Why do you not believe in the Christian god?

General discussions
Buzz

Why do you not believe in the Christian god?

Post by Buzz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:11 am

I have many reasons and I have put them all forward in my book.

I know my reasons, and I am interesting discussing with other atheists, their reasons.

I am genuinly interested in the reasons - especially of the people in Ireland, which is why I joined this group in the first place. it certainly wasn't to get bogged down in sophistry to do with Smurfs, goldfish and sharks.

What I want to talk about is your philosophy on atheism and your reasons for rejecting religion altogether.

So can we actually all have a nice chat about the thing that unites us and at least try to be civilised and get along together?

Cheers

Buzz
Fiammetta

Re: Why do you not believe in the Christian god?

Post by Fiammetta » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:01 am

Buzz wrote:I have many reasons and I have put them all forward in my book.

I know my reasons, and I am interesting discussing with other atheists, their reasons.

I am genuinly interested in the reasons - especially of the people in Ireland, which is why I joined this group in the first place. it certainly wasn't to get bogged down in sophistry to do with Smurfs, goldfish and sharks.

What I want to talk about is your philosophy on atheism and your reasons for rejecting religion altogether.

So can we actually all have a nice chat about the thing that unites us and at least try to be civilised and get along together?

Cheers

Buzz
Hello Buzz. My reason for being an atheist is because I see no reliable evidence nor reason for any god. I have a philosophy which includes seeking evidence but do not wrap a philosophy around every non-observation, so there is for me no philosophy on atheism any more than I have a philosophy on the absence of inter-galactic teapots.

What is your reason?
Buzz

Post by Buzz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:42 am

I have many reasons - I like your reasons.

Firstly my reasons include the History of Christianity. That I can write about with thousands of words. There are over 30,000 different sects - cults - that all claim to be the only one that is right and that all the others are wrong and have even gone to war with them.

The history of Christianity is the history of bloodshed and conflict, beginning with the great Schism and going right up to the present day.

The other part of the history that is over looked is the history of the Jewish religion that people - Christians ignore. Christianity comes from Judaism, and is an extension of Judaism but despite this, the History is ignored and the connection ot Judaism makes Christianity meaningless.

Then there is the psychology. Jungian psychology and "The Hero's Journey" explains all the religions and especially Christianity. In the Hero's Journey - or Monomyth - there are always the same stages and the the same archetypes and the same ending. The Lord of the Rings is a Hero's Journey - as is the New Testament and worshiping Jesus is as absurd as worshipping Frodo.

Then of course - before I learned about those aspects that blow Christianity out of the water there is science. Science makes god and Jeebus redundant.

Most of all I have an Australian built in Bullshit detector which sounds the alarm when people spout Bullshit.

I could go on but thats it in a nutshell.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:33 am

Buzz wrote:I am genuinly interested in the reasons - especially of the people in Ireland, which is why I joined this group in the first place.
That's a really good way to introduce yourself to a new online community, I imagine, with a post like this you'd get plenty of replies and an interesting disucssion out of it. But sadly this wasn't your introduction to this forum. This was: getting
Buzz wrote: ...bogged down in sophistry to do with Smurfs, goldfish and sharks
oh and who could forget:
Buzz wrote:Blow it out your arse
I suspect you've used up most if not all of your chips around here. You certainly have with me.
Regens Küchl

Post by Regens Küchl » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Buzz wrote:I have many reasons and I have put them all forward in my book.

Cheers

Buzz
I do not believe in the Christian god because I am Asatru :D
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Why I’m an atheist? Well, firstly because Christianity (and all other religions I am aware of) is implausible. But just because something sounds implausible doesn’t mean it’s false; complex life evolving by natural processes is an implausible notion, however the vast wealth of evidence we have shows us that it is true. Religion has no such evidence. Some people claim to have evidence but it is not verifiable, and thus isn’t actually proper evidence.

