Good and Evil

General discussions
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:17 am

Re: Good and Evil

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Hahah, oh my that is just too much.

Any idiot can look at a sick person and notice that the people around him got sick, then the people around them tend to get sick… and so on. Maybe noticing such patterns is so amazing that it shocks YOU, but it is pretty elementary observation to the rest of us.

After 100s of years of observation and verbal traditions of warnings on the matter, it would be a true miracle if people did NOT notice that quarantining works when people display sicknesses.

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of medical history knows that in ancient Greece for example people like Thucydides and Hippocrates wrote about avoiding people with known contagious infection.

That you therefore grab on to this in the Bible to try and show that there must have been some inspiration of the book with higher knowledge than any common man had at the time is probably the biggest laugh I have had today and maybe even this month.
EireannachforGod
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 am
Location: Taiwan/Philippines

Re: Good and Evil

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm

chemicals wrote:
EireannachforGod wrote: a Doctor Paul Tillich came in to speak for two-and-a-half hours trying to prove that the resurrection of Jesus was false.
Would he be this Dr Paul Tillich

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tillich
http://www.theology.ie/theologians/tillich.htm

the guy who wrote this

http://www.religion-online.org/showbook.asp?title=375


And what was the name of this old home town preacher with the apple ?
(who always seems appears in these stories )


you might find this link the most revealing of all
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/tillich.htm


I await your reply

Thank you for your reply. I will have to look into the veracity of the event before getting back to you. I must admit that I will be very disapoointed if the event in question never happened but you must realise that I only used the story as an illustration of something that is true in my life. Whether or not the old preacher in the auditorioum ever existed, his comment about Jesus rings true for every true born-again Christian. Those who truly know Jesus can confindently say that having a personal relationship with him is the sweetest thing that has ever happened to them and they wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thanks again.
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
EireannachforGod
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 am
Location: Taiwan/Philippines

Re: Good and Evil

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:56 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Hahah, oh my that is just too much.

Any idiot can look at a sick person and notice that the people around him got sick, then the people around them tend to get sick… and so on. Maybe noticing such patterns is so amazing that it shocks YOU, but it is pretty elementary observation to the rest of us.

After 100s of years of observation and verbal traditions of warnings on the matter, it would be a true miracle if people did NOT notice that quarantining works when people display sicknesses.

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of medical history knows that in ancient Greece for example people like Thucydides and Hippocrates wrote about avoiding people with known contagious infection.

That you therefore grab on to this in the Bible to try and show that there must have been some inspiration of the book with higher knowledge than any common man had at the time is probably the biggest laugh I have had today and maybe even this month.

Leviticus was written by Moses between 1440 and 1400 B.C long before both Thucydides and Hippocrates lived.
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Good and Evil

Post by chemicals » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:59 pm

EireannachforGod wrote: You would have to look into it yourself.
Your the one making the claim
Proof Please ????
والقس هو مجنون
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Good and Evil

Post by chemicals » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Those who truly know Jesus can confidently say that having a personal relationship with him is the sweetest thing that has ever happened to them and they wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thanks again.
Those who truly know The spaghetti flying monster can confidently say that having a personal relationship with him is the sweetest thing that has ever happened to them and they wouldn't trade it for the world.

there fore the SFM must exist?
والقس هو مجنون
EireannachforGod
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 am
Location: Taiwan/Philippines

Re: Good and Evil

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:19 pm

chemicals wrote:
EireannachforGod wrote: You would have to look into it yourself.
Your the one making the claim
Proof Please ????

Fulfilled prophecies are ample proof for me but maybe not for you. How else can you account for their accuracy? Here's the thing: not one of those pertaining to Jesus' life, death, and resurrection were wrong. That's good enough for me. The prophecies pertaining to the regathering of the Jews to Israel and the reestablishment of the nation of Israel were fulfilled in the past 60 years or so.
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:17 am

Re: Good and Evil

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 pm

EireannachforGod wrote:Leviticus was written by Moses between 1440 and 1400 B.C long before both Thucydides and Hippocrates lived.
Way to totally miss the point. It is ancient knowledge that anyone with the deductive reasoning of the average bronze aged peasant could work out for themselves. This is not the miracle of knowledge from on high here.
EireannachforGod
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 am
Location: Taiwan/Philippines

Re: Good and Evil

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:27 pm

chemicals wrote:
Those who truly know Jesus can confidently say that having a personal relationship with him is the sweetest thing that has ever happened to them and they wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thanks again.
Those who truly know The spaghetti flying monster can confidently say that having a personal relationship with him is the sweetest thing that has ever happened to them and they wouldn't trade it for the world.

there fore the SFM must exist?
I thought it was the flying spaghetti monster. If you "truly know the SFM" tell me why it's the sweetest thing that has ever happened to you.
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Good and Evil

Post by chemicals » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Another area to look into would be the scientific facts it contains.
Could you explain this to me in terms of what we know about genetics

Genesis 30:37-42
والقس هو مجنون
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Good and Evil

Post by chemicals » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:33 pm

EireannachforGod wrote:
I thought it was the flying spaghetti monster.
I don't subscribe to that heresy -The true follower knows its SFM (PBUHNA)

If you "truly know the SFM" tell me why it's the sweetest thing that has ever happened to you.
I think your missing the point on this one :)
والقس هو مجنون
Post Reply