De-Baptism

General discussions
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:28 am

greenwitch wrote:They both know my feelings and wishes but what worries me is that if I was to have an accident tomorrow older members of the family would try to overrule my wishes. My mother already told me she would donate my organs even though I`ve told her I`m totally against it and with her being very religious if I went first I need `something extra` to stop the funeral mass and the rosary etc.
I agree totally – I too do not want a Christian funeral and I do not want to donate my organs (did you hear about the Australian medical students that were using cadavers for blow jobs). I really hope my Mam dies before I do. She’d fucking overrule any requests that I’d left for my treatment when dead.
tony

Post by tony » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:41 pm

Just want to clarify this. I realise you cant get married in a Catholic church if you are an atheist and dont convert or give consent to have your children brought up catholic but what about burial? If your family paid for and owns a graveyard plot can the church refuse for you to be buried with the rest of your family in that plot if you are an atheist??
divil_a_bit

Post by divil_a_bit » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:50 pm

tony wrote:Just want to clarify this. I realise you cant get married in a Catholic church if you are an atheist and dont convert or give consent to have your children brought up catholic
I got married in the catholic church as an atheist and I did not promise to raise my kids catholic.

As for burial - I've decided to donate my body to science. My family know how much I hate religious ceremonies and I don't want one when I die. I hope they respect my wishes.
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:09 pm

mkaobrih wrote:
greenwitch wrote:They both know my feelings and wishes but what worries me is that if I was to have an accident tomorrow older members of the family would try to overrule my wishes. My mother already told me she would donate my organs even though I`ve told her I`m totally against it and with her being very religious if I went first I need `something extra` to stop the funeral mass and the rosary etc.
I agree totally – I too do not want a Christian funeral and I do not want to donate my organs (did you hear about the Australian medical students that were using cadavers for blow jobs). .

What on earth is this about Aussie medical students?
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:23 pm

zhollie wrote:What on earth is this about Aussie medical students?
I originally read this on bbc news - but i cant find the link now - if you google it you get a fox news link (which I'm not putting up).

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/ ... 55259.html
zhollie

Post by zhollie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:52 pm

mkaobrih wrote:
zhollie wrote:What on earth is this about Aussie medical students?
I originally read this on bbc news - but i cant find the link now - if you google it you get a fox news link (which I'm not putting up).

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/ ... 55259.html

That is genuinely weird and not a little disturbing. Not disturbing in that they were violating a dead body but that they could denigrate themselves and their profession in such a distasteful manner. Mock necrophilia or the real deal?
tony

Post by tony » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:53 pm

tony wrote:If your family paid for and owns a graveyard plot can the church refuse for you to be buried with the rest of your family in that plot if you are an atheist??
divil_a_bit wrote: As for burial - I've decided to donate my body to science. My family know how much I hate religious ceremonies and I don't want one when I die. I hope they respect my wishes.
Do you know can the church refuse to allow an atheist be burried in a Catholic graveyard even if you own the plot???
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:30 pm

tony wrote:
tony wrote:If your family paid for and owns a graveyard plot can the church refuse for you to be buried with the rest of your family in that plot if you are an atheist??
divil_a_bit wrote: As for burial - I've decided to donate my body to science. My family know how much I hate religious ceremonies and I don't want one when I die. I hope they respect my wishes.
Do you know can the church refuse to allow an atheist be burried in a Catholic graveyard even if you own the plot???
My solicitor advised me I should hand everyone involved a letter detailing my wished. Doing so does'nt exactly make for a bag of laughs.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
tony

Post by tony » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:17 pm

divil_a_bit wrote: I got married in the catholic church as an atheist and I did not promise to raise my kids catholic.
At every marriage ceremony I have been at over the last few years the couple has been asked to promise to raise their children Catholic. I just started taking notice of what the priests were actually saying over the last few years.

As for the burial issue am I right saying that if your athiest you connot be buried in a Catholic graveyard with your family even if your family own a plot?Can the Catholic church deny you the right to be burried with your family in your own plot?? That is what i gather from the declaration of defection they are getting people to sign. I wouldnt sign that rag. I would dictate my own terms. If that plot is our property and my family is burried there the Church should have no say as to who is burried there.
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:27 pm

tony wrote:
divil_a_bit wrote: I got married in the catholic church as an atheist and I did not promise to raise my kids catholic.
At every marriage ceremony I have been at over the last few years the couple has been asked to promise to raise their children Catholic. I just started taking notice of what the priests were actually saying over the last few years.

As for the burial issue am I right saying that if your athiest you connot be buried in a Catholic graveyard with your family even if your family own a plot?Can the Catholic church deny you the right to be burried with your family in your own plot?? That is what i gather from the declaration of defection they are getting people to sign. I wouldnt sign that rag. I would dictate my own terms. If that plot is our property and my family is burried there the Church should have no say as to who is burried there.
I think you're right. Screw them and their forms. I think an order to cease and desist from including one involuntarily in an organisation associated with child rape, torture and fraudlent practics would be more appropriate.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.