Jehovah's Wittnesses

General discussions
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Jehovah's Wittnesses

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:39 pm

@ hemingway +1
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:38 pm

I am not locking this thread, I would prefer if people just leave it alone if they do not with to continue it further.
That said, I can guarantee that it will not be degenerating into a flame-throwing arena either.
Trust me on that one.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Right on Ygern. There's no need for locking down threads. If no one want to read them, they will fade away into cyper space.
It's interesting that in pages and pages of comment on Jehovah's Witnesses we haven't discussed what they actually do or stand for. As I recall, they have a peculiar attitude to voting - well, they're agin it.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm also for leaving it unlocked, as personally I'm enjoying seeing Buzz getting his ass kicked repeatedly!
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:27 pm

I do agree that it is fun to see Buzz getting proved wrong and wrong again but I don't like the childish blow it out your arse and other personal attacks on posters. I think the post can be attacked but not the poster.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:01 am

There is no fun in seeing people being proved wrong.

See the post I made here:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/ind ... &p=2214996

Proving people like Buzz wrong is too easy but alas you gain nothing from it. Proving oneself, or finding oneself, wrong on the other hand.....
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:04 am

I have an other opinion. I think debating in a rational way is very valuable and test ones own ideas/opinions. I enjoy debats but think there are many people you can't convince that their ideas are not valid due to lack of evidence or invalid interpertation of the facts.

I find it very amusing to prove people wrong. Eventhough they won't admit that they are wrong, their actions speak for them. They usually result in denying everything you say without putting up a counter argument. Or they start to insult you.

A new (for me) is one I encounter a lot here in Ireland: They just say: Well you think that and I'll keep my point of view. In the Netherlands we would say we would have lost the argument.

I personaly don't mind being proven wrong (of course I seldom am :lol: :wink: ).

Nozz I have to admit I didn't read the link yet... to early in the morning.
Fiammetta

Post by Fiammetta » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:33 am

Interesting question with quite a lot of little branches. I shall come back to it. I have already answered for why I persist in an argument. The questions here are more, why in the first place and how do you achieve your end?
Buzz

Post by Buzz » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:03 am

munsterdevil wrote:I'm also for leaving it unlocked, as personally I'm enjoying seeing Buzz getting his ass kicked repeatedly!
Charming