General discussions
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Pope ok's condoms

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:48 am

HylandPaddy wrote:
Tulip1 wrote:
Ciaran wrote:I didn't even mean heliocentrism, I meant geocentrism. Posting half asleep...
and now I have to look up what that is!!! LOL not really :wink: good morning anyway!
They're perfectly cromulent words.
Has this turned into the let confuse tulip thread?? LOL Google again!!! :lol:
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Tulip1 wrote:I wonder what happend with the story that there are holes in the condoms that let HIV through? Are they still hold that one up?
Yup

Bishops say Pope still anti-condoms for HIV
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:51 pm

So let me see if I get this straight. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The pope is not oking condoms per se, nor is he oking same sex activities.

What he is saying however is that if you are going to engage in same sex activities then you may as well double your sin and use condoms for the protection of the rest of us.

In other words while we are all promoting "safe-sex" with condoms, the pope is essentially promoting "safe-sinning".
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:28 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:What he is saying however is that if you are going to engage in same sex activities then you may as well double your sin and use condoms for the protection of the rest of us.
Not quite. I think what he's saying is that if you're going to do bum sex, wearing a condom is not a sin because it is not being used as a contraceptive device. Bum sex is still a sin.
This is different from where a heterosexual adulterer might wish to use a condom, either with his mistress or his wife. The use of the condom in that case would be sinful as it would prevent the sacred sperm reaching the blessed egg.
If I understand the theology correctly, masturbating while wearing a condom (a "posh wank") or robbing a bank with one over your head would be sins, but the use of condoms wouldn't add to the sin.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:39 pm

The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:06 am

Heterosexuals can also use condoms, clarifies Pope
Irish Examiner Wednesday, November 24, 2010
POPE Benedict’s landmark acknowledgement that the use of condoms is sometimes morally justifiable to stop Aids is valid not only for gay male prostitutes but for heterosexuals and transsexuals too, the Vatican said yesterday.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:34 am

aZerogodist wrote:Heterosexuals can also use condoms, clarifies Pope
Irish Examiner Wednesday, November 24, 2010
POPE Benedict’s landmark acknowledgement that the use of condoms is sometimes morally justifiable to stop Aids is valid not only for gay male prostitutes but for heterosexuals and transsexuals too, the Vatican said yesterday.
"Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said he asked the Pope directly to clarify his thinking."

As far as Herr Papst Ratslinger is concerned that is an impossibility. Herr Papst possesseth not the necessary intellectual equipment.
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:31 am

Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news