CARDINAL SEAN BRADY

General discussions
tony

Re: CARDINAL SEAN BRADY

Post by tony » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Wouldn't expect anything less from the man who got children to swear an oath of secrecy after being abused. He should be facing a prison sentence.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 60220.html
Cardinal on a collision course with State over confession
By Tom Shiel and Grainne Cunningham

Monday August 29 2011

CARDINAL Sean Brady has voiced vehement opposition to government plans to criminalise priests who do not report sex abuse admitted in the confessional.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:58 am

Anyone catch Vincent Browne last night? Father Twomey (from NUI Maynooth) actually stated that he thinks Brady should stand down.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
tony

Post by tony » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:08 pm

It amazes me that Cardinal Sean Brady has not resigned.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 50802.html
Church makes settlement with man abused by paedophile priest Brendan Smyth
By Sarah Stack

Wednesday November 30 2011

CARDINAL Sean Brady, the head of the Catholic Church in Ireland, today made an out-of-court settlement with Brendan Boland who was abused by notorious paedophile priest Brendan Smyth.

After his 14 year fight for justice, Mr Boland issued a statement outside Dublin's Four Courts through his solicitor, Paul Horan.

Here it is in full: "I was abused by Fr Brendan Smyth between 1973 and 1975. I was 12 years of age when the abuse commenced.

"Ultimately, I confided in a young priest who was attached to my local youth club. He brought the matter to the attention of the Church authorities who convened an inquiry or Ecclesiastical Court at which were present three priests, one of whom was the defendant, then Fr Brady.

"I was interrogated principally by Fr Francis (Frank) Donnelly, (subsequently Monsignor), on my own at the said inquiry/Ecclesiastical Court.

"While my father was in the building, he was not allowed in to the room.

"I was subsequently required to swear an oath which was written down, administered and attested by this defendant: - 'I, Brendan Boland, hereby swear that I have old the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and that I will talk to no-one about this interview except authorised priests.'
tony

Post by tony » Thu May 03, 2012 6:39 pm

He is coming under severe pressure now. The longer he holds on the more damage he is doing to the church.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 97558.html
Church in crisis: At least 30 abused after Cardinal Brady didn’t report Smyth
Thursday May 03 2012

NOTORIOUS paedophile priest Brendan Smyth abused 30 or more children in the years after Cardinal Sean Brady failed to report his crimes, a former RUC officer has revealed.

Pressure was growing on Dr Brady to resign today as Barnardo’s chief Fergus Finlay joined the calls for him to step down.

Dr Brady’s position is becoming increasingly untenable after new revelations about his failure to report child rape allegations or inform the parents of some of Smyth's victims.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri May 04, 2012 11:21 am

In some ways I hope he doesn't resign. At least not until after the Eucharistic Congress. It will make it all the more interesting if he's in attendance as head of the church in Ireland. If he's there, as the head of the church, there'll be a much bigger groundswell of protests at it than if he steps down before it.
tony

Post by tony » Sun May 06, 2012 10:54 am

And this guy is the head of the organisation which is the patron of 92pc of the 3,200 primary schools in the country! Let the church keep him but the state should now take control of education and keep our children away from these people.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analy ... 01324.html
'You never got to like it?' The answer to that sinister, suspicious, insinuating, abusive question remains 'No'
By Colum Kenny
Sunday May 06 2012
The manner in which abuse victim Brendan Boland was questioned exposes serious flaws within the church, writes Colum Kenny

'You never got to like it?" That was one of the remarkable questions put to Brendan Boland when he was interrogated by priests in 1975 after reporting to the Catholic Church his sexual abuse at the hands of Fr Brendan Smyth.

"You never got to like it?" The question itself is abusive. It serves no obvious good purpose. I sought an explanation for it last week, but was told only that the entire exercise was intended "to gather evidence against the criminal priest".

A spokesperson for Cardinal Sean Brady, who was present as a priest at that investigation in 1975, told me that Brady "did not construct those questions or ask those questions". But he was there and he signed off on them (as plain "John" and not "Sean" Brady)
tony

Post by tony » Sun May 05, 2013 11:03 am

I hope this guy is put back in his box soon. The neck of him.
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ca ... 42992.html
Cardinal keeps excommunication threat hanging over abortion TDs
Brian McDonald – 05 May 2013
The Catholic Church has left the threat of excommunication hanging over the heads of Catholic members of the Dail who vote for the abortion legislation in its current format.
Asked if a TD who voted for the legislation as published would not automatically be excommunicated and should not therefore present himself/herself for Holy Communion, Archbishop Brady replied: "That is down the line at the moment, as far as we are concerned.

"It (our job) is to convince the electorate first of all and the legislators."

Pressed on the matter, Cardinal Brady pointed out that the exact legislation that would be introduced was not yet known.

"We know what the law is about excommunication, about abortion, that's a fact.

"But, as I say, the most important issue at this moment is to win the hearts and minds of the people of Ireland to decide with the pro-life," the cardinal said.

He described the proposed legislation as morally unacceptable and suggested that it may amount to evil.

Cardinal Brady was responding to a question asking if it was also morally unacceptable for a Catholic legislator to introduce it.

"We're trying to persuade them not to introduce it. In addition to doing good, we also have to oppose evil and to oppose a law that would take away fundamental rights from people. It should be opposed."

The message from yesterday's event in Knock, which was attended by the former Taoiseach John Bruton, was that human life was very precious and that any attempt to destroy human life was unacceptable morally.

Cardinal Brady said: "We are planning to mobilise, in the sense of making people aware of the issues, the very important issues that are at stake in this debate and in that way they would influence those who they can influence, namely the legislators.
Séasán Ó Riabhaigh
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Séasán Ó Riabhaigh » Mon May 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Even in death,Smyth was being protected by the church-his funeral being in the darkness of the early hours,and him being buried in concrete.I first thought that was by way of punishment for his sins.But as it turned out,the idea of the concrete was so that nobody could dig him up and tear his rancid flesh apart.

The net is closing in on Brady.But I would enjoy seeing him take one more huge fall before he finally steps down.Cover-ups should be classed as perversion of the course of justice(another system which I have no faith in).He should be in jail-simple as that.
Being a heathen is better than being a hypocrite.