Different Types of Atheists

General discussions
Buzz

Different Types of Atheists

Post by Buzz » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:00 am

I am an Anomic Atheist.

That means I will fight to my last breath and last drop of blood.
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Different Types of Atheists

Post by Hemingway » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 am

Jeez.... you sure your not an Islamic Fundy? I think they posses a similar ethos..... :?
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
GazUtd
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GazUtd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 pm

Buzz wrote:I am an Anomic Atheist.

That means I will fight to my last breath and last drop of blood.

I thought for a minute there that you were an ATOMIC atheist.

Dammit! I wanted superpowers too!
Humans are an intelligent species. We just aren't smart enough to realise how stupid we are.

Wouldn't life be great if the 8 hours spent in bed were as long as the 8 hours spent in work.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm an anemic atheist. I have to fight with with the last drop other atheists' blood.

Surely, though, 'anomic' relates more to alienation and purposlessness or lack of direction? I don't get how it relates to the urge to fight to the death? As an atheist I don't feel exactly alienated; I'm integrated socially in any number of ways. I think if you turn the fight for secualrism and against woo into a war on everyone who believes you'll be totally alienated but I like my friends & family, many of whom have some level of faith.

While your passion is admirable perhaps the phrasing is a tad scary. You can be non-accommodationist without sounding, as Hemingway pointed out, like a jihadist.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:15 pm

I am an Agnomic Atheist. Not only do I hate them but I go into garden centres and break their little fishing rods.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Feardorcha wrote:I am an Agnomic Atheist. Not only do I hate them but I go into garden centres and break their little fishing rods.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:29 pm

I am also an agnomic atheist. I don't believe that gnomes exist but I don't claim to know this.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Anomic isn't a great claim to make for yourself. In fact I'd expect Christian trolls to call atheists anomic.

an·o·mie or an·o·my: 1. Social instability caused by erosion of standards and values. 2. Alienation and purposelessness experienced by a person or a class as a result of a lack of standards, values, or ideals

from Greek anomia, lawlessness, hence: anomic - socially disoriented
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:47 pm

I am also an agnomic atheist. I don't believe that gnomes exist but I don't claim to know this.
I lean more towards Agnomic Agnostic. I don't believe I know... I know I don't believe... I'm going for a drink.
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Ygern wrote:Anomic isn't a great claim to make for yourself. In fact I'd expect Christian trolls to call atheists anomic.

an·o·mie or an·o·my: 1. Social instability caused by erosion of standards and values. 2. Alienation and purposelessness experienced by a person or a class as a result of a lack of standards, values, or ideals

from Greek anomia, lawlessness, hence: anomic - socially disoriented
Anomia
Pronunciation:/əˈnəʊmɪə/
noun
[mass noun] Medicine
a form of aphasia in which the patient is unable to recall the names of everyday objects

Derivatives
anomic (adjective)

I was just thinking of this this morning while looking for...that metal thingamajig that you use to...dig...food.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan