Christian Missionaries in Afghanistan

General discussions
funkyderek

Re: Christian Missionaries in Afghanistan

Post by funkyderek » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 am

Ephesians2:8/9 wrote:My point is that Muslim missionaries from Afghanistan would not be harmed by true born-again Christians if they were to go into the bible belt spreading the "good news" of Islam. Any Christian who's truly born again would see this as a wonderful opportunity to discuss their faith with these Muslims. If a so-called "Christian" were to hurt these people such an act would merely show that they were not Christians in the true sense of the word. The bible says that you will know them by their fruit.

The video shows the beautiful fruit of those who truly possess Christian love and don't merely profess it like so many do sadly. Not every one who professes possesses!
Well, that's convenient. We can tell Christians have the truth because of the way they behave. If Christians behave differently, then they are not true Christians. So, some Christians behave well and that proves something about Christianity. Some Christians behave badly but that proves nothing about Christianity. When it comes to Islam, the exact opposite criteria are used.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Ephesians2:8/9

Post by Ephesians2:8/9 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:41 am

munsterdevil wrote:
Could you honestly say that all ten missionaries would get out unwounded at best? I would doubt it.
That's an amazing claim to say the least. Have you ever met Christians like the ones who helped Kamal in the video? There are all kinds of people living in the bible belt so who do you think might wound the ten missionaries from Afghanistan? Do you honestly think that Christians i.e. people who have repented of their sins and placed their trust in Jesus Christ for salvation would hurt Muslim missionaries? I wish 10 Muslim missionaries would come to my door: what an awesome opportunity that would be to share my faith with them.
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:49 pm

Ephesians2:8/9 wrote:Any Christian who's truly born again would see this as a wonderful opportunity to discuss their faith with these Muslims. If a so-called "Christian" were to hurt these people such an act would merely show that they were not Christians in the true sense of the word.
This is an example of the No True Scotsman fallacy. You've warped the definition of Christian so that if they do harm then they aren't Christian - nowhere in the definition of Christian does it say that they can do only good.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
Ephesians2:8/9

Post by Ephesians2:8/9 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:07 pm

HylandPaddy wrote:You've warped the definition of Christian so that if they do harm then they aren't Christian - nowhere in the definition of Christian does it say that they can do only good.
Did I say or imply that Christians can do only good? I only said that a true Christian wouldn't hurt Muslim Missionaries from Afghanistan or any where for that matter regardless of where he/she might encounter them.

You're right: nowhere does it say that Christians can do only good. In fact the bible teaches that "there is none that does good, no not one" and that includes Christians.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:40 pm

We don't need to wonder what would happen to foreign Muslim missionaries to see that this kind of violence happens in the United States (and other Western Countries) every year.

Let's use hate-crime statistics (from the Federal Bureau of Investigation; I used Wikipedia as a short cut) as an example.

In 2008, there were over 9,000 hate crimes in the United States (obviously this "only" includes crimes which were reported and are known to be hate crimes.)

1732 of these were religiously-motivated. 1706 were hate crimes due to sexual orientation (and I'm going to take a guess that the perpetrators were religious and committed these crimes because of their religious convictions.) (Also, 4934 were racial and 1226 were motivated by ethnic origin.)

Again, in 2008 alone, the crimes classified as hate-crimes, that is known to motivated by racial, religious, or homophobic prejudice included 7 murders, 11 rapes, 145 robberies, 224 cases of larceny theft, and 26 of motor-vehicle theft. Now, that might not sound like a lot, but this is one average year in the United States. And many of the victims of these crimes are American, they're just not white, Christian heterosexual men.

Oh, I forgot to mention the 1,025 cases of (prejudice-motivated) aggravated assault.

Overall, of the over 113,000 hate crimes since 1991, 55% were motivated by racial bias, 17% by religious bias, 14% sexual orientation bias, 14% ethnicity bias, and 1% disability bias.

(Do the math. That's 19,210 hate-crimes motivated by religious bias since 1991; and the source is dated 2009, so it's over the course of 18 years.)

I think we all know what would happen to Muslim Missionaries in the Bible Belt.
oldrnwisr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by oldrnwisr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:50 pm

aiseiri47 wrote:I think we all know what would happen to Muslim Missionaries in the Bible Belt.
Yeah, I think something like this at the very least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jG0D2nRGrQ
"Science doesn't know everything. Religion doesn't know anything." AronRa - WAC 2011
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Ah, yes. I saw that episode. It was actually kind of terrifying; don't think they knew what they were getting themselves into.
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Ephesians2:8/9 wrote:I only said that a true Christian wouldn't hurt Muslim Missionaries from Afghanistan or any where for that matter regardless of where he/she might encounter them.
But hurting/not hurting Muslim Missionaries has nothing to do with Christianity. If someone believes in all the dogmas of Christianity and then attacks a Muslim Missionary then they are still Christian. The notion of a "true" Christian is false.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan