Does it get better than this?

General discussions
Rational_thinker

Does it get better than this?

Post by Rational_thinker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:26 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ma ... ex-scandal

Trying to work out why I feel slightly guilty about being so pleased with this story (I've been laughing since I read it...). After all - no one involved has been hurt in the slightest... in fact: hopefully some of them derived some pleasure in their miserable lives.

I suppose the millions of faithful will be though?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence Carl Sagan
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs Unknown
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Does it get better than this?

Post by Dev » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm trying to separate whether the primary focus is that a Vatican official was gay or that he solicited prostitutes.

I don't see male prostitution as degrading to men but if I said that about women it would be interpreted as sexist by some. I don't know what the solution to prostitution is since many red light districts are just as bad as places like Ireland where it isn't legal and regulated.

If either legalization or criminalizing can be shown to minimise the damage done to the women (and men it seems) I will support that but all the evidence seems to be biased and it is difficult to read something I feel is objective. Even in another thread on TV3 there was a segment about the sex trade in Ireland and I didn't feel there was as much substance as there could have been in the time.

People have really strong feelings on this issue and I don't see why it is any more important than any other area of serious criminal activity.
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Dev wrote:People have really strong feelings on this issue and I don't see why it is any more important than any other area of serious criminal activity.
Because it involves sex. Sex is always an emotive issue. So many people raise the act high on a pedestal as something that is holy and sacred, whilst others plainly see it as a fun act between consenting couples.

These attitudes may come from lessons and morals obtained through the process of how an individual was reared, the social situations they have experienced, personal opinions that have evolved through life experience and of course any religious instruction received during ones life.

Whenever a story arises regarding prostitution many get a mental image of a homeless, abused, drug taking woman who is at their lowest ebb and has nowhere else to turn. Although this is undoubtedly true of some individuals, this is not always the case. Some women & men actually do it for the money as sex practitioners in Amsterdam and some of the "Hollywood madam" cases have highlighted.

For some people they can forgive the misdeeds of the neighbourhood burglar but not the ex-prostitute. Why? Because they sold the most "sacred" thing you can sell.....SEX.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Dev wrote: I don't see male prostitution as degrading to men but if I said that about women it would be interpreted as sexist by some...
I don't know about that. Prostitution is degrading if it is involuntary or forced. If it is an entirely voluntary career choice where the person is in completely in control of who they choose as clients as in the case of Belle du Jour then there is nothing degrading about it. This is equally true for males as it is for females.

In my own opinion, this shouldn't be a scandal at all assuming all parties involved were adult and consenting. The scandal exists purely because of the Church's primitive attitude to sex and homosexuality.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:17 pm

I completely agree with you Ygern, I should have mentioned that if it is forced it isn't a matter of prostitution (in my opinion) it is organized rape and should be charged as such.

Same for Hemingway, your right about the sex being made out to be something it isn't.
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Oh Christ, what can one say

STOP IT, or you will go blind!
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"