100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 15
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:12 pm

tony wrote: It just goes to show how blind people can be when they make statements like this. Of course he will be backed up by the majority. Primary school children are the most impressionable and thats when the Church gets at their minds. Complete abuse. Nationally accepted but not recognised as abuse. As long as the church controls primary schools they will ensure their own survival.
Ray D'Arcy deserves respect for speaking his mind but my concern is far more with Gareth O'Callaghan's comments: Loaded down with hypocrisy, as tony has highlighted above. Also a total negation of freedom of expression and thought. And patronising in the extreme ("Maybe its not trendy etc")

Just what we've come to expect from the God Botherers.

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
Martha

Post by Martha » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:28 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
I’ll have to start listening to today fm. I’m getting tired of the constant religious connotations on Newstalk!
And if you really want to be entertained, check out RTE... and their endless supply of "terrifyng" adverts: there's no end to them these days. They're the modern-day version of the Hellfire & Brimstone sermons from the pulpit, if you ask me. You know those Eircom ads for house alarms and shit like that. Daft!
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:39 pm

tony wrote: O'Callaghan said: "Maybe it's not trendy today to believe in a God in some shape or form. He said recently on his radio show that he didn't believe in God.
Well done to Ray Darcy. He might start raising awareness. He chips away all the time on the radio. At least he has balls. O'Callaghan is a complete langer.

With all due respect I hope you sent Ray a message of support. I think its important to let him know and even more important he has evidence of support when his boss calls him in to tell him to tone it down.

Can anybody find an email address for this tosser O'Callaghan? I've searched but nothing came up.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:07 am

FXR wrote:
With all due respect I hope you sent Ray a message of support. I think its important to let him know and even more important he has evidence of support when his boss calls him in to tell him to tone it down.
I'm going to contact anyone I know who might care and ask them to send an email. I hope everyone here does too.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:04 pm

By STEPHEN MAGUIRE
GARETH O'Callaghan has started a holy war with Ray D'Arcy because the Today FM host has revealed he doesn't believe in God.
The ex-2 FM star said D'Arcy should keep his personal beliefs to himself when broadcasting.

D'Arcy recently told listeners that he belonged to a section of society in Ireland that had no religion.
O'Callaghan said: "Maybe it's not trendy today to believe in a God in some shape or form. He said recently on his radio show that he didn't believe in God.
"That's fine by me but he should keep his beliefs - or 'non- beliefs' - to himself, particularly when he's dancing barefoot on a subject that still forms the cultural tapestry of who we are."
O'Callaghan said much of D'Arcy's audience was made up of impressionable young people.
He fumed: "For a broadcaster to come out with such a loose- cannon statement is nothing less than a blatant abuse of his privileges, demonstrating a level of immaturity and recklessness that makes alarm bells ring.
"Ray D'Arcy is no Gay Byrne nor will he ever be."

(c) 2007 Sunday Mirror; London. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.

The cultural tapestry of who we are? How much of that tapestry is made of two faced hypocricy, child abuse, and lies.

Whereabouts on the tapestry would Industrial Schools, Magdelene, Laundries, Sadistic Christian Brothers, Padeopile Priests, Two faced lying Cardinals, Papal cover ups, Church sponsored Nazi war criminalls, political collusion, Crawthumpers, Deluded Zealots and Tax fraud happen to be located?

I'd like to know so I can dance them into oblivion!
Last edited by FXR on Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:26 pm

FXR wrote:
The cultural tapestry of who we are? How much of that tapestry is made of two faced hypocricy, child abuse, and lies.

Whereabouts on the tapestry would Industrial Schools, Magdelene, Laundries, Sadistic Christian Brothers, Padeopile Priests, Two faced lying Cardinals, Papal cover ups and Tax fraud happen to be located.

I'd like to know so I can dance them into oblivion!
You're right to be angry at those fuckers. But, you know, its a sad fact of the Irish (as Tony points out) that they don't recognise the abuse of power by the Catholic Church (and our RC politicians) for what it is. We are indeed a traumatised nation.

And btw, FXR, I've emailed Ray D'Arcy in support, OK.

Woody Allen
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:14 pm

I wonder if Gareth O Callaghan would be quite so vociferous in his condemnation of Ray Darcy if Darcy were voicing his opinion on any other subject but religion? I seriously fucking doubt it.

This shit so typical of the hidden agenda of self-censorship inherent in our society. Do the godsquad, that are so profoundly ensconced in our national media, feel so threatened when a radio presenter breakes ranks and voices his honest opinion? He cannot voice his atheism on the airways for fear of offending the presumed public approval of religion, but he could, quite happily, if he wanted to, pollute the airways with praise of God. Such outright hypocrisy!

There is, of course, another angle to this which needs to be addressed. It refers to our own (atheists), sometimes blinkered and skewed vision. We frequently moan about the daily use of the National Media as a means of propagating religion and we call for the religious programming to be taken off air. Yet, we have no apparent difficulty in condoning an atheist who uses the airways to voice their personel opinions but we condemn religious broadcasters who exploit the airways to forward their opinions.

You can't have it both ways, can you?
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:53 pm

zhollie wrote: .... pollute the airways with praise of God.

To say nothing of the hypocrisy and lies (yes, actual LIES) that our corrupt politicians spew out on the airwaves on a daily basis!
zhollie wrote:Yet, we have no apparent difficulty in condoning an atheist who uses the airways to voice their personel opinions but we condemn religious broadcasters who exploit the airways to forward their opinions.
Its not about getting religion off the airwaves. That's not going to happen, if anything, that's going to increase. Its all about getting a more balanced media, but that's not going to happen either, as Ireland is now firmly in the grip of the (mostly american) multinationals and you know how they love to peddle their christian views :roll:

Woody Allen
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:44 pm

zhollie wrote:There is, of course, another angle to this which needs to be addressed. ... We frequently moan about the daily use of the National Media as a means of propagating religion and we call for the religious programming to be taken off air. Yet, we have no apparent difficulty in condoning an atheist who uses the airways to voice their personel opinions but we condemn religious broadcasters who exploit the airways to forward their opinions.

You can't have it both ways, can you?
Double standard situations are to be avoided at all costs. However, there's a difference between voicing an opinion on the one hand, and promoting or facilitating something, on the other. I, personally, would have no difficulty with any broadcaster saying he or she believed in God. That's an opinion. Giving free air time to the angelus, masses, sermons and similar items that would be characterised, even by the Catholic Church, as propaganda (the propagation of the faith, for which they have a special society) is wrong. It would also be wrong if athiests were given free air time to try to persuade the public to their way of thinking (which I would be horrified by for other reasons as well).

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:56 pm

did anyone hear what and _how_ he said it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055082571