Nuremburg defence

General discussions
Rational_thinker

Nuremburg defence

Post by Rational_thinker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Cardinal Brady appears to have adopted the Nuremburg defence if the quotes are to be believed today: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8567144.stm

I happen to agree with him: resigning doesn't really seem necessary. I'm not sure that morally there is much difference between protecting paedophiles, silencing their victims and any of the other abhorent things the RCC does each and every day around the world... And they aren't apologising for those. The crime here appears to have been getting caught.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence Carl Sagan
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs Unknown
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Nuremburg defence

Post by CatHerder » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Rational_thinker wrote:Cardinal Brady appears to have adopted the Nuremburg defence
That had crossed my mind too
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 pm

I’d love to see some kind of implosion of the Catholic Church hierarchy similar to the collapse of the communist block in Eastern Europe. Short and sharp – relatively speaking. I mean the CCL is what 2000 years old – its time that this cult died out.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
NorthOfTheBorder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by NorthOfTheBorder » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:11 pm

I heard Brady being interviewed on Radio Ulster whilst driving to work this morning - it's a wonder I didn't cause an accident I was that angry listening to him :evil: The man's arrogance and sheer indifference to the consequences of what he did (or rather didn't do) were revolting. Nuremberg defence is exactly the phrase that came to my mind too. He was just a lowly secretary, he was out of the country for long periods afterwards and couldn't follow up... excuse after excuse was served up, and the even more depressing thing? By lunchtime BBC NI news had managed to interview people on the streets of Derry who actually accepted Brady's defence.

Fairly safe bet for him to say he won't resign unless Ratzinger orders it - there's no chance of him putting the gun to Brady's head...
“I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong”

Richard Feynman on doubt,uncertainty and religion
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:22 pm

Rational_thinker wrote:I happen to agree with him: resigning doesn't really seem necessary.
Nor to me. I'm not in the Catholic Club so I don't really care what their rules are. They can make him pope for all I care, as long as he spends the rest of his life in jail.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:59 pm

The RTE whitewash is on. The lunchtime news down-graded the story and then ran the Catholic Church statement with a clip from Father Purcell on Frontline. Breath-taking!
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:46 pm

Rational_thinker wrote:Cardinal Brady appears to have adopted the Nuremburg defence.

The crime here appears to have been getting caught.
During the Nurembourg trials, the Nazis were held accountable individually even if they were following orders. It was deemed that unlawful orders were not orders and orders from such an institution did not absolve the individual of their higher responsibility to people. Ironically the lesson of this were available to Brady and are well known.

I disagree, the crime here is Brady was more worried about preserving his peers and himself than even a modest amount of safety for children. Resigning would be an act of redemption and an acknowledgement that he was wrong.

We expect politicians or any profession to resign when they are caught even if their actions are common in their industry. Why should priests be any different?
funkyderek wrote:as long as he spends the rest of his life in jail.
You're aware he won't be going to gaol?
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Dev wrote:You're aware he won't be going to gaol?
Of course. Nonetheless, justice demands that he be tried for his (alleged) crimes and, if found guilty, be incarcerated for a significant amount of time, which given his age and the severity of the crimes should amount to more than his remaining mortal allotment.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Yeah, I completely agree Derek.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Why won’t he be arrested? Has he not concealed a crime?
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.