Different Types of Atheists

General discussions
Buzz

Re: Different Types of Atheists

Post by Buzz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:44 am

Very funny replies to my post.

I have a book - Losing my Religion - by Tom Frame an Australian Anglican Bishop.

And even though he is a god botherer, I respect him and love this book

https://www.unswpress.com.au/isbn/9781921410192.htm

Anyway - he talks about the different types of Atheists, some are complacent - others Anomic Atheists are fighters and will fight to the last - rather than sitting back and not caring.

Anomic Atheists have been betrayed and take it personally.

The anomic atheists - like me are angry from betrayal and never forgive and never forget and never stop fighting because of the betrayal.

This is the appropriate definition of the word:

2. Alienation and purposelessness experienced by a person or a class as a result of a lack of standards, values, or ideals:

"We must now brace ourselves for disquisitions on peer pressure, adolescent anomie and rage" (Charles Krauthammer).
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:02 am

Betrayed? By whom?
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:11 am

And what do you call a atheist who only fights when attacked?

I don't see how you can fight without being attacked without being very fundamentalist.

I think people have a right to believe any bullshit they like as long as they don't push it upon others and specially not on me!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:24 pm

Buzz, don't mind us, at first I thought you where a spammer.

From reading your other posts I understand why & what you mean by:
Anomic: "PSYCHOLOGY somebody affected by alienation: somebody who feels alienated and disorientated because of the lack of a social and moral framework"

It is time that we stop sitting back while a bunch of old men in Rome trample over our rights and the rights of micro-catholics. You know I bet if you asked randomly a hundred people (who say that they are Catholic) what is the actual name of the pope, most would get it wrong and some wouldn't even know.
I bet even one would say pope John II.
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:01 pm

The name of the Pope is:
Herr Papst Ratslinger, Der Führer von Der Vatican Reich
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
GazUtd
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GazUtd » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm

eccles wrote:The name of the Pope is:
Herr Papst Ratslinger, Der Führer von Der Vatican Reich

Or "Joe the Pope" if you prefer.
Humans are an intelligent species. We just aren't smart enough to realise how stupid we are.

Wouldn't life be great if the 8 hours spent in bed were as long as the 8 hours spent in work.
Buzz

Post by Buzz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:15 am

Feardorcha wrote:Betrayed? By whom?

I was in a Catholic orphanage when I was 4 years old, and in Catholic Schools.

I have been betrayed by religion, it is false and I rage against it.
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:24 am

Buzz wrote:

Was that the Christian Brothers, Buzz?
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
Buzz

Post by Buzz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:29 am

Tulip1 wrote:And what do you call a atheist who only fights when attacked?

I don't see how you can fight without being attacked without being very fundamentalist.

I think people have a right to believe any bullshit they like as long as they don't push it upon others and specially not on me!

According to Tom Frame in Losing my Religion - an Anglican Bishop on the verge of turning atheist himself. He writes about atheism and it is a brilliant book - recommended.

Anyway in his book he described the different sort of atheists, and there are many different sorts of atheists, but when he wrote of anomic atheists, who are angry, who have been betrayed, who are agressive and who never stop fighting religion at every turn, I thought is appropriate for my atheism.

I believe Eccles is also an anomic atheist like myself and we are something of kindred spirits in this.

What you describe, letting people believe any crap they like - so long as they don't push it on you and others I dont agree with.

There are millions of people in the USA that believe in Creation, a Young Earth and Genesis and reject Science and Evolution by Natural Selection, and I think that is an appalling state of affairs, and so rather than just letting it happen, I try and join in the fight against ignorance and stupidity.

That is being an anomic atheist I believe.
Last edited by Buzz on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzz

Post by Buzz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:39 am

eccles wrote:
Buzz wrote:

Was that the Christian Brothers, Buzz?

The Nuns - the Sisters of Mercy - who wouldn't understand mercy if it bit them on the twat. Can I say twat?

The same Nuns that ran the Madgelene laundries. They displayed the same "Mercy" to 4 year olds as they did to those women in the Laundries.

I was also in Catholic Schools, we had the Latin Mass every Wednesdays and I had to attend again Sundays - I was also an Altar boy.

I was bored fartless and so learned the Latin Mass off by heart Verbatim et Literatim.

But the fact that dawned on me when at a State School - I was 7 - I still went to Mass and Confession, and somehow it came up in that absurd conversation that I was at a State School and not a Catholic School, and the priest told me my mother was Evil for putting me in the State School.

That was it for me. It was at that point I became a protestant. That was my last confession, my last Mass and my last moment as a Catholic. Anyone who hurts my Mum has an enemy for life.

Later at High School, I studied Science and Biology - and woke up that the religious line of thought was all fairy tales.

I became an atheist at High School.

I like going to the houses of jehovah's witnesses and knocking on their doors and trying to convert them to become a Mormon.

I was about 13 at the time.