Books for TD’s

General discussions

Which Book should we send? If you have another suggestion don’t vote. Ask for it to be added to the list.

The God Delusion
59%
Letter to a Christian Nation
6%
Breaking the Spell
No votes
God Is Not Great
6%
Atheism: A Very Short Introduction
29%

Total votes: 17
bipedalhumanoid

Books for TD’s

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:56 am

IrishKnight wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:Easons at Liffey Valley have a huge pile of god delusion books selling at 2 for €22.
Why don't we become the Atheist Gideon Society? Placing a copy of The God Delusion in every hotel room :P
On Richard Dawkins' web site someone set up an initiative for 645 people to send a copy of the god delusion to their local MP. Every MP in the UK receives a copy under that scheme. What if we were to do something like that?

All we need to do is manage who is sending the books to whom to prevent double ups.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:32 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote: On Richard Dawkins' web site someone set up an initiative for 645 people to send a copy of the god delusion to their local MP. Every MP in the UK receives a copy under that scheme. What if we were to do something like that?

All we need to do is manage who is sending the books to whom to prevent double ups.
bipedalhumanoid,
We could organize something like that from right here
I can set up a donation panel where members can contribute specifically to the “book appeal” I would then buy the required books in bulk from Amazon and have them delivered to anyone who would like to volunteer in respect to packing and postage.

I could set up a section of the site (like the quotes section) where members could enter the names and addresses of TD’s, this way we could build up our mailing list. Sitting beside me for starters is a campaign leaflet from Damien English with his constituency office address on it.

We would need to decide which book to send and get some more input from everyone.
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:38 pm

Letter to a Christian Nation would maybe be a better choice than The God delusion, it's small (A5) it's short (90 pages) but hits the target and it will be less expensive than TGD, both to purchase and to mail.
Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:43 pm

I've got six copies of the God Delusion that I already bought and the envolopes to put them in. The only thing holding me up is a cover letter and the six euro per book postage. Anybody...
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:53 pm

FXR wrote:I've got six copies of the God Delusion that I already bought and the envolopes to put them in. The only thing holding me up is a cover letter and the six euro per book postage. Anybody...
Wow six euro postage per book. Letter to a Christian Nation costs £6.00 sterling on Amazon
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:47 pm

CatHerder wrote:We could organize something like that from right here
I can set up a donation panel where members can contribute specifically to the “book appeal” I would then buy the required books in bulk from Amazon and have them delivered to anyone who would like to volunteer in respect to packing and postage....

We would need to decide which book to send and get some more input from everyone.
Could we not get Amazon to deliver them? Just type in the delivery address of the relevant TD on the Amazon web site. Tick the "gift" box and you can even put in a 240 character message.

Gift wrapping might be going a bit too far.

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:00 pm

CitizenPaine wrote:
Could we not get Amazon to deliver them? Just type in the delivery address of the relevant TD on the Amazon web site. Tick the "gift" box and you can even put in a 240 character message.

Gift wrapping might be going a bit too far.

CitizenPaine
Now we're talkin :)
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:07 pm

Neesik wrote:Letter to a Christian Nation would maybe be a better choice than The God delusion, it's small (A5) it's short (90 pages) but hits the target and it will be less expensive than TGD, both to purchase and to mail.
My concern with letter to a christian nation is that it is aimed at an american audience and talks mainly about fundemental christianity and the way liberal christianity arms fundamental christianity. I don't think it is particularly relevant to Ireland.

I'd be more than happy to contribute to a fund to send the books but if individual people could send the books it would have more effect. 166 people signing a petition on steriods equals 166 people writing a letter. 166 people writing a letter on steroids is 166 people spending money to send a book and attaching a letter.

I will participate no matter how this turns out. That is my two cents though.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:36 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Neesik wrote:Letter to a Christian Nation would maybe be a better choice than The God delusion, it's small (A5) it's short (90 pages) but hits the target and it will be less expensive than TGD, both to purchase and to mail.
My concern with letter to a christian nation is that it is aimed at an american audience and talks mainly about fundemental christianity and the way liberal christianity arms fundamental christianity. I don't think it is particularly relevant to Ireland.

I'd be more than happy to contribute to a fund to send the books but if individual people could send the books it would have more effect. 166 people signing a petition on steriods equals 166 people writing a letter. 166 people writing a letter on steroids is 166 people spending money to send a book and attaching a letter.

I will participate no matter how this turns out. That is my two cents though.
Look here for how J Christie went about it in the UK. It's a very calculated move and I think we should do it the same way.

http://richarddawkins.net/article,565,S ... dgeBankcom
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:58 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote: My concern with letter to a christian nation is that it is aimed at an american audience and talks mainly about fundemental christianity and the way liberal christianity arms fundamental christianity. I don't think it is particularly relevant to Ireland.
I haven’t read Letter to a Christian Nation but I was thinking something similar.
Another point is that seen as how successful The God Delusion has been a lot of TD's may already have it, or have formed an opinion on it.