Excommunication - making your unbelief official

General discussions

Would you like to be excommunicated?

Yes, in fact, I am.
2
7%
Yes, I'll write the letter soon.
6
20%
Yes, but I won't pursue it. I'm not going to waste a second of my life dealing with the church.
6
20%
Yes, but I won't pursue it. People might find out.
0
No votes
It's a non-issue for atheists and serves no purpose.
16
53%
No, because a little agnosticism... you never know.
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 30
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:19 pm

CatHerder wrote:And what about
Martha wrote: I've been pouncing for years... give the RC fuckers as much "grief" as they give us, that's what I say! If nothing else, be a Nuisance Value :D
Yes, but I was referring to our RC government, the ones who are spending our money for and on behalf of us, the people and therefore who do have a direct impact on all our lives, which the church no longer has. Hope that clarifies my position :wink:
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Good idea!

Post by FXR » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:32 pm

Firstly I'd like to thank Wraith for bringing this up. I've thought about it on and off myself for a long time. One of the foundations for the power of the church is the number of people they "claim" are members of the flock. Once you’re baptised you’re counted in.

The idea of being excommunicated has always appealed to me. I feel it would almost be a badge of honour. It could be useful in all sorts of ways. Imagine being confronted by two brainwashed thugs in an alley and whispering darkly "Do you rrrreally vant to mes wit mee, I am hee dey kall dee exkommunikated von!"

However writing to the god squad smacks of asking their permission not to be included. I'd rather if there was a more demonstrative way of letting one's feelings be know. For example if marching across the altar at 11.30 mass and mooning at the tabernacle merited automatic disqualification I'd be there. Or better still dancing around the parish priests front garden naked with an oak branch tied to your penis singing John Lennon’s Imagine while dragging a mongrel dog dressed in red on a piece of rope.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Oh, what's happening here? The Poll has changed in the last couple of hours, from over 70% to 68% in the Non-Issue section. How did that come about I wonder?
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Good idea!

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:43 pm

FXR wrote:
However writing to the god squad smacks of asking their permission not to be included.
Precisely. So why reinforce their notions of grandeur. And whatever about all your other imaginative suggestions for demonstrating one's non allegiance, surely the BEST way is just to ignore the bastards - like they don't exist! I think the word is called BOYCOTT? No members, no club :P
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Good idea!

Post by FXR » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 pm

Martha wrote:
FXR wrote:
However writing to the god squad smacks of asking their permission not to be included.
Precisely. So why reinforce their notions of grandeur. And whatever about all your other imaginative suggestions for demonstrating one's non allegiance, surely the BEST way is just to ignore the bastards - like they don't exist! I think the word is called BOYCOTT? No members, no club :P
But the problem is Martha ignoring them is not enough. Unless you register you exclusion somewhere you're counted along with all the people who half believe or the legions who only turn up for births deaths and marriges but otherwise think bishops are dipsticks.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Good idea!

Post by Martha » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:14 pm

FXR wrote:
But the problem is Martha ignoring them is not enough. Unless you register you exclusion somewhere you're counted along with all the people who half believe or the legions who only turn up for births deaths and marriges but otherwise think bishops are dipsticks.
Its not a problem for me. If some guy (in a dog collar, or a pin-stripe suit and dickie-bow) thinks he's God, that's his problem, not mine. The only time I'm going to get worried about "the opposition" as it were, is when I am literally - and I mean physically - under threat. Then I'll have no problem defending myself.

As far as I'm concerned, they can play with numbers (statistics) all they want... in any case, they are not living in the real world, as I am :D
divil_a_bit
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Post by divil_a_bit » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

I've just voted in the poll and I see I am the only person so far to officially be "off the churches books".

I can see why most people say it's a non-issue, but for me it was important for a number of reasons:

1. I think it's important that the Catholic church don't count me as one of their sheep ever.

2. In my early years I would have been a pretty religious kid. My grandmother wanted me to become a priest! By 13 or 14 I was having serious doubts about religion as was beginning to read Stephen Hawkins and was really starting to think much more deeply about the world around me. At the time I wasn't getting the answers I wanted from Hawkings but the answers were much more interesting than the RCC could give me. By 15 I was definitely an atheist and told my parents and they were fine with it. I also told my grandmother and she also understood. I felt this was a chapter in my life I wanted to close and for me, one of the ways of doing this was officially renouncing my faith.

3. This is probably the main reason that drove me to renouncing my faith. I am marrying a Catholic and I did not want to sign a document that said "Thou shalt raise any childern God blesses you with in the RCC". I could NEVER sign it. But the very interesting part of this document is this section is for Catholics only. In the churches eyes I was still a Catholic, that was until I renounced my faith. Now I don't have to sign the document and the wedding is seen as a mixed marrige. My wife to be has to sign, but we've spoken with the priest and he is well aware of my feelings.
tony
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:58 pm

Re: Good idea!

Post by tony » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Martha wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, they can play with numbers (statistics) all they want... in any case, they are not living in the real world, as I am :D
Statistics are useful for them, example- Control of education. If most of the country are registered Christians then the Church and religious politicians have a very strong argument to keep religion in public funded schools as they will argue that that is what people want. Their beliefs affect the real world we inhabit.

Has anyone written a letter yet and tried to get excommunicated?
tony
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:58 pm

Post by tony » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:44 pm

divil_a_bit wrote:I've just voted in the poll and I see I am the only person so far to officially be "off the churches books".



3. This is probably the main reason that drove me to renouncing my faith.

Now I don't have to sign the document and the wedding is seen as a mixed marrige. My wife to be has to sign, but we've spoken with the priest and he is well aware of my feelings.
Well done. Two questions for you.

1. How did you renounce your faith?
2. You say your wife had to sign but you spoke to the priest who is aware of your feelings. Does speaking to him make a difference? Your wife still had to sign.

I'm in a similar situation to what you were in but i'm still registered with the Church. Dont want to have to sign.
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Post by Martha » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:15 am

divil_a_bit wrote: I am marrying a Catholic
If you are not /no longer a Catholic, why are you marrying a Catholic? That, I don't understand.
Post Reply