Excommunication - making your unbelief official

General discussions

Would you like to be excommunicated?

Yes, in fact, I am.
7%
Yes, I'll write the letter soon.
20%
Yes, but I won't pursue it. I'm not going to waste a second of my life dealing with the church.
20%
Yes, but I won't pursue it. People might find out.
No votes
It's a non-issue for atheists and serves no purpose.
53%
No, because a little agnosticism... you never know.
No votes

Total votes: 30
RedPill

Post by RedPill » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:56 pm

Don't know about other countries, but in Austria there's an incentive for non-practicing catholics to excommunicate, and it's quite effective:
Church Tax!

For the privilege of being in their club, the catholic church takes 1.1% of your salary, no discussion - and if you don't pay they're very quick to send their lawyers.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:26 pm

RedPill wrote:Don't know about other countries, but in Austria there's an incentive for non-practicing catholics to excommunicate, and it's quite effective:
Church Tax!

For the privilege of being in their club, the catholic church takes 1.1% of your salary, no discussion - and if you don't pay they're very quick to send their lawyers.
Are you saying you don't have to pay it if you're excommunicated or that it would send a good message to have the laws changed?
RedPill

Post by RedPill » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:06 pm

You don't have to pay if your excomm, which is a good reason for people to leave the church.
Actually I really agree with it. I'd take it one step (or several steps) further to take the burden of church away from the general public and put it on the shoulders of people who actually want to be part of this, but that's a different matter all together.
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by alfonso » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:36 pm

It is a good measure to avoid what happens in many other countries, where the church publicly claims a headcount that does not accurately describe the facts.

This way, if you are truly a catholic you will have no objection to pay this tax. And if you are not you surely won't want your money in their pockets.

So, the church can lie all they want about the number of believers, the true believers are well known, you'd have to be an idiot otherwise... I think this is the exact same in Germany.