Christian Missionaries in Afghanistan

General discussions
munsterdevil

Christian Missionaries in Afghanistan

Post by munsterdevil » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:27 pm

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/Ta ... 79814.html

The above link describes how recently ten foreigners, including two Americans ( I mean we always have to mention it if a Westerner gets murdered out foreign), were murdered by the Taliban for spreading the Word of Christ. Apparently there was outrage in America over this, with some calling Afghans uncivilized and barbaric.

Now I am in no way condoning what happened, it's sad for the victims families and they shouldn't have been murdered in this day and age, but lets turn the tables a little bit.

What would the reaction be like somewhere in America's Bible Belt if ten "Muslim Missionaries" from Afghanistan went knocking door to door and started preaching the word of Allah and Mohammed to the good folk that lived there?

Could you honestly say that all ten missionaries would get out unwounded at best? I would doubt it.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Christian Missionaries in Afghanistan

Post by Bik » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I remember on one of Michael Moores tv shows (might have been TV Nation) where he went around the bible belt with a lorry painted with the USSR flag mural and handed out Marxist literature to people, it didn't end well :lol:

I'd imagine any islamic missionaries would get a similar reception.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:51 pm

"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Bik wrote:or how about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p73pt4adwmk
Brilliant episode Bik, I know a lot of TG is set up, but I think this was real and they were genuinely shitting it when the car wouldn't start!

NASCAR Sucks

Man Love Rules

Hillary for president

Country & Western is Rubbish

I'm calling the boys

Classic :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:20 pm

An oldie but a goodie...

Atheist door knocking in Utah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58wgn-9Y3c
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Ephesians2:8/9

Post by Ephesians2:8/9 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:05 am

Please take a look at this video of ex-Muslim Kamal Sameel in the Bible-Belt munsterdevil.

opps! Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gccio1vE41M
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:42 am

Ephesians2:8/9 wrote:Please take a look at this video of ex-Muslim Kamal Sameel in the Bible-Belt munsterdevil.

opps! Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gccio1vE41M
And?
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:30 am

Ephesians2:8/9, the verses your user name refer to are perfect to illustrate why your 'mission' to evangelise us atheist is doomed to fail. This is the second post I've read from you in so many minutes, and the second YT link you have supplied. And for neither one have you even attempted to make a point.
Paul (aka Saul) or depending on who you listen to, God (apparently) wrote:For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. - Ephesians 2:8,9
"In Paul ... grace is never merely an attitude or disposition of God (God's character as gracious); consistently it denotes something much more dynamic—the wholly generous act of God." - James D.G. Dunn

So, grace is an act of God. And using grace God saves us using faith, but not our own. Which to me reads as if God is the one who makes people believe or not. Have faith or not. And this is a gift. So in your world view, if I don't have faith, that should mean that God hasn't given me this gift. Yet here you are, in some kind of attempt to do what God has chosen not to do.
Ah, you might say, but I'm doing God's work. If that were the case I'd say that smacks of works. Which your username tells us is a no-no. Your attempt to save me would be contradictory. I'd also tend to believe that if God were using you, he'd give you something more persuasive than links to YouTube videos.

We here are not Papua New Guinean natives wowed by airplanes and missionaries with laptops. We will not suddenly change tack when a God dropper like yourself bible bombs us. We do not believe your tales because we question things. Your 'inspirational' links will be met only with questions. Questions the bible cannot answer.

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" - Hebrews 11:1

This is where the line in the sand is drawn between believers and sane people. Ephesians tells us that faith is the gift of belief that God gives (some of) us. But Hebrews here says, very plainly, that faith is nothing more than the stuff of dreams. Believers hope God exists, and hope is all they can do, because the 'evidence' is invisible.

You'll never find an atheist who will accept such evidence, but best of luck trying!
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
Jerry

Post by Jerry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:22 am

munsterdevil wrote:http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/Ta ... 79814.html

The above link describes how recently ten foreigners, including two Americans ( I mean we always have to mention it if a Westerner gets murdered out foreign), were murdered by the Taliban for spreading the Word of Christ. Apparently there was outrage in America over this, with some calling Afghans uncivilized and barbaric.

Now I am in no way condoning what happened, it's sad for the victims families and they shouldn't have been murdered in this day and age, but lets turn the tables a little bit.

What would the reaction be like somewhere in America's Bible Belt if ten "Muslim Missionaries" from Afghanistan went knocking door to door and started preaching the word of Allah and Mohammed to the good folk that lived there?

Could you honestly say that all ten missionaries would get out unwounded at best? I would doubt it.
In America we have a political demon called the A.C.L.U..

While Muslims in America are generally treated with respect everywhere, including the bible-belt, you can bet that if anyone so much as used a racial slur against a Muslim that the A.C.L.U. would sue not only the slanderer, but the homeowner, the city the property is in, haze the person's employer, and make rounds on the late-night talk shows, sensationalizing the incident to the point of nausea.

However, if the sort of radical Islamist who beheads American civilians ventured into the bible-belt, it's fair to guess they would mysteriously disappear.
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."
~~Thomas Jefferson
Ephesians2:8/9

Post by Ephesians2:8/9 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:08 am

DaithiDublin wrote:Ephesians2:8/9, the verses your user name refer to are perfect to illustrate why your 'mission' to evangelise us atheist is doomed to fail. This is the second post I've read from you in so many minutes, and the second YT link you have supplied. And for neither one have you even attempted to make a point.
My point is that Muslim missionaries from Afghanistan would not be harmed by true born-again Christians if they were to go into the bible belt spreading the "good news" of Islam. Any Christian who's truly born again would see this as a wonderful opportunity to discuss their faith with these Muslims. If a so-called "Christian" were to hurt these people such an act would merely show that they were not Christians in the true sense of the word. The bible says that you will know them by their fruit.

The video shows the beautiful fruit of those who truly possess Christian love and don't merely profess it like so many do sadly. Not every one who professes possesses!