Easter?

General discussions
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Easter?

Post by aiseiri47 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:48 pm

I suppose in past times it marked an end to eating winter rations, wasn't that really what lent was where people had only some foods left, from the previous year.
I informed someone recently that the only reason they were asked to fast from meat on Good Friday, or any Friday, was because meat was expensive and they'd have more money to give to the church on Sunday. (And not in a obnoxious atheist way; I was just asking them if they knew.) It's surprising (not) how little people know about the history of Catholicism given the ferocity with which religious education is defended.
Gadfly

Post by Gadfly » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Out of all the religious events, Easter is the most depressing. Never liked it. The only thing that's worthwhile about it is the Easter eggs. :D
"I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating upon another." Lord Byron.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon May 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Gadfly wrote:Out of all the religious events, Easter is the most depressing. Never liked it. The only thing that's worthwhile about it is the Easter eggs. :D
I always thought Christmas was the most depressing, or at least has the most potential to be the most depressing. To me, Easter seems like a bit of a non-event in this country.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:07 pm

We do the chocolate eggs and an egg hunt and that's it. We do X mas and Saint Nicolaas as well (Dutch X mas). We just leave the religious crap out.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon May 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Woops! Wrong thread.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Woops! Wrong thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Flower

Post by Flower » Thu May 05, 2011 6:14 am

Easter eggs! yummy. I did a essay on the rabbit and hare in mythology at college. I found that the things we celebrate at easter like eggs and hot cross buns come from pagan beliefs. The hot cross bun was to pagans a representation of the 4 luna cyles, and the christians and catholics stole the idea and used it at a symbol of the sign of the cross!
The eggs being a symbol of new life.
It does make me wonder when catholics go to church to celebrate this holy time jesus rose from the dead and then go home and eat chocolate eggs, do they not even question what on earth chocolate and jesus have in common?
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:53 am

Hi Flower,

First of all welcome to the forum!

Most "catholic" or even christian celebrations are borrowed from pagan religions. Even the christmas tree in your house is a pagan tradition.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Thu May 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Flower wrote:It does make me wonder when catholics go to church to celebrate this holy time jesus rose from the dead and then go home and eat chocolate eggs, do they not even question what on earth chocolate and jesus have in common?
Good question - I think this shows how frivolous people are about their religion, in this country anyway.

Last christmas my mother gave out to me for not going to church, so this easter I asked her if she went to mass. She didn't. I politely called her a hypocrite but apparently she was still in the right and I in the wrong :roll: - I left it at that.