Jobee's thread on religion & politics

General discussions
jobee

Jobee's thread on religion & politics

Post by jobee » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:14 am

* After spamming this forum & several others with the same stuff in spite of repeated warnings, all Jobee's rants are being moved to the same thread. If you want to engage with him, this is the place to do it * -Mod

Elizabeth Cady-Stanton on suppression

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstitions of the Christian religion."

"The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation."

"The bible teaches that woman brought sin and death into the world, that she precipitated the fall of the race, that she was arraigned before the judgment seat of Heaven, tried, condemned and sentenced. Marriage for her was to be a condition of bondage, maternity a period of suffering and anguish, and in silence and subjection, she was to play the role of a dependent on man's bounty for all her material wants, and for all the information she might desire...Here is the Bible position of woman briefly summed up."

She wrote of the Bible, "I found nothing grand in the history of the Jews nor in the morals inculcated in the Pentateuch. Surely the writers had a very low idea of the nature of their god. They made him not only anthropomorphic, but of the very lowest type, jealous and revengeful, loving violence rather than mercy. I know of no other books that so fully teach the subjection and degradation of women." [Women Without Superstition]

- Elizabeth Cady Stanton, American suffragist (1815-1902).

YOUR QUOTE: prelates of the world--take those silly frocks off
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Another problem with fascist organised religion

Post by eccles » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:46 am

POOFTERS
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm not offended by the word "poofter", just at being associated with those nutters. Also I think word "fascist" in the title is being misused.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:45 pm

HylandPaddy wrote:I'm not offended by the word "poofter", just at being associated with those nutters. Also I think word "fascist" in the title is being misused.
I apologize to Gay people for associating them with those nutters, as you aptly call them.
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
jobee

German Catholic church abuse

Post by jobee » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:53 am

Will German Catholic church abuse case reach Pope Benedict?

By David Francis – Thu Mar 11, 1:40 pm ET

Berlin – German Catholic church authorities here launched two intertwined investigations Wednesday into allegations of abuse by members of the clergy. One is looking into allegations about the brother of Pope Benedict XVI and the second into how much members of the German clergy – including the German-born pope - knew about the allegations, which date back to the 1950s. The pope’s older brother, Rev. Georg Ratzinger, was in charge of the select Regensburger Domspatzen boys’ choir from 1964 to 1994. Members of that choir have alleged in recent weeks that choir leaders physically and sexually assaulted them on numerous occasions. The Catholic diocese of Regensburg in southern Germany has appointed independent lawyer Andreas Scheulen to head the investigation. Rev. Ratzinger told Passauer Neue Presse, a German daily, that the sexual abuse allegations occurred before he was in charge of the choir, but said that he was not aware of the problem. He also told the German newspaper that he had slapped members of the choir in the 1960s, a common practice in Catholic schools at the time.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100311/wl_csm/286703_1

YOUR QUOTE: prelates of the world--take those silly frocks off
mkaobrih

Re: German Catholic church abuse

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Irish - Australian - American - German - Polish - Dutch – The CCL still don’t get it - that it’s not everyone else - it’s the system it promotes.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:31 pm

New York Times wrote:ROME — As new details emerged on allegations of child sexual abuse by priests in the Munich archdiocese then led by Pope Benedict XVI, the Vatican spoke out on Saturday to protect the pope against what it called an aggressive campaign against him in his native Germany.
Seems the Germans are doing more in a few weeks than what the Irish have collectively done since our revelations of the abuses. By actually going for the gullet and holding those responsible accountable.

What do we do? We blame those who actually abused but choose not to go after those who covered it up. I still don't understand how priests don't have to do time. If I systematically covered up sexual abuses that a friend of mine was doing I would be an accomplice. In Ireland though the notion of sending a priest to gaol is mirrored as sending the Irish people to hell.
jobee

Post by jobee » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:33 am

Dev wrote:
New York Times wrote:ROME — As new details emerged on allegations of child sexual abuse by priests in the Munich archdiocese then led by Pope Benedict XVI, the Vatican spoke out on Saturday to protect the pope against what it called an aggressive campaign against him in his native Germany.
Seems the Germans are doing more in a few weeks than what the Irish have collectively done since our revelations of the abuses. By actually going for the gullet and holding those responsible accountable.

What do we do? We blame those who actually abused but choose not to go after those who covered it up. I still don't understand how priests don't have to do time. If I systematically covered up sexual abuses that a friend of mine was doing I would be an accomplice. In Ireland though the notion of sending a priest to gaol is mirrored as sending the Irish people to hell.
How about efforts to link up atheist forums right across the UK- Ireland.

Target-to get the Vatican closed down-the Catholic system is morally bankrupt.
jobee

Post by jobee » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:40 am

Dev wrote:

Yes- we have to get on the front foot-publicity et cetera.

Giving money to a regime that is morally bankrupt has got to stop.
jobee

Swiss Catholics, no charges

Post by jobee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 pm

The Catholic Church in Switzerland is investigating sixty claims of sexual abuse by priests, the Swiss news agency SDA reported.

Abbot Martin Werlen of the Benedictine Abbey of Einsiedeln told the newspaper Mittelland-Zeitung that the church is looking into the claims. The church itself will not press charges, Werlen emphasized, and intends to advise victims to do so themselves.

"We find it important that the victim himself determines what steps to take," the cleric told the Mittelland-Zeitung, cited by the Swiss news agency.

The Vatican is under increasing pressure to instigate new preventative measures

The abbot of Einsiedeln, who is part of a Bishops' Conference investigating the charges, confirmed that confessions by offending priests would be kept in confidence.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5352542,00.html