Let’s assume for the sake of argument Christianity or Islam or whatever was true; then it would obviously true. Every discovery we make would fit the worldview that there is an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, omnibenevolent intelligence who takes an active interest in human affairs. Now not only don’t the pieces fit they’re also the opposite of what we’d expect with the loving God hypothesis; they seem to fit the malevolent God. The amount of suffering in the world, no, the amount of unnecessary suffering in the world is overwhelming not just human suffering but the suffering of all sentient life. Parasites, diseases, predation, fear and pain inflict every organism in this world, as Hobbes put it; life is nasty, brutish and short. Life is only bearable because humans made it so; many people have long, comfortable, healthy lives - this cannot be said for the billions of people throughout history who endured a horrible existence relative to us.

The more we understand about the cosmos the more we see things being caused by mindless processes and having natural explanations rather than having a specific purpose in relation to humans. The overriding factor is that the universe is not consistent with the existence of a theistic god – the claims of religion do not reflect reality as we know it.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
Buzz

Post by Buzz » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:11 am

Beebub wrote:
Buzz wrote:I am genuinly interested in the reasons - especially of the people in Ireland, which is why I joined this group in the first place.
That's a really good way to introduce yourself to a new online community, I imagine, with a post like this you'd get plenty of replies and an interesting disucssion out of it. But sadly this wasn't your introduction to this forum. This was: getting
Buzz wrote: ...bogged down in sophistry to do with Smurfs, goldfish and sharks
oh and who could forget:
Buzz wrote:Blow it out your arse
I suspect you've used up most if not all of your chips around here. You certainly have with me.
I am devestated.
Darragh15

Post by Darragh15 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm an atheist because of these below.

1:Reading the bible
2:other Christians lack of knowledge on their own religion/ atheist intolerance.
3:Rational thought.
4:other religions
5:Rational study of religion and science.
6:What has religion brought us,but even more confusion,division,unnecessary violence!
7:Corrupt catholic church/exempt e.t.c
8:It's a fairy tail like all others.
9:All of Christianities main fronts are borrowed concepts, example:Commandments were borrowed pagan,roman and Greek mythology's. Jesus has things in common with Krishna, Mithra, Dionysus/Bacchus, Attis.
10:Religion truly weaves it's web through the ignorant, or less educated on religion and is interfering with modern civilization, example:fundamentalism, terrorism, religious laws in politics such as abortion and the debunked "protection" law. Stem cells in America.
11:It's so obvious that religion is a tool of control. Evangelical bible thumpers in America always being voted into government, Holy wars and horrible atrocities caused or justified or "rationalized", by belief systems.The church and child abuse, the aids epidemic in Africa made even worse.
12:Critical thinking. :mrgreen:
Barny
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Barny » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:20 am

I dont believe in the christian god because I dont believe in any god.
You can lead a fool to wisdom but you cant make him think.
Buzz

Post by Buzz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 am

I was placed in a Roman Catholic orphanage when I was 4 years old. I developed PTSD at that time, which is why I tend to get grumpy by the way.

It was at that time what I learned I could not trust Nuns and Priests.

Since that time I studied science, literature and history, where I learned that religious beliefs has been the main reason for the majority of the conflicts in human history.

Science in my view, beginning with Copernicus and Galileo blew the bible out of the water centuries ago and Darwin killed the Christian god 150 years ago. I excelled at biology at High School and when the teacher asked if any of us had a problem with evolution because of any religious beliefs - we laughed.

Most of all, religious beliefs seemed to me to be all wrong and all stupid beyond belief. The vast majority of the religious people I have encountered all my life have been absolutely appalling people - and I include family members.

The only weapon these religious people have, is the Bible, and all one needs to do is read the Bible to see that it is nothing but codswallop.

If you can't be bothered reading the whole Bible, then just try reading Revelation, which was without doubt written by some strange person after eating Amanita muscaria, commonly known as the fly agaric or fly Amanita is a poisonous and psychoactive basidiomycete fungus.

In other words he was stoned off his face on magic mushrooms - and none of the rubbish in that Book of Revelation, has ever, is not now and will never happen.

Deuteronomy 18:22 Kills Jesus off nicely - nothing he said ever came true therefore it is all lies. The whole Bible is a book of fairy tales and lies and should be filed under absurdities.

Then of course there is the Roman Catholic sexual abuse of children, which the pope protects and perpetuates.

I could go on - in fact I have written a book about it.

Christianity is nothing but a modified form of Zoroastrianism.