What could be considered evidence of a God?

General discussions
mkaobrih

Re: What could be considered evidence of a God?

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:07 pm

There is no evidence that would convince me. I’d think I was having a brain aneurism or a psychotic episode or a severe reaction to a piece of cheese, but the only understandable way for an atheist to “get” religion is if they have some sort of personal experience in which “they just know”. It’s not at all scientific nor can it be a reason why everyone else should just “know”. But who knows - if like Phinius Gage I had a huge portion of my brain blown out by a railway spike then maybe I would suddenly be religious.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 am

mkaobrih wrote:There is no evidence that would convince me. I’d think I was having a brain aneurism or a psychotic episode or a severe reaction to a piece of cheese, but the only understandable way for an atheist to “get” religion is if they have some sort of personal experience in which “they just know”. It’s not at all scientific nor can it be a reason why everyone else should just “know”. But who knows - if like Phinius Gage I had a huge portion of my brain blown out by a railway spike then maybe I would suddenly be religious.
I suppose, on that note there is one thing that would convince me. Having my neural net reconfigured to believe. If a god exists and wanted me to believe badly enough s/he would have done it by now.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:27 pm

mkaobrih wrote:There is no evidence that would convince me. I’d think I was having a brain aneurism or a psychotic episode or a severe reaction to a piece of cheese...
Cheeses Christ, maybe?
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 pm

MichaelNugent wrote:
mkaobrih wrote:There is no evidence that would convince me. I’d think I was having a brain aneurism or a psychotic episode or a severe reaction to a piece of cheese...
Cheeses Christ, maybe?
:roll: Groan
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:23 pm

We didnt elect him to make jokes :)
Sid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Sid » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:39 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:We didnt elect him to make jokes :)
Good 'cos if we did I'd be demanding a recall for that one!
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm

A priest walks into a supermarket looking for cheeses... unfortunately, it didn't exist. Apparently there was no cod either.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Regens Küchl

Post by Regens Küchl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Dev wrote:I suppose for me it's the conventional expectation that he speak to everyone at once in every language saying the same thing or something to that effect.
That would only be Captain Kirk and/or consorts speaking through the universal translator, which is common in the 23th century :?
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:15 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:For any kind of evidence you could produce for an omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent being, there will always be a simpler explanation than an omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent being. Halucination, Human Technology, Advanced Alien Technology etc.

There is a kind of loaded question that some apologists like to use on atheists where they ask what evidence you would require to accept the existence of a god. When you can't answer, they accuse you of bias. The question sets you into a train of thought where you think about specific hypothetical pieces of evidence that you will then eliminate one by one due to occam's razor or settle for something quite poor, like god appearing to you.

I respond to the question by outlining the basic standard of evidence that I would accept, rather than trying to think of some specific piece of evidence that might convince me. My answer is, any case for the existence of god would have to be at least as extraordinary as the claim itself and for each piece of evidence outlined there would need to be no simpler explanation than the god concept you propose.

The fact that I can't think of a specific instantiation of a piece of evidence that meets this criteria is nothing more than an omission of my own lack of omniscience.
I thought this reply was quite good. Sometimes I try and see things from a theist perspective and the highlighted part is pretty much what went through my head.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:41 pm

What could be considered evidence of a God?

In my opinion something radically more different to the universe we inhabit. Then again that could describe whatever was there before the Big Bang!

In other words, I don't know Dev, it's something I never really dwelt upon...
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke