When and why did you go public about your disbelief in god?

General discussions

When and why did you go public about your disbelief in god?

1. I have always been publicly open about my lack of belief in god right from the time I stopped believing:
72%
2. I stopped believing long ago, but only went public in recent years because of the more favourable environment created by the rise of ‘popular atheism' in Ireland:
4%
3. I stopped believing long ago, but recently went public for other reasons [please leave a comment to explain]:
16%
4. I was rapidly converted from theism to non-belief by the writings/films/websites of people like Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Dennett etc:
No votes
5. I was rapidly converted from theism to non-belief by other means [please leave a comment to explain]:
8%

Total votes: 25
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: When and why did you go public about your disbelief in god?

Post by dugges » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Logorrhea wrote:I'm not sure iof the likes of Hitchins and Dawkins actually converted that many people, they just made a lot of people realise that religion was more dangerous then a lot of us believed and so more people should speak up about it.
They didn't convert me, but go me thinking about beliefs, and Hitchens focuses more on the political implications.
That the best part about "Atheist Conversion" - encourage freethought, Religion cannot stand up to scrutiny
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Rational_thinker

Post by Rational_thinker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Realised eventually that I was in fact an atheist and no longer a catlick. Embarassingly it took till my early 30's to work it out. Still - got there eventually.

But then I read Dawkins' God Delusion and it persuaded me it was important to 'come out'. So I did. And it caused a lot of pain and difficulty as well - which showed me why it was important.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence Carl Sagan
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs Unknown
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:05 pm

I was always public about it, but being an atheist was a very lonely place for me until about 1998 (when I first connected to the internet). I didn't know a single other Atheist. I was surrounded by people who were either religious or too stupid or imature to care either way... but above all, any time I open my mouth about it there was someone there telling me I had to shut up.

That last point is how religion has managed to survive for so long and that at least seems to be changing.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:18 pm

I’m a wee bit none of the above – my folks were very religious – I’ve the obligatory priest uncle – I never really believed – I found mass/rosary (yes I had to say that every night) boring as hell – I mostly daydreamed through it all., In my early twenties I had a child out of so called wedlock. I was young and I felt pressurised into getting him baptised etc - but then I met and married a wonderful man with no catholic hang ups – who allowed me to be myself - warts and all. My next 3 kids were brought up naturally realistic and not religious. So I’d be a 1 but not open about it.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
NorthOfTheBorder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by NorthOfTheBorder » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:14 pm

I went for 5. As a child, I was never particularly religious but I wasn't particularly questioning of it either. Then, at the age of about 13/14, I had a personal experience which gave me cause to start thinking. Once I did, I rapidly came to the conclusion that theistic belief was just a form of wishful thinking, and stopped believing within a matter of weeks (that was in the late eighties).

As far as going public is concerned, I didn't do that until a few years later. My father was the sort of dad who would have been at your bedroom door on a Sunday morning telling you to get out of bed to go to mass, and was, I always felt, keen to avoid the embarrassment of a family member's piety being called into question. I had not just one but two priestly uncles on his side of the family (one of whom was also a contributing factor in turning me off religion, as he was one of those priests who obviously expected deference because of his position). When I went to university it was on the opposite side of the country, so I wasn't home very often and was free to spend my Sundays as I pleased. Just before I started my second year my father died, and after that, any time I was home I wasn't under pressure re going to mass and so on, so I didn't. Eventually my mother asked me why I didn't go and what my opinions were on matters religious and I told her. She was a bit taken aback but accepted it and didn't try to change my mind.
“I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong”

Richard Feynman on doubt,uncertainty and religion
artyfarty

Post by artyfarty » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Rational_thinker wrote:Realised eventually that I was in fact an atheist and no longer a catlick. Embarassingly it took till my early 30's to work it out. Still - got there eventually.

But then I read Dawkins' God Delusion and it persuaded me it was important to 'come out'. So I did. And it caused a lot of pain and difficulty as well - which showed me why it was important.
Don't feel too bad I was in my 30's and although I was losing faith more and more as I got closer to 30, my wife made me sit down and think it through, Dawkins made me feel normal enough to come out... now you can't shut me up :lol:
A little boy prayed for a bike. Then he realised God doesn't work that way so he stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Carl Sagan - The Pale Blue Dot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:38 pm

I wasn't sure whether to pick 1 or 3.

My reasoning for not going public was simple, I was a child and was apathetic towards religon.
Rev j.jones

Post by Rev j.jones » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:33 am

Feardorcha wrote:The Establishment also won, of course, but I, and the friends of my youth, have used every opportunity to upset them. If we can't have Liberty on the barricades, we can at least jiggle their elbow as they sip their Chateauneufdupape.
Down with that sorta thing

mudda fckr
"The Meek a'int gonna inherit shit"
"I've got a hell of a lot of weapons to fight! I got my claws, I got cutlasses, I got guns, I got dynamite, I got a hell of a lot of fight! I will fight!" Rev Jones cured religion for 950 americans.
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:25 am

Option one, although certain people don't know like my granny but I decided for her happiness to be a hypocrite.
I can't ever remember believing in a god but I do remember asking the overly-simple but still unanswered question; Where did god come from? "Oh, he always existed"...It just didn't sit.

I think a failure of the church is the teaching of the bible, teachers would talk as if Noah's Ark, Garden of Eden etc. was true even if they didn't believe it themselves. There was also too many "whys", if god's all powerful why did he do that, why did he not do it this way? "God works in mysterious ways"...again, you're just making excuses.

Even as a small child I had amassed a mountain of science books for children like "1000 Qestions and Answers", "How The World Works" and "The Big Book of Knowledge" which helped me understand the Bible's falsehoods. Having a keen interest in science, at the age of about six I preformed a ground-breaking experiment, I asked god to turn my pencil-case into a car. The results were negative. "Don't test god" was the reply...he created the universe, surely this simple request would be a dodle.
One last thing; praying? I always wondered what people were doing in their heads when the teacher asked us to "bow our heads and say a wee prayer". Are they talking to god, can they hear anything? I came to the conclusion that they were doing what I was doing - pretending.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:00 pm

mudda fckr
Who are you referring to Rev Jones?