De-Baptism

General discussions
greenwitch

Post by greenwitch » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:02 pm

I received a letter this morning from the diocesan office informing me that:
`an annotation will be entered in the register of baptism to the effect that your defection from the catholic church has been given recognition`.

They say that when the baptism register has been amended that they will send me a copy of the baptismal cert which;
`carries a notation of your formal cessation from chuch membership`.

I haven`t been asked to fill in any forms or meet anyone, I just sent one email stating my wish to have the baptism record changed.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:01 am

greenwitch wrote:I received a letter this morning from the diocesan office informing me that:
`an annotation will be entered in the register of baptism to the effect that your defection from the catholic church has been given recognition`.

They say that when the baptism register has been amended that they will send me a copy of the baptismal cert which;
`carries a notation of your formal cessation from chuch membership`.

I haven`t been asked to fill in any forms or meet anyone, I just sent one email stating my wish to have the baptism record changed.
You know I did that about 4 years ago and exactly the same thing happened no form or any thing. I even phoned up the pp to see if he had done it. He said yes but he spoke to quickly so I’m not sure that I believe him. Then after browsing this forum I found out that there was a form to fill out – So I asked for that form and filled it out - just to be sure, (I most definitely do not want to be identified as a catholic). I phoned up the Parish Priest yesterday but he’s on holidays so I’ll call again on Monday and ask for a photocopy or scan or photo of the amendment.
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:24 am

mkaobrih wrote:
Small steps – first denounce Catholicism – then aim for Christianity.
:lol: I like it :lol:

mkaobrih wrote: Anyway here in Ireland the only religion is catholic so removing yourself from that is the big one.
Once I was afraid, I was petrified! How does that ol 7o's pop song go? I will survive!! :wink:
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:06 am

Martha wrote:Once I was afraid, I was petrified! How does that ol 7o's pop song go? I will survive!! :wink:

Especially for you Martha, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onLbeuEqNIE
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:32 pm

I was reading some blogs reactions to the spainish story... some catholic ones here...

http://www.catholicblogs.com/search/manuel

most seem to having a bigger reaction to the idea that a historical record be destroyed then the idea of the man leaving the church, so maybe the irish data protections judgement of annotation is better.
This makes no sense whatsoever. I suppose that people who commit suicide should have their birth certificates destroyed, since they clearly objected to the fact that they exist.
although some have duplicitus and scary ideas http://totuspius.blogspot.com/2007/10/church-state.html
I think that the Church should obey the law of the land, erase the record of the person concerned and make a record of the fact (sperate register) that it had removed from the register the baptismal record of x who was baptized according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church on such and such a day, etc. It will serve to obey the law of the land and maintain a record of the fact. The person concerned need never know as the record of deletion can be kept in the secret archives of the diocese.

this guy thinks it shows how religious freedom is under attack? huh? its the exact opposite that is occurring

http://regularthoughts.blogspot.com/200 ... uture.html

you think religious freedom is under attack because of this, in fact the exact opposite is occurring here, this ruling increases people freedom to be religious or not.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:14 pm

I wrote to the parish priest last week and asked for my cert or a copy of it, and he sent it back to me. It arrived today. I’ll send a scan to CatHerder later as I can’t do it now as the husband is not at work today and so he is playing a mod of medieval total war (on the main pc) all day. :!:
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:34 am

Formal Defection

16/10/2007 8) veritas
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:04 am

congratulations well done!
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:28 pm

lostexpectation wrote:congratulations well done!
I second that! I'm heading back to Australia for a holiday in June. I fully intend to do the same. I can't do it from here because I didn't bring my baptismal cert with me (didn't seem important for some reason).
tony

Post by tony » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:31 pm

See this document on ACTUS FORMALIS DEFECTIONIS
AB ECCLESIA CATHOLICA. http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/ponti ... is_en.html

Extract
7. It remains clear, in any event, that the sacramental bond of belonging to the Body of Christ that is the Church, conferred by the baptismal character, is an ontological and permanent bond which is not lost by reason of any act or fact of defection.

There is no escape.