Anti-Catholic Atheists

General discussions
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Anti-Catholic Atheists

Post by Feardorcha » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:05 am

How about an anti-Catholic thread for those who are Anti-Catholic Atheists?
Too many threads are being swamped by anti-Catholic ranting, which is sometimes entertaining but I fear must put off any newbie who takes a peek into our forum. And, in case I'm accused of sectarian bias (anti-sectarian bias?) how about an anti-Jewish, anti-Muslim etc etc thread as well?
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Anti-Catholic Atheists

Post by IrishAndroid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:30 am

People rant about what affects them. I'm guessing 95%+ of atheists visiting this site were raised Catholic. Of course that's going to be their focus of attention.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:44 am

Those I call Anti-Catholic Atheists appear to have an unhealthy obsession with Catholicism and are still in thrall to that religion.

Maybe they were wounded in childhood but there must come a time when one says 'today I am an atheist' and shed the shackles of superstition (sorry for getting a bit poetic there).

It does get a bit tedious when some of our debates here on religion in schools, the blasphemy law etc are swamped by vulgar abuse. That's why I think an anti-Catholic thread might be a good idea.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:50 pm

I know I may post stuff that could be considered anti-catholic, but I'm not sure on this idea, as Atheist Ireland is to do more with the rights of non-believers, an anti-catholic thread could give the impression that we're an anti-catholic organisation. Supposable Ireland is 90%ish catholic country, thereby a foreign power has say over many of our state services. Of the 90%ish catholics most are more of a christian-other belief rather than Roman catholics.

1. One of the roles of AI is independence of Ireland’s state bodies from religious control, ie CCL. Thereby on that point it is more anti-(catholic-control).

2. I suppose the Humour can be anti-catholic, but then it is the one religion that most of use knows most about, maybe we could put in jokes about atheists.

3. I wouldn’t want my catholic friends or family coming onto this site and seeing an anti-catholic thread. Maybe a catholic thread, but then in balance we would then need an Islam, JW, other- religions thread.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:36 pm

I take your point but I was trying to get at the frustration I sometimes feel when so many threads are swamped by often-crude anti-Catholic material.
I wouldn’t want my catholic friends or family coming onto this site and seeing an anti-catholic thread.

Well religious doubters must come on here for a look and for an alternative view. I just think we could raise the standard to accommodate them.
I remember when, as an impressionable youth, I tried to argue with my atheist friends; if I had met with this crude response, I wonder would I have rejected religion.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:55 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much feardocha, so far it is primarily an antipodean minority (i.e. 2 posters) that is going on with this stuff. In true fashion, because people ignore them, they'll soon get bored and cease.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:25 pm

I think you have it there. We'll wait and see.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:31 pm

Just a thought, how do you feel about splitting the Atheism, Philosophy & Religion forum up into two? In other words giving religious topics their own subforum.
That way specifically religious topics can be ignored by those who don't want to read them.
There is however, going to be a certain overlap of the two at times.

Anyway: Yea or Nay?
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 am

Alas every movement will be peppered with immature elements of this sort. It is up to the people within that movement to deal with that as best they can by telling the elements in question that their contributions are not welcome and why. The fact remains that there are some people have the emotion to want to rally against the church in Ireland but not the education or intelligence to pull it off. They therefore do the only thing open to them.... resort to insult and school yard rhetoric... which they feel makes them look clever when in fact it does the opposite.

Granting them concessions by creating threads, or even whole forum splits, to accommodate them is simply not the way to go. It gives them credibility that I think they do not deserve.

Rather than be upset by them, simply post and tell them why you think their attitudes are not helpful and help us educate them to do better for our causes.

For example recently two of the users of this forum invaded the “Irish Catholics Forum” and acted in such a way as to embarrass not just themselves but those of us who were also on that forum in good faith and conscience. So bad was their behavior that the most bigoted, dishonest user of the forum started to be called "tolerant"... which relative to the invaders in question he actually appeared. Even the worst person can seem good when held up against the right background.

When those users finally got themselves banned they returned here bragging about their exploits, calling themselves “martyrs”, slapping each other on the back for how smart and clever they were and using lofty words for their account ban such as how they were "excommunicated" from the forum. The users of THIS forum however thankfully told them exactly what we thought of their behavior and did all we could do to distance ourselves from them.

We are inevitably going to hear more from both of them, and others like them, but I think we dealt with them well before by making it clear to them that immature trolls who think invading forums with insults like "idiots", "bloody brain dead", "Roaming Cattleticks" and "asshole bigoted ROMAN Catholics" in an attempt to get banned for abusive and trolling behavior is not big, it is not clever, it is not impressive, it is not a path to martyrdom… and no one here is interested in how good it makes them feel about themselves.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:18 am

Ygern wrote:Just a thought, how do you feel about splitting the Atheism, Philosophy & Religion forum up into two? In other words giving religious topics their own subforum.
That way specifically religious topics can be ignored by those who don't want to read them.
There is however, going to be a certain overlap of the two at times.

Anyway: Yea or Nay?
I'm good with the status quo. People can choose to ignore individual threads or passages of text if it's not to their liking. Forum content should be organized by degrees of topical relevance and overlap not sensibilities of reading preference. Religious discussion is often very relevant to atheism.