De-Baptism

General discussions
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:18 am

tony wrote: As for the burial issue am I right saying that if your athiest you connot be buried in a Catholic graveyard with your family even if your family own a plot?Can the Catholic church deny you the right to be burried with your family in your own plot?? That is what i gather from the declaration of defection they are getting people to sign. I wouldnt sign that rag. I would dictate my own terms. If that plot is our property and my family is burried there the Church should have no say as to who is burried there.
I vaguely remember trouble with the upkeep of my Dad’ grave. The church had a lot to say about the maintenance of said plot. No boarders were allowed so as to enable easy upkeep of the graveyard. So I’m not sure if you really “own the plot” so too speak – the church facilities manager might have a lot to say with your land. (By the way I don’t want to be buried with my religious relations not even my husband I’d rather be compressed into a diamond or in an urn).
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:27 am

Yes I don't see the concern over being buried in a family plot. If you are allowed burial in a Catholic graveyard, you wont be allowed to write a cool epitaph.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:36 am

divil_a_bit wrote:
tony wrote:Just want to clarify this. I realise you cant get married in a Catholic church if you are an atheist and dont convert or give consent to have your children brought up catholic
I got married in the catholic church as an atheist and I did not promise to raise my kids catholic.
yeah but hadn't officially denounced your faith, I wonder if they check for weddings or for funerals.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:49 am

so im writing a how to leave the catholic church howto guide blog post, ( cribbing fro the various sources here and at gcn) just trying to spread the good word you know)

I want to get something right...

do you have to write to the archbishop of all ireland or just your own bishop?
do ya think?

eta ah rereading the GCN thread I see local bishop will do, will get those addresses
http://www.gcn.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=2133
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:55 am

divil_a_bit

Post by divil_a_bit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:39 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
divil_a_bit wrote:
tony wrote:Just want to clarify this. I realise you cant get married in a Catholic church if you are an atheist and dont convert or give consent to have your children brought up catholic
I got married in the catholic church as an atheist and I did not promise to raise my kids catholic.
yeah but hadn't officially denounced your faith, I wonder if they check for weddings or for funerals.
I had officially denounced my faith. I told the priest I had so he was aware.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:00 pm

lostexpectation wrote:here it is crit please.
http://dublinstreams.blogspot.com/2007/ ... h-its.html
Was just thinking that maybe we should remove mkaobrihs name from that cover letter before it flies all over the net. What do you think mkaobrih? Just a thought, it's up to you.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:16 pm

CatHerder wrote: Was just thinking that maybe we should remove mkaobrihs name from that cover letter before it flies all over the net. What do you think mkaobrih? Just a thought, it's up to you.
I’m fine with it. Sure me name is up there in the profile anyway, and I know other people with my name. What problems do you envisage?
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:33 pm

mkaobrih wrote:
CatHerder wrote: Was just thinking that maybe we should remove mkaobrihs name from that cover letter before it flies all over the net. What do you think mkaobrih? Just a thought, it's up to you.
I’m fine with it. Sure me name is up there in the profile anyway, and I know other people with my name. What problems do you envisage?
I thought Ms O'shea was nondescript enough, I can white it out of you want?

Ms why do I automatically presume everyone is a man. :oops: the cover letter isn't important it just makes it look more official then just the form letter.

what info did you send them, mkaobrih, did you get a confirmation?

you don't really need to know your god parents name like
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:34 pm

I don't envisage any problems. Hell! Your campaign for Defection might go global. :)