Is it just me or should there be a Irish Atheist Ad bus run?

General discussions
munsterdevil

Re: Is it just me or should there be a Irish Atheist Ad bus run?

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Dev wrote:
munsterdevil wrote:I thought an some Irish advertising commission rejected this last year on the grounds 'that it wasn't advertising anything', so it may not be possible.
That sounds like a very strange reason to reject an advertisement. Especially considering how subjective the nature of the field is.
I agree, it does sound strange, but it just rings a bell with me that it was, as I said I could be wrong, but I'll try and find information.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Given the developments we do have an incentive to have adverts out in Autumn
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3348

It would be a good idea to get the Humanist Association on board too to help fund this
Also there should be special fundraising campaign to kick start this.

This goal is very realistic as members will see once I publish the financial report for the 1st quarter, it's well within our grasp.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Rational_thinker

Post by Rational_thinker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Ygern wrote:There wasn't any campaign from Atheist Ireland anyway.

We would need to raise the money first before we went looking for a bus to put something on.

With respect, I disagree: shouldn't we just check that definitively there is an organisation that will host the ads before we collect the cash? We run the risk otherwise of having budget but not way of spending it, which would be awkward.

Thanks,

Jim
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence Carl Sagan
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs Unknown
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:05 pm

We run the risk otherwise of having budget but not way of spending it, which would be awkward.
There will always be a campaign that can use funding, even if buses were to turn us down, there are plenty of other outlets.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Rational_thinker

Post by Rational_thinker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:53 pm

Ygern wrote:
There will always be a campaign that can use funding, even if buses were to turn us down, there are plenty of other outlets.
Sure - but fundraising for a specific event or target is generally much more successful than a general funding appeal. And if there is any chance that the funds won't be used for the specific event then they would need to be returned. All I'm thinking is: the terms of a fund raising campaign need to be crystal clear.

Cheers,

Jim
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence Carl Sagan
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs Unknown
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Rational_thinker wrote:Sure - but fundraising for a specific event or target is generally much more successful than a general funding appeal. And if there is any chance that the funds won't be used for the specific event then they would need to be returned. All I'm thinking is: the terms of a fund raising campaign need to be crystal clear.
Absolutley, thats why the like of Blue Peter would have a "total-o-meter" showing how close they are to reaching their target.
Set a deadline and a minimum target (one that is reachable) and bob's your uncle.
If you have surplus funds then that can go towards creating a bigger impact.
I agree that you would need Terms and Conditions and a host of legal safeguards because if the targets are not met then it would be a pain tracking down all donors to return their funds, even/especially if it's €2.

Mind you, the Blue Peter total-o-meter proved to be an incentive to get more people to donate.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Advertising creates awareness, and a theme of an Irish Atheist bus campaign should do that.
An Atheist Ireland requirement should be to create a public understanding of what secularism is and why it is needed.

To remove Blasphemy from the constitution promotes a secular agenda, not an atheist one.

Secularism doesn't remove religious rights, it protects religions from eachother - which I think is a better theme to pursue than
"There definitely isn't a God so don't be so ridiculous and get a life"

The original London Bus campaign was on the back of "If you don't believe in Jesus you will burn" ad's that were all over London

We should keep our own campaign relevant to ourselves and to do with AI campaigns
Removal of the Blasphemy Law
Promoting Secular Schools
etc....

Most of us are here due to the fact we're sick of the church getting special status
and AI activities in the media encouraged us to join

**my hand is up*** guilty

If a bus campaign is wanted, lets get to work and make it happen
Douglas Adams
jobee

Post by jobee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:07 am

Liamdunne wrote:your right money would be a problem.

and HylandPaddy i read your post and suddenly remembered a quote from an atheist comic.
his name was George Carlin,

his quote
Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it, religion has actually convinced people that there's an INVISIBLE MAN...LIVING IN THE SKY...who watches every thing you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time...but he loves you.
The invisible man must love masochists-they would really enjoy the hell scene.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Maybe some form of advertising of a specific topic to bring it to attention of the public, but what? and what type of media?

1. The Blasphemy law seems most important if there will be a referendum.
>There will need to be billboards, posters, maybe newspapers.

2. The education system would be another hot topic, maybe independantly in conjunction with Educate Together having seperate ads, but same purpose. Basically something like 60% of population would like religion removed from the classroom, yet every large town has 3+ religeous schools and no non-denominational shcools.

3. I am sure there are other topics, (Good Friday ban)?

In general what about web addvertising specifically within Ireland. Irishtimes, google.ie etc.

I just don't see the point of an expensive bus campiagn just to promote AI.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:19 pm

A lot of ideas were thrown around in this thread...

viewtopic.php?t=1661
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.