De-Baptism

General discussions
Martha

Post by Martha » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:41 pm

zhollie wrote:The only way a de-baptism would be of any use would be if it were performed in a very humourous and public manner and with the intent of ridiculing the church and it's beliefs, otherwise it would appear more like an exorcism.
What a great idea! I think I'll go off now and write up a little play on "De-Baptism" to be perfomed in the centre of Dublin (Stephens Green would be a good venue) on a nice summer's day... that is, if it ever stops raining!
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:45 pm

Martha wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
That's exactly why they have to inflate their numbers BY COUNTING ME!
Look, they are DELUDED! They've always been (and always will be) deluded. So why are you taking them so seriously????
Because governments and people who make important decisions DO take them seriously. People who make decisions about what I can and can't do take them seriously. I am a part of Ireland's fastest growing family unit (co-habiting couples) and am currently being screwed over by taxation legislation that favours married couples and religious organisations. That's one of many reasons.

Why is it that any time anyone wants actually DO something, and that doesn't include sitting around and talking about how evil the catholic church is, you're out in force vehermently opposing them? Are you a closet Catholic? Are you on their payroll perhaps?
Martha

Post by Martha » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:12 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Because governments and people who make important decisions DO take them seriously. People who make decisions about what I can and can't do take them seriously. I am a part of Ireland's fastest growing family unit (co-habiting couples) and am currently being screwed over by taxation legislation that favours married couples and religious organisations. That's one of many reasons.
I totally agree that the tax laws in this country are in need of serious reform (btw, the wealthy elite don't pay any taxes at all!). But its up to the people to pressure the government for fairer laws. Unfortunately, the Irish majority are a very passive/apathetic lot, which is why the government can get away with their unfair tax laws, for example. I sympathise with your situation.
bipedalhumanoid wrote:Why is it that any time anyone wants actually DO something, and that doesn't include sitting around and talking about how evil the catholic church is, you're out in force vehermently opposing them? Are you a closet Catholic? Are you on their payroll perhaps?
I can assure you I'm very active in fighting my corner against the normalised injustices of this Catholic State of ours! Me on the payroll of the Catholic Church :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look, if you think filling out that de-baptisimal form is an effective militant act against the Catholic Church, then go ahead and do it. All I'm saying is, I don't think it is. And btw, one mustn't forget that the State is still in cahoots with the Catholic Church - as is the norm with all corrupt governments! Just look at the way the State conducted the Redress Board for the victims of the Industrial Schools - and that's only one example!

Our objections to the many unfair rules and regulations (most of which are unwritten) are political. I could give you a list the length of my arm about all the times I've demanded the State respect my human rights - with varying degrees of success - but only because I stood my ground!

Woody Allen
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:35 pm

Martha wrote:
Look, if you think filling out that de-baptisimal form is an effective militant act against the Catholic Church, then go ahead and do it.
What I was arguing for was a campaign of excommunication en-mass.
Martha

Post by Martha » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:42 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
By doing that, we would be feeding into their (Catholic Church) notion that they think they really can control ALL of the peopleImage

Woody Allen
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Martha wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
By doing that, we would be feeding into their (Catholic Church) notion that they think they really can control ALL of the peopleImage
I've already responded to these concerns I'm not taking this debate back to the start of the circle.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:10 am

anyone loking for an english actus defectionis try
http://www.freedomparty.org.au/ACTUS%20 ... TIONIS.htm
looks simple enough.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Martha wrote:
zhollie wrote:The only way a de-baptism would be of any use would be if it were performed in a very humourous and public manner and with the intent of ridiculing the church and it's beliefs, otherwise it would appear more like an exorcism.
What a great idea! I think I'll go off now and write up a little play on "De-Baptism" to be perfomed in the centre of Dublin (Stephens Green would be a good venue) on a nice summer's day... that is, if it ever stops raining!
jump in he lake and then symbolically dry yourself down with towel emancipating yourself from the church
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:44 am

The important point is to get 'de-listed' as opposed to 'de-baptised'. I think we would have more political sway (and the CC would have less) if the official numbers were more accurate. It doesn't really matter how you go about it. I'm not sure that putting Atheist on the census form is enough. I'd like to be scrubbed from the Church records as well, and I suppose the 2-finger salute to them that comes as a by-product of this action would be a nice bonus.

I don't agree that asking to be removed from their official figures makes me complicit in their fantasy. It removes from them the power to use my number to swell their figures artificially. Don't let them have that. Don't give them an inch.
randomcrisis
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by randomcrisis » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:10 am

Hi all

I believe there is a way out. You can invoke the Data Protection Act to your place of baptism as having an error regarding your religion. You must put it in writing to the keeper of records or data protection officer of the church explaining that you never wished to be whatever religion you are and explaining that in accordance with the DPA, that any records of information contained are not correct and accurate then you can ask for them to be removed and the correction made.

I have done this via the UK system as I was baptised in the UK and so far so good.

I have adopted the above from these guys
http://www.uaar.it/