Muslims Threaten To Kill South Park Creators

General discussions
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Muslims Threaten To Kill South Park Creators

Post by IrishAndroid » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Anderson Cooper 360, excellent video. Another reminder why we should never bend to the will of religious intolerance and why freedom of speech is so important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZbtgjx9xE0
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Muslims Threaten To Kill South Park Creators

Post by dugges » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:52 pm

I heard about that, which is interesting because the 2nd part of that episode will be premiered tonight. Hopefully comedy central don't pull it. Considering the episode satirised censorship on Mohammed the irony is immense.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
gmcfoley
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by gmcfoley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:02 am

No Mohammed - Garbage episode.
Muslim terrorists have basically won the war on free speech. South Park even beeped Mohammed's name through out the entire episode. Although CNN did show the Danish cartoons of Mohammed on air so maybe there is some hope.
sp.jpg
sp.jpg (38.51 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:48 am

gmcfoley wrote:Although CNN did show the Danish cartoons of Mohammed on air so maybe there is some hope.
I was surprised at that, and quite happy. Maybe CNN isn't the total crapfest many people think it has become.
CandieMalone
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CandieMalone » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I evident by my avatar, I am a devout South Park fan. In July 2001, they did an episode with the Super Friends made up of Jesus, Moses, Krishna, John Smith, Buddha, Lao Tzu, Sea Man and, yes, Muhammad. (His power was fire.) There were no threats of violence after that episode. Seems to me, it should have been just as offensive to Muslims before 9/11 as it is to them today. It is even more ridiculous as they did not even show Muhammad in the 200th episode. He was in a U-Haul truck and a bear mascot uniform.
South Park has a long tradition of mocking religion. It started as an internet christmas card that shows Santa and Jesus fighting each other to see who should be more loved at christmas time. South Park has entire episodes ridiculing judaism, mormonism, scientology, christianity and catholicism. Why should islam be above mocking? That is the point they are trying to make with this two part episode. Celebrities want Muhammad as he is impervious to being made fun of and they want to harness that power. Does religious devotion make one blind to irony?
I doubt Matt and Trey will bow to fundamentalist pressure. I just hope no harm comes to them because of this, but as Albert Camus wrote in The Plague, “Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.”
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." Albert Einstein
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Looks like the 2nd part of the episode aired and can be seen here
http://www.xepisodes.com/southpark/epis ... 6/201.html

By the way, The Super Best Friends episode is in Season 5 if your interested, where it shows the prophet. It was broadcast before the Danish Cartoons broke out.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:25 pm

CandieMalone (paraphrase) wrote: South Park has long history of inciting religious controversy but some Muslims are only getting offended/angry now.
The right of free speech outweighs the right to not be offended.
I might have a good explanation for why this is. I've just read Malcolm Gladwell's book, Tipping Point. I'm sure some here have read it.

The first half of the book is used to explain the "law of the few" - basically that individuals are not all equal in how ideas/social changes occur. People have naturally different properties (personalities) that results in a small amount of people exerting huge influence on the rest.

Using Gladwell's suicide epidemic in Micronesia as an example, suicides were initially very rare more so than anywhere in the west. When they did happen the people that did it were reclusive and didn't affect others. What changed was a very charismatic affluent man who had many friends killed himself from the pressure of concealing two marriages i.e. juggling two different lives. This may or may not have been the ground zero but it's likely a similar occurrence once.

When word spread people saw this as a very specific message. Essentially it was him giving permission to others, it removed the stigma. The epidemic that ensued was more and more people were committing suicide till rates reached six times western standards. There were reports of people committing suicides for the most trivial reasons. Petty conflicts, failing a spelling test etc. People were doing things they wouldn't otherwise do.

How does this relate to this issue at hand?

I don't know what the tipping point in this instance was but I suspect the Danish cartoon incident "gave permission" to Muslims who were originally apathetic to such depictions.

"Epidemics are sensitive to the conditions and circumstances of the times and places in which they occur."

I have no doubt we have an angry Muslim epidemic on our hands. These outbursts aren't infrequent and are fast becoming the norm. Essentially this has nothing to do with South Park and everything to do with how some Muslim attitudes have changed. Thus the problem lies with them. Any notions that South Park shouldn't be immature or baiting are missing the point.

It does seem Matt Stone and Trey Parker are the best trolls in the world at the moment.
Last edited by Dev on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:38 pm

As a long time watcher an huge fan of the show, I am nearly certain that the SP creators knew what they were doing. The censored label over Mohammed during the second episode was farcsical and hilarious, equally, the dubbing over of the closing speech (which was obviously about Mohammed) also had the same effect.

They must have known that this was going to happen, and are just highlighting the the whole stupidity of those getting offended by the slagging off of Mohammed.

Well done to the creators of South Park!!!
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Rational_thinker

Post by Rational_thinker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Hmm - I can't agree on this. I think that South Park has just become childish. They don't take a position: they just mock everything and everyone (though someone wimped out on this one). Well OK - but it's not really radical. It's really just childish. It might be funny - and the 'laughing at theists' line might overlap with my atheist views periodically. However, just as frequently it won't - because their purpose is just to amuse a certain cynical portion, wherever possible and by almost whatever means. That means exploiting stereotypes - irrespective of any kind of value judgement around the validity of the stereotype.

So - I think that they are false friends to a rationalist agenda.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence Carl Sagan
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs Unknown
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Rational_thinker wrote:Hmm - I can't agree on this. I think that South Park has just become childish. They don't take a position: they just mock everything and everyone (though someone wimped out on this one). Well OK - but it's not really radical. It's really just childish. It might be funny - and the 'laughing at theists' line might overlap with my atheist views periodically. However, just as frequently it won't - because their purpose is just to amuse a certain cynical portion, wherever possible and by almost whatever means. That means exploiting stereotypes - irrespective of any kind of value judgement around the validity of the stereotype.

So - I think that they are false friends to a rationalist agenda.
I could not disagree more, to me South Park is one of the cleverest satirical shows on TV, fair enough they mock everyone and anyone, but they are not out to be anyones friend, I'd hardly call Parker and Stone as fence sitters. Also, it wasn't Parker or Stone that wimped out with the censorship over Mohammed, it was the powers that be in Comedy Central. As was stated on the recent show, and on this thread, Mohammed was already shown in the early decade and there was not a thing about it, they were simply highlighting the fallacy of Muslim's being offended, while other religions did not object, at least not in the same extremes.

This is just my personal opinion, I've encountered lots that hate SP for much the same reasons as yourself.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke