Good and Evil

General discussions
mkaobrih

Re: Good and Evil

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:22 pm

lughlamhfada wrote:
EireannachforGod wrote:If there is no God how does one determine what is good and what is evil?
A coterie has always determined this,and put their own declaration in to the mouth of gods.
As Seneca observed 2000 years ago, “Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” This ventriloquist act has had its day.
This is quite true – you have already decided what’s good and what’s “evil” yourself - but you attribute your decision to your god. You’d be the same person without him.

Ps - I don't belive in evil.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Regens Küchl

Post by Regens Küchl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:08 pm

But if one is born into a bunch of very religious people and gets indoctrinated from birth on, he gets not much of a chance to decide what’s good and what’s “evil” himself :evil:
Thus a Jew or Christian will be raised to be a bootlicker of the Abrahamite god :oops: And since this very god (for instance) commands his chosen people to molest the children of the enemy after slaughtering their parents he will find that also to be very good :!:

And since the (anti) morality of that god and his holy books is the only morality an indoctrinated kid ever learns, he gets to think that he never would have learned any morality if not for his indoctrination :x
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 am

I think we scared EireannachforGod away. It doesnt appear Eireannach is willing to debate for God anymore on this topic. Shame. I was enjoying the reaching, speculating and general "theist by numbers" excuses we were getting. Ho hum.....

Bring on the next one.

*cocks metaphorical rifle*
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Hemingway wrote:I think we scared EireannachforGod away. It doesnt appear Eireannach is willing to debate for God anymore on this topic. Shame.
Yes noticed that me self ,May be he is busy looking up some of the stuff we asked him about ! :D
والقس هو مجنون
Rev j.jones

Post by Rev j.jones » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:05 am

"Ministries of resounding Huff's"
"The Meek a'int gonna inherit shit"
"I've got a hell of a lot of weapons to fight! I got my claws, I got cutlasses, I got guns, I got dynamite, I got a hell of a lot of fight! I will fight!" Rev Jones cured religion for 950 americans.