When and why did you go public about your disbelief in god?

General discussions

When and why did you go public about your disbelief in god?

1. I have always been publicly open about my lack of belief in god right from the time I stopped believing:
72%
2. I stopped believing long ago, but only went public in recent years because of the more favourable environment created by the rise of ‘popular atheism' in Ireland:
4%
3. I stopped believing long ago, but recently went public for other reasons [please leave a comment to explain]:
16%
4. I was rapidly converted from theism to non-belief by the writings/films/websites of people like Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Dennett etc:
No votes
5. I was rapidly converted from theism to non-belief by other means [please leave a comment to explain]:
8%

Total votes: 25
Rational_thinker

Re: When and why did you go public about your disbelief in god?

Post by Rational_thinker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 pm

artyfarty wrote: Don't feel too bad I was in my 30's and although I was losing faith more and more as I got closer to 30, my wife made me sit down and think it through, Dawkins made me feel normal enough to come out... now you can't shut me up :lol:

Tell me about it. My missus has a fair point when she points out that she married some bloke who was a pain in the arse about religion. Who has now become a pain in the arse about religion. And could I just please make my mind up?

Dawkins was a big catalyst for me too...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence Carl Sagan
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs Unknown