How did you find out about AI?

General discussions
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: How did you find out about AI?

Post by chemicals » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Bik wrote:Think I found the site through a google search.
me too
والقس هو مجنون
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:58 pm

I think I happened upon it having read about www.countmeout.ie in the newspaper. I'm not sure if it was a link from there or whether someone mentioned it and I then googled it.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:14 pm

I found the site simply by typing www.atheist.ie into my address bar. I attempted this first back in 2005 and tried it periodically after that, eventually finding the original forum in 2007. Becoming increasingly frustrated with the way atheists were depicted by the Irish media, and watching the storm brewing in other countries, I just knew something would be set up here soon enough.

I was already an AFA member at that stage, but they didn't have a forum at the time either.

It's funny, before 2006, when RD.net was set up, there was a big hole in the internet waiting for atheists to fill it up. You tube seemed to be the only outlet for atheists.

Out of interest, was anyone here invovled in the online conversation before 2006 and if so, which sites were you using?
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Similar to some other members I did a google search with the keywords Atheists and Ireland and it led me here.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
ucantcmeimsmilin

Post by ucantcmeimsmilin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:18 pm

I was checking to see if the domain name was taken....
Buzz

Post by Buzz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:27 am

Fiammetta wrote:
Buzz wrote:I found out from eccles

I am an Aussie
You are also excluded from the AFA forum, probably owing to trolling claims without evidence and attempting various sock puppets.

Have a nice day.

Am I really? Thats all you know. I have PTSD and I blow my top easily. May you never get PTSD, precious, you are too delicate to handle such a thing.
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Buzz wrote:Am I really? Thats all you know. I have PTSD and I blow my top easily. May you never get PTSD, precious, you are too delicate to handle such a thing.
Are you saying: "Look everybody, I'm sorry but I have PTSD, sometimes it makes me act like a bit of a dick. Can I ask for your patience and understanding while I work my hardest to overcome this?"
Or are you saying: "I have PTSD. This gives me an excuse to act like a dick. Deal with it."

Because it sounds like the latter.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:02 pm

I would suggest that people with PTSD who are passionate about an issue do their best for that issue by staying well away. If I felt for one instant that my writings on forums like boards, here, politics and more were harming the cause of atheism I would shut up shop and stop writing at once.

The way people like Buzz and the cause of his presence here Eccles act when engaging with others gives people like us a bad name. They harm our cause by our association with them. The latters actions on the Irish Catholics Forum for example actually let people to call the forums most hypocritical liar “reasonable” in comparison. This is not a good thing and it “brought shame on our house” to quote a cliché.

If users like that really feel passionate about atheism... and I do not doubt for a moment Buzz actually does feel strongly on the subject and part of his heart is in the right place.... and the causes atheist promote, they would serve those causes best by simply staying well away.

Back on topic however, I am finding myself highly amused that my answer to the thread is “I do not know”. I do not remember how I first heard of this site, came to it, signed up to it and started posting. Maybe I am getting old, but the memory appears to have been entirely erased. I went back and read my first post but it did not spark a memory.

If I had to guess, I would imagine it is the same answer as Hemingway. However I honestly do not know.