IONA Institute launches ad campaign

General discussions
peter63
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

IONA Institute launches ad campaign

Post by peter63 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 pm

The IONA Institute has just launched an ad campaign at some 110 bus shelters in Dublin.
Saw a couple on the N11 between Blackrock and Cabinteely yesterday.
The ad reads: "Here is a Little Science. The Practice of religion is Good for You"

It then invites people to visit this page for the "Evidence" > http://www.religiouspractice.ie/
This research is summarised in a report by Professor Patricia Casey’s called THE PSYCHO-SOCIAL BENEFITS OF RELIGIOUS PRACTICE, which was commissioned by The Iona Institute. Her work summarises how religious belief can enhance wellbeing...

...The studies that testify to the benefits of religious practice listed on this website can be found in Professor Casey paper.
Here >http://www.religiouspractice.ie/Religio ... tice-2.pdf

Iona institute page announcing the ad campaign > http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=534

Would there be any point in an AI response to the ad in some form or other? Not so much to the claim that "practicing" religion may have benefits, which is probably true in some cases, but to the corollary that seems to follow, which is that since religion has some quantifiable benefits, we should not get rid of it.
“God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed” Luis Buñuel. Quoted in The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: IONA Institute launches ad campaign

Post by Dev » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:52 am

Clearly religion has been relegated to the echelons of vitamin C and potassium.

I'm not even bothered to challenge the "science" behind the claim. Even if it was proved that lying to yourself can reduce stress and promote mental wellbeing. That still doesn't make it a valid reason for believing. I suspect this is just aimed at lapsed Catholics who are all on the healthy living bandwagon.
peter63 wrote: Would there be any point in an AI response to the ad in some form or other?
I don't see this new campaign being very effective.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:53 am

Touch of the
"THE PSYCHO-SOCIAL BENEFITS OF Communism , which was commissioned by The Limerick soviet
about that one .

and of course we all know which belief they should believe in -not Hinduism I suspect !
والقس هو مجنون
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 am

How about "Here's some science - Religion is bad for society"

And then quote the social health statistics on highly religious countries vs highly secular countries.

We will be commiting the same fallacy as Iona (post hoc ergo propter hoc).
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:49 am

I think the best response would be to advertise that (stupid) Templeton trial which proved to their immense embarrassment that prayer was bad for you. :lol:

http://templeton-cambridge.org/fellows/ ... rticle=126

Or in other words: it's a really bad idea to try & test matters of faith with science
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:35 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:How about "Here's some science - Religion is bad for society"

And then quote the social health statistics on highly religious countries vs highly secular countries.

We will be commiting the same fallacy as Iona (post hoc ergo propter hoc).
Next the 'psychic-a Institute of Ireland' will write a paper saying 'The practice of reading the horoscope everyday is good for you' and especially when you phone for a personal one.

I don't know much about IONA, apart from being a catholic funded group that gets credited media attention, but where does the institute part come in?

If there was a comment to be made, I think it should be as a direct challenge to the validity of the IONA 'institute'. A research paper on IONA that the media can read, showing that IONA are biased and subjective, giving literary ammunition against them.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:53 am

Not sure what our Ad type should be but it does open the door to such a campaign by us which up to now I though might not be allowed.

Let do one and we can all donate small amounts of money to this and it will add up.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:55 pm

What's most pathetic about this is the fact that they haven't the balls to state that Casey is a patron of the Iona Institute. What the hell else is she going to say?? Isn't there a very real possibility of conflict of interest in her study?
bockedy

Post by bockedy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:37 am

So, uhhm, which scientific journal was this published in?

This "paper" can largely be boiled down to the following summary: if you're religious, you might have a better chance of having a higher placebo response.

And if that is the case, so what? It's bloody obvious.

How about spending your research grant on trying to find practical applications and enhancements of the placebo effect, rather than trotting out this selective, flawed, and highly biased sham of a meta-study.

Where's Ben Goldacre when you need him ?
May Ea smite thee with the might of his fist!
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:18 pm

I noticed with amazement this Iona Institute advertisement at the local bus stop.

On reading the advertisement I was struck by a thought. Why on earth does the Iona Institute feel the need to promote religion in a Country where the non-religious have no rights and the Catholic Church have very obvious power and influence?

It was that thought that lifted my spirits because they have spent money on this campaign and they obviously feel they need to as otherwise why do it.

The Iona institutes who promote the Catholic Church feel the need to promote religion in a Country where the non-religious have no rights. I believe that just about sums up this advertisement and that fact can only mean good news for me.