 16:9 and that none of the endings were original.[1] One method Ehrman uses for helping him analyze text is to look for changes that favor the agenda of the scribes who copied the texts.

There are at lest 30,000 errors in the bible, mis-copies, mistranslations etc. How can it be taken seriously.
em hotep

Regens Küchl

Post by Regens Küchl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:55 am

eccles wrote: There are at lest 30,000 errors in the bible, mis-copies, mistranslations etc. How can it be taken seriously.
If your original Hebrew disagrees with my original King James — your original Hebrew is wrong. If your original Hebrew agrees with my original King James, your original Hebrew is right.
The word of God has been in heaven forever. The KJV has always been there. The so called Hebrew words like Alleluia are English words. The English did not borrow them from the Hebrew but rather the Hebrew borrowed them from the English. If the KJV has always been there and is the original word of God then there is no other conclusion. The same can be said for any so called Greek words that were borrowed from the Greek or transliterated. It is a matter of what bias you approach this particular subject.
http://ibastudent.wordpress.com/2008/01 ... hat-rooms/
“Make sure your answer uses Scripture, not logic.”
There is not a single passage or concept in the Bible that would be offensive to any human on the planet.
[Am I in discussion with a human who has a functioning brain?]What does a functioning brain have to do with the Bible?
http://www.fstdt.com/Top100.aspx?archive=1
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:46 am

"The word of God has been in heaven forever. The KJV has always been there. The so called Hebrew words like Alleluia are English words. The English did not borrow them from the Hebrew but rather the Hebrew borrowed them from the English."

What a lot of BULLSHIT!

KJV - for ever? released 1611 CE (AD). How old is the English langauge and how old is Hebrew. Is today April 1st?
em hotep