Good and Evil

General discussions
EireannachforGod

Re: Good and Evil

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:53 am

mkaobrih wrote:Argument from personal experience won’t wash here. Try harder.
The bible teaches that if you seek God you WILL find Him.Personal experience has shown that to be true for me.

The bible is no ordinary book - it's clearly divinely inspired. The coherence of its narrative is astonishing despite its enormous time gaps. The main problem dealt with in the bible is the problem of sin. The whole of the Old Testament anticipates a savior who will deal with the sin problem; the New Testament reveals him.

In addition no other book has the element of fulfilled prophecy that the bible does. Roughly 300 prophecies were fulfilled in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. Interestingly around 900 prophecies pertain to His second coming.
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
EireannachforGod

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:02 am

Logorrhea wrote:
EireannachforGod wrote: Can you define the word "evil" in answer to my question?
Your question was already answered but in response to your inability to use a dictionary: http://www.dictionary.com has evil defined as "morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked"

Do you have a specific definition you work off that makes your point more relevent?
Evil is the absence or privation of something good. Evil does not have essence by itself, rather it is a real corruption of something good. For example, tooth decay can only exist as long as the tooth exists.

If you are going to claim that evil exists in the world then you must ask by what criteria is something judged to be evil in the first place. What is the moral measuring stick by which people and events are morally appraised?
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
EireannachforGod

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:11 am

mkaobrih wrote:Argument from personal experience won’t wash here. Try harder.
You hold your own remote you say. God forbid, you may get killed going home tonight, or choke to death on a chicken bone. Your remote control won't be able to help you then. If you are in total control of your future you should at least be in control of your own body. You can't even control your daily bodily functions, your kidneys, bladder, liver, lungs etc. They all work independently of your will. It's ludicrous to say that you have control over your future when you don't even have total control over your own body.

nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:14 am

EireannachforGod wrote:You and I have different ideas on how to live with each other. So how can we ever agree on it. That approach is a recipe for confusion.
But I am not living in a society with just you and I am I? I am living in a society with millions of other people.

It is called democracy.

Like I said, read this:
http://www.atheist.ie/2009/02/the-immor ... -morality/
EireannachforGod

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:32 am

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:
EireannachforGod wrote:You and I have different ideas on how to live with each other. So how can we ever agree on it. That approach is a recipe for confusion.
But I am not living in a society with just you and I am I? I am living in a society with millions of other people.

It is called democracy.

Like I said, read this:
http://www.atheist.ie/2009/02/the-immor ... -morality/
When did the truth become democratic?

nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:45 am

EireannachforGod wrote:When did the truth become democratic?
Where did I say anything about truth? Where has that word even been used once in this entire thread before now?

Word of advice on this site. Like any site there are things that you will get away with doing and things you will not.

Top of the list of things you will not get away with doing is replying to things people never said while ignoring what they did.

Do it to me again and it will be the last reply you ever get from me.
EireannachforGod

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 am

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:
EireannachforGod wrote:When did the truth become democratic?
Where did I say anything about truth? Where has that word even been used once in this entire thread before now?

Word of advice on this site. Like any site there are things that you will get away with doing and things you will not.

Top of the list of things you will not get away with doing is replying to things people never said while ignoring what they did.

Do it to me again and it will be the last reply you ever get from me.
Point taken. Thank you.

chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:41 am

EireannachforGod wrote:The bible is no ordinary book - it's clearly divinely inspired.
Proof Please ?

And all the things you could say about Jesus and the bible could just as easily be said about Muhammed and the Koran . (Or any other prophet and their holy book) .

We could just as easily be taking to a guy called "EirannachforAllah" or "EirannachforKrishna"
والقس هو مجنون
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 am

EireannachforGod wrote: a Doctor Paul Tillich came in to speak for two-and-a-half hours trying to prove that the resurrection of Jesus was false.
Would he be this Dr Paul Tillich

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tillich
http://www.theology.ie/theologians/tillich.htm

the guy who wrote this

http://www.religion-online.org/showbook.asp?title=375

And what was the name of this old home town preacher with the apple ?
(who always seems appears in these stories )

you might find this link the most revealing of all
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/tillich.htm

I await your reply
والقس هو مجنون
EireannachforGod

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:19 pm

chemicals wrote:
EireannachforGod wrote:The bible is no ordinary book - it's clearly divinely inspired.
Proof Please ?

And all the things you could say about Jesus and the bible could just as easily be said about Muhammed and the Koran . (Or any other prophet and their holy book) .

We could just as easily be taking to a guy called "EirannachforAllah" or "EirannachforKrishna"
You would have to look into it yourself. A starting point would be to take a look at the fulfilled prophecies in the bible.

Another area to look into would be the scientific facts it contains. For example, the bible talked about the "paths of the seas" long before ocenagraphers knew aything about ocean currents. In fact, Matthew Maury, who is considered the father of ocenagrapher noticed the expression "paths in the sea" in Psalm 8:8 and declared," If God said there are paths in the sea, I am going to find them." Maury used the bible as a guide to a scientific discovery.
I could also mention the principle of quarantine mentioned in Leviticus 13 and 14. If people used these guiding principles, millions upon millions of lives would have been saved during epidemics such as the Black plague. I could go about the earh's free float in space, mentioned in Job 26:7 at a time when the scientific world believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant.

By the way the attributes of Allah and the god of the bible are very different indeed so I couldn't possibly stand for both.