Good and Evil

General discussions
EireannachforGod

Re: Good and Evil

Post by EireannachforGod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:39 pm

chemicals wrote:
EireannachforGod wrote:
I thought it was the flying spaghetti monster.
I don't subscribe to that heresy -The true follower knows its SFM (PBUHNA)

If you "truly know the SFM" tell me why it's the sweetest thing that has ever happened to you.
I think your missing the point on this one :)[/quote

How so?
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 pm

EireannachforGod wrote:I think your missing the point on this one [/quote
One thing I have always wondered about is why do over 90% of the god bothers who join this channel display a complete inability to use the quote function correctly?

At first it just seemed like a coincidence, but now its an emergent pattern.

Is there something about Christianity that precludes one from being able to use this function consistently without error? Or is it just the same person/people are joining this forum over and over again with different user names?
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Fulfilled prophecies are ample proof for me but maybe not for you. How else can you account for their accuracy? Here's the thing: not one of those pertaining to Jesus' life, death, and resurrection were wrong. That's good enough for me.
How do you know they were fulfilled ?
-because it says so in the Bible -look up "circular reasoning"

Do you really think the guys who wrote all that would put in ones that did not come true?

And how do you know the were not made up after the fact ?

after all who is going to follow a guy who does not fulfil the prophesy

The prophecies pertaining to the regathering of the Jews to Israel and the reestablishment of the nation of Israel were fulfilled in the past 60 years or so.
Considering it was Jewish people who wrote the Bible their desire to reform and expel foreigners and dream of independence is hardly supernatural

" a nation once again " etc..
والقس هو مجنون
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:52 pm

The bible is not known for it accuracy – it say’s that "pie" is 3. So EireannachforGod do you believe the circumference of a circle 6r?
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:56 pm

chemicals wrote:Do you really think the guys who wrote all that would put in ones that did not come true?
Actually in one case they did better than that in that they wrote one in that was never actually made.

Due to the mistranslation between Greek and Hebrew bibles the Messiah was expected to be born of a "virgin" instead of a "young woman" which the original text claimed. The mis-translation was made because of social preconceptions at the time expecting that a woman of that age WOULD be a virgin, not because she was actually said to be GOING to be a virgin*

So the New Testament was written to fulfill the virginity prophecy, even though that prophecy was never actually made :)

*(Sort of like if I call someone a "pre-teen" now a days you would expect that they would be a virgin, but you would not always be right).
Regens Küchl

Post by Regens Küchl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:55 pm

EireannachforGod wrote: There is one primary way to determine if the god of the bible exists. My faith isn't intellectual; it is experiential. You can have a personal relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. Please let me tell a story to illustrate my point.

One day at the University of Chicago Divinity School, a Doctor Paul Tillich came in to speak for two-and-a-half hours trying to prove that the resurrection of Jesus was false. He quoted scholar after scholar, book after book, and concluded that there was no resurrection. He then asked if there were any questions.

After 30 seconds or so, an old preacher stood up at the back. "Docta Tilich, I got one question," he said as he pulled out an apple from his bag and started eating it. "Dochta Tillich, as he munched, my question is simple (munch, munch). Now I ain't never read them books you read (munch, munch). I don't know nothin' about Neibuhr and Heidegger (munch, munch), and I can't recite the Scriptures in the original Greek." He finished the apple. "All I wanna know is: This apple I just ate - was it bitter or sweet?"

Dr. Tillich paused for a moment and answered in exemplary scholarly fashion: "I cannot possibly answer that question, for I haven't tasted your apple." The old preacher dropped the apple core into his crumpled paper bag, looked up at Dr. Tillich and said calmly," Neither have you tasted my Jesus."
"Taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusts in Him" (Psalm 34:8).
Even assumed this strory is true, I am sure the rest of the story would have bin this >

Dr. Tillich gave a smile and said >
"The difference, my dear missionary ist that 1) this apple did exist at all, but there is at last 50 percentent possibility that even a historical Jesus never existed :mrgreen:
And 2) it is possible for an apple to be sweet or sour, perhaps bitter even. But a Jewish Zombie who is his own father rising from the death is not that possible, so you present no point at all :wink: "

