An idea for the Blasphemy Law

General discussions
dizzi90

An idea for the Blasphemy Law

Post by dizzi90 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm

The blasphemy law states that you can utter nothing that is blasphemous or abusive to another's religion. This gives the atheist an advantage. I mean who blasphemes most of all? The religious of course! Every priest blasphemes against islam. Every imam blasphemes against christianity. The best strategy to rid Ireland of the ridiculous law is to give the legal system too much to do by reporting the "crimes" of all the preachers in the country. If everyone really does their best to turn in as many as possible it will get attention. Personally I think it would be the most effective way to get rid of the blasphemy law, as it would turn the ones the law was designed to 'protect' into the victims of the law. Thoughts?
Regens Küchl

Re: An idea for the Blasphemy Law

Post by Regens Küchl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:27 pm

1) What is the exact text of the blasphemy law :?: we need a link here :wink:

2) A court would decide that just speaking out for your own religion is no blasphemy in accordance to this law :oops:

3) But I like your Idea, though it needs some working on :mrgreen:
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Harassing the gardai with trumped up allegations isn't really a good way to go, its a complete waste of both garda time & resources which can be better spent elsewhere. And as Regens Küchl points out, the law has been worded carefully enough to ensure that it cannot be used in those cases anyway.

The law is as you correctly point out a silly one that makes everyone a blasphemer in the eyes of some religion somewhere; but I think that ridiculing a bad law does not necessarily involve abusing the system and making nuisance allegations.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
dizzi90

Post by dizzi90 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 am

I disagree that one shouldn't abuse the law if the possibility is open to us. After all the law itself is abusing the legal system to meet a goal of denying freedom.

Sadly, upon reading the law it says that “Blasphemous matter” is defined as matter “that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion; and he or she intends, by the publication of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage."
That means my idea is essentially useless.

However I did in doing some research find out that according to article 40.1. of the Irish constitution; equality under the law is guaranteed. It could be argued that the law gives inequality by definition because it gives religious people protection of their values whilst atheists get none. It is a bit of a shaky ground, but it's conceivable that the high court could agree and annul the law. I have no expertise in the Irish legal system, but this could perhaps be looked into.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:37 am

Dizzi, the problem is in getting into a court in the first place.
Civil action in Ireland is only for the rich, and the very rich at that, and a criminal case would only be taken if there was serious outrage among the followers of some religion.
The government clearly doesn't want to ever use this law so unless some religious nutters start burning cars and erecting barricades over some insult to their gods, then it will never be tested in a court.
A commitment from the opposition parties to dump this law might be something to hold over them in the future. Or we can try embarrasing the government internationally. The international rights bodies that Ireland is a member of are also out of reach of the citizens but again, maybe there is some Swedish or Dutch politician willing to make a case for us.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:49 am

If there is anything that gets the holy mary's knickers in a twist it's sure to start with phone call to a certain Mr. Duffy in the afternoon. This could even self-spun with a ringer to... um..... ring.

I had a thought in the arm chair, anyone remember the RTE Storyland and watching the Hardy Bucks, where amateur film makers made their own drama for YouTube where the winners got their own slot on RTE, probably 2am on RTE 2.

Well, remember those Sky1 fly-on-the wall documentaries; Ibiza Undercover where exhibitionist singletons head off for the 3 S's Well Mix that with The Office (and Borat) and send 3 priests and 3 nuns heading off to Lourdes "looking for the ride."
I think getting a priest shifting the face off a nun surrounded by real clergy would be epic.
Nuns on the run is on Film4 now, if we got our nuns to be blokes in drag it would be a bonus.
Anyone with a camera, and a few mates who are complete headers, this could be done!
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams