De-Baptism

General discussions
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:35 pm

divil_a_bit wrote: I got married in the catholic church as an atheist and I did not promise to raise my kids catholic.
yeah but hadn't officially denounced your faith, I wonder if they check for weddings or for funerals.[/quote]

I had officially denounced my faith. I told the priest I had so he was aware.[/quote]

del
Last edited by lostexpectation on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:44 pm

You're right lostexpectation, It looks good to have the cover letter as well. Makes it more interesting to see the whole process. Don't mind me I'm over protective but for some reason I don't give a shite about the priests name and signature being up there :twisted:
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:50 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
what info did you send them, mkaobrih, did you get a confirmation?
you don't really need to know your god parents name like
Yep – I don’t think they need your godparent’s names I just filled in the form and got the better half to witness it – I did get a reply – I’ll mail it to CatHerder and he can post it. I don’t think that they are going to do anything as dramatic as post my baptismal cert back with defected stamped over it although I would love that. I’ll properly phone the parish priest soon and ask for written confirmation that he has done the requested deed.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:08 pm

mkaobrih wrote:I did get a reply – I’ll mail it to CatHerder and he can post it.
Reply Letter
mkaobrih wrote:I don’t think that they are going to do anything as dramatic as post my baptismal cert back with defected stamped over it although I would love that.
You could probably send away for your Baptismal Cert and see what they send back, you'd never know.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:13 pm

well i just thought they'd send you back a letter saying... its done

it would be great to get a photo of the baptism records just so we could see what one looks like and annotation they actually make, it'd make alot more real, you could blur out the other names.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:23 pm

lostexpectation wrote:well i just thought they'd send you back a letter saying... its done

it would be great to get a photo of the baptism records just so we could see what one looks like and annotation they actually make, it'd make alot more real, you could blur out the other names.
We could start a hall of fame here for everyone her who gets their official defection. :)
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:28 pm

oh dear it seems after all that you can never escape

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/20 ... ormal.html
Polish bishops' document on formal apostates

The Polish bishops’ conference is preparing a pastoral statement to address apostates, the newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza reports.

A spokesman for the episcopal conference, Father Jozef Kloch, said, “A declaration to leave the Church, if it is made freely and consciously, should be made to the pastor of the parish, to which the person belongs and in which he or she was baptized.”

Apostates-- those who formally break ties with the Church-- may not be buried in a Catholic cemetery, receive the sacraments, or act as official witnesses at Catholic weddings.

They may be married in the Catholic Church, but as non-Catholics.

Father Kloch explained, “It is necessary to emphasize that an apostate does not cease to be Christian.”
scary

hmm this word apostate, the bishop of limerick used that word last week I mentioned in this thread about it being a pejorative word.

http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=898
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:01 am

lostexpectation wrote:oh dear it seems after all that you can never escape
Small steps – first denounce Catholicism – then aim for Christianity.
Anyway here in Ireland the only religion is catholic so removing yourself from that is the big one.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:12 am

mkaobrih wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:oh dear it seems after all that you can never escape
Small steps – first denounce Catholicism – then aim for Christianity.
Anyway here in Ireland the only religion is catholic so removing yourself from that is the big one.
i always been slightly confused about the relationship between catholic and christian.

you say the only religion, do you mean there only the only church...?

what does he mean by “It is necessary to emphasize that an apostate does not cease to be Christian.”

what the pope relation ship to christianity?

in relation to so called roman catholics like me. I'll never be able to reverse being brought up in a roman catholic environment, is that what the bishop means?

seems the same issue re removing versus altering the baptismal records arises in spain too
In Spain, the Catholic church loses battle to prevent a member from leaving the fold
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/10/19/ ... 9spain.php
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:12 am

lostexpectation wrote:i always been slightly confused about the relationship between catholic and christian.
Christianity is the religion purportedly started by a Jew named Jesus Christ, this is known as early Christianity. When it got taken over by the Romans it became Catholicism. A number of the members then seen it for the financial venture that it was, selling indulgences and such, resulting in splinter groups, protestant, Lutheran, Baptist, etc... These groups consider Catholicism to be the antithesis of Christianity but Catholics consider themselves and everyone who follows Christ to be Christian. Christianity itself is a splinter group from Judaism. Also, a lot of Born Again Christians think the pope is the Anti-Christ. Hope this clarifies things a bit. :?

lostexpectation wrote:you say the only religion, do you mean there only the only church...?
No, I think she means that Ireland is predominantly Catholic so there might as well be only one religion.
lostexpectation wrote:what does he mean by “It is necessary to emphasize that an apostate does not cease to be Christian.”
That's just sour grapes on Father Kloch's part. He doesn't like the situeation so he's being a dick about it.

lostexpectation wrote:what the pope relation ship to christianity?
He's a Catholic foremost and a Christian second, but he'll never admit it.