Suddenly the old Geezer began to choke on his apple because he had swallowed it too hastily, and he would have died of suffocation if not Dr. Tillich had known and used on him the Heimlich Griff :twisted:

"Tank thou Dochta Tillich." the old preacher muttered"I woulda have choked on that damned Jesus who not even really lived, If not for you saving me from that Jesushoax, saving my very life. At last I am now finally free from that Jewish undead munsta Jesuch Christ :P
Oh, and muh apple was a cheap coming tasteless thing, muh haff to tell thou. As is that Jesuch from whom zou now have freed me . No more false belief in that Jesuchlie for me, or in thet so called holy bible that Jeewich book of lies :lol:"

"Happy to were able to be of service, my dear fellow!" Doctor Tillich replied and both men bode each other farewell with greatest delight :mrgreen:
JamesBurkill

Post by JamesBurkill » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:05 am

Regens Küchl wrote: Even assumed this strory is true, I am sure the rest of the story would have bin this >

Dr. Tillich gave a smile and said >
"The difference, my dear missionary ist that 1) this apple did exist at all, but there is at last 50 percentent possibility that even a historical Jesus never existed :mrgreen:
And 2) it is possible for an apple to be sweet or sour, perhaps bitter even. But a Jewish Zombie who is his own father rising from the death is not that possible, so you present no point at all :wink: "

Suddenly the old Geezer began to choke on his apple because he had swallowed it too hastily, and he would have died of suffocation if not Dr. Tillich had known and used on him the Heimlich Griff :twisted:

"Tank thou Dochta Tillich." the old preacher muttered"I woulda have choked on that damned Jesus who not even really lived, If not for you saving me from that Jesushoax, saving my very life. At last I am now finally free from that Jewish undead munsta Jesuch Christ :P
Oh, and muh apple was a cheap coming tasteless thing, muh haff to tell thou. As is that Jesuch from whom zou now have freed me . No more false belief in that Jesuchlie for me, or in thet so called holy bible that Jeewich book of lies :lol:"

"Happy to were able to be of service, my dear fellow!" Doctor Tillich replied and both men bode each other farewell with greatest delight :mrgreen:
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
*wipes tear from eye*
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
*falls off chair*
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
*picks self up*
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
ahhhhh :lol:
EireannachforGod

Post by EireannachforGod » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:03 am

"Tank thou Dochta Tillich." the old preacher muttered"I woulda have choked on that damned Jesus who not even really lived"
James, the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses His name. You have no idea how serious a sin it is.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say there were no God to face after death. If when you're dead you're dead, you won't even have the pleasure of turning to me and saying, "See. I told you so!" What if you're wrong though James and there is a God who will hold you accountable for every word you have ever spoken? You will be in big trouble on the day of Judgment. You are playing Russian Roulette with a loaded gun.
"The more I study nature the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. " Louis Pasteur

“Contemptuous of the faith of others, its proponents never doubt their own belief. They are fundamentalists.” Gary Wolf on the new atheists
EireannachforGod

Post by EireannachforGod » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:25 am

How do we determine what is good and what is evil?

"Together".
You say that together we determine what good and evil are, right? You mean to say that if a majority of the members of a society belief that same-sex marriage for example benefits society as a whole then it's good. Am I correct in saying this?

Assuming that I am correct, how do we know what the majority has determined is good? Is it through generally accepted behaviour, generally practiced behaviour or through our laws and statutes? Look at theft for example. The law says that it's not right/good (therefore wrong/evil according to the biblical definition which I work off) to steal yet most people steal (think copyright infringement for example). So tell me, how do we know if stealing is good or evil?

EireannachforGod

Post by EireannachforGod » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:42 am

The bible is not known for it accuracy – it say’s that "pie" is 3. So EireannachforGod do you believe the circumference of a circle 6r?
Are you kidding? Every objection has been dealt with.

If the bible were inaccurate in one point, even one, then its authority would have to be called into question. After all, it claims to be the word of God and God does not make mistakes. Your objection is a common objection but if you take the time to read the following article, a link to which I have provided, you will see that there is in fact no error here.

http://www.icr.org/article/524/