Books for TD’s

General discussions

Which Book should we send? If you have another suggestion don’t vote. Ask for it to be added to the list.

The God Delusion
59%
Letter to a Christian Nation
6%
Breaking the Spell
No votes
God Is Not Great
6%
Atheism: A Very Short Introduction
29%

Total votes: 17
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:00 pm

CatHerder wrote:
FXR wrote:I've got six copies of the God Delusion that I already bought and the envolopes to put them in. The only thing holding me up is a cover letter and the six euro per book postage. Anybody...
Wow six euro postage per book. Letter to a Christian Nation costs £6.00 sterling on Amazon
The god Delusion costs €22 for 2 copies at Easons.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:04 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
CatHerder wrote:
FXR wrote:I've got six copies of the God Delusion that I already bought and the envolopes to put them in. The only thing holding me up is a cover letter and the six euro per book postage. Anybody...
Wow six euro postage per book. Letter to a Christian Nation costs £6.00 sterling on Amazon
I can't remember how much I paid. I bought them in Read's in January. I just found another one so I've got seven. I might just hand them out when the vote beggars come knocking. I'll have to wear a fuckin' balaclava though or I might never work again in this town.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:22 am

FXR wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
CatHerder wrote: Wow six euro postage per book. Letter to a Christian Nation costs £6.00 sterling on Amazon
I can't remember how much I paid. I bought them in Read's in January. I just found another one so I've got seven. I might just hand them out when the vote beggars come knocking. I'll have to wear a fuckin' balaclava though or I might never work again in this town.
theres a 166 tds? right thats 166 x what? on average 10e the project will cost €1,660

the english completed their project a why ago ? did they get any response? did the american post them to all their reps
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:37 am

lostexpectation wrote:
theres a 166 tds? right thats 166 x what? on average 10e the project will cost €1,660

the english completed their project a why ago ? did they get any response? did the american post them to all their reps
Lets start with my seven. Fuck it I'll pay the postage.

Next problem is the cover letter.

I know if I write it will sound like instructions for a neandertal on how to read a book given the idiots who run the country.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
alfonso
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by alfonso » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:13 pm

You send it to the TDs or to those who run the country? Not the same people :P
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:01 pm

alfonso wrote:You send it to the TDs or to those who run the country? Not the same people :P
Are you suggesting we send books to the bishops?
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:38 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
alfonso wrote:You send it to the TDs or to those who run the country? Not the same people :P
to the country bumpkin developers etc
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:13 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
to the country bumpkin developers etc
Yeah, the country bumpkin cowboy builders (developers :roll: ) - the ones who have effectively usurped the bishops... all "well-educated" christian- brother lads... rip-off Ireland, eh :wink:
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:28 am

Martha wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:..to the country bumpkin developers etc
Yeah, the country bumpkin cowboy builders (developers) - the ones who have effectively usurped the bishops... all "well-educated" christian- brother lads... rip-off Ireland, eh :wink:
Steady on lads - there's more than a little bit of presumption and generalisation here - prejudice even. Among the contributors to this forum there just might be someone who's involved in property development. They might even come from the country and, through no fault of their own, have been educated by the Christian brothers (or De La Salle).

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:53 am

CitizenPaine wrote:
Martha wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:..to the country bumpkin developers etc
Yeah, the country bumpkin cowboy builders (developers) - the ones who have effectively usurped the bishops... all "well-educated" christian- brother lads... rip-off Ireland, eh :wink:
Steady on lads - there's more than a little bit of presumption and generalisation here - prejudice even. Among the contributors to this forum there just might be someone who's involved in property development. They might even come from the country and, through no fault of their own, have been educated by the Christian brothers (or De La Salle).

CitizenPaine
This dublin northside v southside and city v country thing is getting old and it is quite irrational. As an outsider looking in I see some incredible bias in the media in this regards. Radio advertisements that include actors portraying criminals always portray a deep north dublin accent. On the tv show 'no experience required revisited' last night they only verbally stated where the person lived if that person was from Finglas. It's a ridiculous prejudice and it shouldn't be socially acceptable IMO.