Good and Evil

General discussions
EireannachforGod
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 am
Location: Taiwan/Philippines

Re: Good and Evil

Post by EireannachforGod » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:45 am

The whole problem of good and evil in the christian sense is that, a common christian philosophy is: god makes you do good things and Satan bad things.
This is not what the bible teaches. No one is made to do good by God, nor is any one made to do bad by Satan. People do bad because they are drawn away by the lusts of their own hearts. It is out of the heart that sin proceeds because the human heart is wicked.
If you say that Satan makes you do bad things then you are absolving yourself of blame. Blaming Satan for your crimes wouldn't hold up in a court of law and it certainly won't hold up on the day of judgement where we will have to give an account for every idle word. Satan does tempt Christians but God has provided a way to resist temptation and will provide a way out if we pray to Him for help.
God doesn't make us do good. If he did we would be mere automatons. Rather, we choose to love God. Forced love is no love at all. The only way to demonstrate our love for God is to obey Him and his commandments are not grievous.
Last edited by EireannachforGod on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
EireannachforGod
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 am
Location: Taiwan/Philippines

Re: Good and Evil

Post by EireannachforGod » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:53 am

However, since Satan exists outside of the kingdom of heaven, and is deemed seperate to Yahweh, he does in fact count as a seperate god.

Hence, christianity is a polytheism, because even though they do not worship the two gods, they certainly believe in them.
No where in scripture does it teach that Satan is a god. He is a fallen angel. We know he exists but we do not worship him or his minions. Satan is a created being.
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Good and Evil

Post by chemicals » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:39 am

EireannachforGod wrote:You know nothing of what the bible teaches.
Hmm I thought Atheist were supposed to the arrogant ones ??

Hows the list ( in bold type) on Scientists/Nobel prize winners who accept evolution coming on ?

Any luck with correcting that quote from your creationist friend that I asked you to do ?

How about an answer on the bible quote I asked you about ?

Thought you lot had all the answers ?
والقس هو مجنون
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Good and Evil

Post by chemicals » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:41 am

“Contemptuous of the faiths of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Chemicals on Christians
والقس هو مجنون
EireannachforGod
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 am
Location: Taiwan/Philippines

Re: Good and Evil

Post by EireannachforGod » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:30 am

You know nothing of what the bible teaches
Bad choice of words I'll grant you. I should have said that that is not what the bible teaches.

I'll get to your questions. It's a bit time-consuming because I'm a busy man with wife and kids and other responsibilities. Sorry for the delay.
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
artyfarty
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:23 am

Re: Good and Evil

Post by artyfarty » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:27 pm

EireannachforGod wrote:
Rather, we choose to love God. Forced love is no love at all.
Emm... from what I was taught it was a case of worship and love god or burn and suffer torment in hell for the rest of eternity, i.e. love and worship me or else. How is that not forced love?
A little boy prayed for a bike. Then he realised God doesn't work that way so he stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Carl Sagan - The Pale Blue Dot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M
munsterdevil
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Good and Evil

Post by munsterdevil » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:24 pm

EireannachforGod wrote:
Forced love is no love at all. The only way to demonstrate our love for God is to obey Him and his commandments are not grievous.
artyfarty beat me to it, but once again saying your soul will burn in the fires of hell just because you don't worship a god, and will not if you do is forced worship, that is indoctrinated at a young age in christians.
EireannachforGod wrote:
No where in scripture does it teach that Satan is a god. He is a fallen angel. We know he exists but we do not worship him or his minions. Satan is a created being.
Created or not, Satan, is the ruler of an afterlife realm that receives souls, and even though he may have been created by god, Satan is entirley seperate from god, and that in my opinion counts as a seperate god. Also, those that follow him would disagree with you.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
munsterdevil
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Good and Evil

Post by munsterdevil » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:25 pm

EireannachforGod wrote:
Forced love is no love at all. The only way to demonstrate our love for God is to obey Him and his commandments are not grievous.
artyfarty beat me to it, but once again saying your soul will burn in the fires of hell just because you don't worship a god, and will not if you do is forced worship, that is indoctrinated at a young age in christians.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Good and Evil

Post by chemicals » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:45 pm

If this god fella is so powerful why does he not just kill Satan ? :?
والقس هو مجنون
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Good and Evil

Post by chemicals » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:06 pm

And if "god does not mistakes " is true -are you saying Satan was intentional ?
والقس هو مجنون
Post Reply