Is it just me or should there be a Irish Atheist Ad bus run?

General discussions
Liamdunne

Is it just me or should there be a Irish Atheist Ad bus run?

Post by Liamdunne » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:54 am

I dunno, i was thinking about it when i heard about the British one, and i said to my self, "Ireland, should do something like that"

i now that Ireland is a Catholic country which in my opinion is a semi-fundamentalism.
Because people do have a freedom of religion, but the government does cover up stuff done by the Catholic church.
Eg. the Ryan report.

But, another thing that got me think about it was, i saw on Dublin bus was a Advertising poster missing and someone spray painted on "Insert Atheist Ad here".

but, is it possible?
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Is it just me or should there be a Irish Atheist Ad bus run?

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:37 pm

'Insert Atheist Add Here' would be prety good as a slogan. The problem is money and lots of money, that can have better uses.

Fine the add would be in your face but that is it, whats the benefit, but someone taking a school to court over the discriminating religious system would produce more media attention and produce a result.

Standing up against the Blasphemy Law, the gov loves when people forget and accept their incompetence.

Something I kind of got from boards but not complete
'Are you a recovering catholic, your not alone'
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Yeah, the problem is money. The ads might get some media coverage and interest but they won't have a lasting effect. Personally I always thought displaying a bible verse would be good. You always get a flowery scriptual quote then a "god loves you" type of message. I always wanted a fantastically violent quotation where god commands genocide and becomes "drunk with blood" etc. then we could put down something like; "it's only a metaphor..."

PS. If we find a really violent quotation then weren't allowed display it because it breached advertising standards we would get free publicity. I can see the headline: "Christians complain of violent computer games, atheists point out irony..."
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
Liamdunne

Post by Liamdunne » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 pm

your right money would be a problem.

and HylandPaddy i read your post and suddenly remembered a quote from an atheist comic.
his name was George Carlin,

his quote
Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it, religion has actually convinced people that there's an INVISIBLE MAN...LIVING IN THE SKY...who watches every thing you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time...but he loves you.
Rational_thinker

Post by Rational_thinker » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:10 pm

I'd donate for an ad-campaign.

Cheers

Jim
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence Carl Sagan
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs Unknown
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Guys,

If you want to get involved in this you can organise yourself into a sub-committee and set up a fundraising campaign to get the ball rolling on this.
As I'm looking after the group finances at the moment I'd be willing to pitch in wherever needed.
We'd need to set a target and decide exactly what kind of ad's we are looking for, i.e. Dart cards, or Bus sides and figure out ways in reaching the target.
A table quiz would be a good way to start, and have the Humanist Assoc involved for extra support

Any ideas can be forwarded to

finance>hyphen<officer>AT<atheist>dot<ie

I don't want spam bots getting the above e-mail for obvious reasons
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:04 pm

I have a basic price list by the company who does the bus/dart/shelters

it can be found here

http://www.bravooutdoor.ie/
Attachments
Bus Capture.PNG
Bus Capture.PNG (75.81 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:54 pm

I thought an some Irish advertising commission rejected this last year on the grounds 'that it wasn't advertising anything', so it may not be possible.

Now I could be wrong, but I thought I read it somewhere, either here or somewhere else.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:02 pm

There wasn't any campaign from Atheist Ireland anyway.

We would need to raise the money first before we went looking for a bus to put something on.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:09 pm

munsterdevil wrote:I thought an some Irish advertising commission rejected this last year on the grounds 'that it wasn't advertising anything', so it may not be possible.
That sounds like a very strange reason to reject an advertisement. Especially considering how subjective the nature of the field is.