Excommunication - making your unbelief official

General discussions

Would you like to be excommunicated?

Yes, in fact, I am.
7%
Yes, I'll write the letter soon.
20%
Yes, but I won't pursue it. I'm not going to waste a second of my life dealing with the church.
20%
Yes, but I won't pursue it. People might find out.
No votes
It's a non-issue for atheists and serves no purpose.
53%
No, because a little agnosticism... you never know.
No votes

Total votes: 30
Martha

Re: Good idea!

Post by Martha » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:18 am

tony wrote: If most of the country are registered Christians then the Church and religious politicians have a very strong argument to keep religion in public funded schools as they will argue that that is what people want. Their beliefs affect the real world we inhabit.
Just so. Then we are in serious shit, if indeed, that is where the majority of irish people are at! Help! Sometimes it feels like we're living in 1930's Nazi Germany... with Kristallnacht just around the corner :shock:
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:19 am

Martha wrote:
divil_a_bit wrote: I am marrying a Catholic
If you are not /no longer a Catholic, why are you marrying a Catholic? That, I don't understand.
I once married someone who I thought was a Baptist who thought she was marrying an Irish Catholic...... thar ya go! I'm sure you would not be so unequivocal
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Martha

Post by Martha » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

FXR wrote:
I once married someone who I thought was a Baptist who thought she was marrying an Irish Catholic....
So, who or what was she marrying :roll:
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:39 am

Martha wrote:
FXR wrote:
I once married someone who I thought was a Baptist who thought she was marrying an Irish Catholic....
So, who or what was she marrying :roll:
She married the the taxi driver who got me there and I married her mate from college who she had'nt seen for years. Given the circumstances it had as much chance of working out as any other marrige........
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:22 am

I have to say I really want to do this, it seems like a big deal but in a way its really simple but I mean I eventually stopped going to church in my late teens, I don't really associate with my local area/community if you know what I mean, I wish the had their regsiter on the net and could click a box, to not be presumed catholic anymore but I dunno Im sure it get back to my mother who is the only one who still goes to church in my family, I figure I could do when I leave my parental home but you couldn't trust the priest to keep it to himself.

/lame
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:14 am

divil_a_bit wrote:...I am the only person so far to officially be "off the churches books".
I'd be very interested in what you had to do and what reaction you got when you did it. What's the procedure for getting off the books?

Citizen P.
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
divil_a_bit

Post by divil_a_bit » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:27 am

tony wrote: 1. How did you renounce your faith?
I met me parish priest and asked him what I needed to do. He had to ask his boss how to do it. It turns out all I needed to was write a letter to the diocesan secretary. I wrote a very "watered down" version of the letter here:
http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/excommunication.htm
tony wrote: 2. You say your wife had to sign but you spoke to the priest who is aware of your feelings. Does speaking to him make a difference? Your wife still had to sign.
Speaking to her priest made a big difference. He totally understood where I was coming from and he was happy that I didn't pretend to be a catholic for the day. He is happy to marry us knowing that I am an Atheist even though he knows I think mass it a load of crap.

Even though my wife to be had to sign, the priest said something like "the document says that the married couple must do everything within the unity of their marrige to raise their children as Catholics ... ". His interpretation of this is if the unity of their marrige was going to be affected if the children were to be raised Catholic, then it's better not to raise them as Catholics.

This priest may be a special case though. He seems to be a really nice guy and very rational in every other aspect of his life. We agree on lots of things. He doesn't think Communion/Confirmation is a good idea. He thinks Communion/Confirmation should wait unil the person is an adult or at least older than 16.

[/b]
divil_a_bit

Post by divil_a_bit » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:29 am

Martha wrote: If you are not /no longer a Catholic, why are you marrying a Catholic? That, I don't understand.
Are you suggesting I should/could only marry an Atheist?
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:48 pm

Martha wrote:
If you are not /no longer a Catholic, why are you marrying a Catholic? That, I don't understand.
Martha, you need to ask harder questions. Marrying a pleasant catholic is preferred to marrying an unpleasant athiest.

If we make athiesm into a formal religion, should we excommunicate those who marry ouside? Wouldn't it be great if we had a hell that we could threaten them with.
Brian
Martha

Post by Martha » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:58 pm

divil_a_bit wrote:
Martha wrote: If you are not /no longer a Catholic, why are you marrying a Catholic? That, I don't understand.
Are you suggesting I should/could only marry an Atheist?
No I'm not. Its just that I honestly don't understand why someone would consciouslychoose to marry someone whose basic belief systems is incompatible with one's own. After all, marriage is (usually) about bringing children into the world and so, if two parents are fundamentally at odds with each others' beliefs and values, then their children are inevitably going to suffer.