Eating meat immoral?

General discussions
HylandPaddy

Eating meat immoral?

Post by HylandPaddy » Tue May 17, 2011 10:58 pm

So what’s your opinion; is eating meat immoral? If it is immoral to slaughter animals for their meat then is it okay to eat the carcass of an animal that has died naturally?

Personally, on a semi-irrational note, I am a meat eater. I really don’t think I could decide never to eat meat again.

Discuss. :)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Eating meat immoral?

Post by chemicals » Tue May 17, 2011 11:04 pm

HylandPaddy wrote:So what’s your opinion; is eating meat immoral?
Discuss. :)
my cat reckons its ok :lol:
والقس هو مجنون
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Wed May 18, 2011 10:54 am

I don't think killing animals for their meat is immoral.

I think if the meat is not eaten and instead wasted, the act then becomes immoral.
I disagree with battery-type farming and think that the killing should occur with as little pain as possible for the animal.
I'm not sure where I stand with selective breeding, I know it's been carried out for years but some of the outcomes are quite frightening.

I found this Channel 4 documentary very good in understanding the extremes of farming better: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/animal-farm/4od
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:56 am

chemicals wrote: my cat reckons its ok :lol:
Mine, too! :lol:

Personally, I don't think eating meat, in itself, is immoral. I don't think killing an animal to eat is immoral, either. I think meat is nutritionally very beneficial. I have a tendency towards anemia, myself, so I eat a lot of meat for that (and yes, I also eat my greens; I've certainly developed a spinach-habit, and I've even gone from a quad-espresso a day junkie to a few decaf teas a week, in the last few year - because caffeine blocks iron absorption. I don't believe in taking supplements without trying to adjust your diet first.)

I do, admittedly, disapprove of the treatment of animals deemed "necessary" to provide meat to large populations at a low-cost. I would rather spend more money on my meat and know that it came from an animal who was treated reasonably well (up until, you know, the slaughtering.)

At the same time, I wouldn't say no to veal at a restaurant. (In fact, I said 'yes' to veal twice while I was in Germany last month). Maybe that makes me a bad person :|

I would like to see animal treatment guidelines enforced, and would gladly pay more. I feel that strongly about it. Just not strongly enough to cut meat out of my (well-planned) diet.
oldrnwisr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by oldrnwisr » Wed May 18, 2011 12:49 pm

I agree with paolovf and aiseri47, I think that eating meat in and of itself is not immoral but that there are food production practices which I would consider immoral. Chief among these is battery chickens which I think is such a shameful practice that it should be outlawed asap. I also think that Halal is immoral for the same reason because it inflicts an unnecessary amount of pain and suffering on the animal.

I think that if we are going to eat meat then we should all be conscious of our choices when we go shopping. Saving money is one thing, but I'd rather buy cheaper cuts of meat like flank and shin (which have better flavour anyway) than cheap, low quality meat. I also think that a lot of the reason why fillet steak has been such a widespread cut in recent years is because of the comparatively low quality of other cuts due to butchers and supermarkets not wanting to suffer the delay in getting their product to market that aging meat requires. Not to go into too much of a preaching mode but above all I believe that we should see meat as treat, rather than a staple.
"Science doesn't know everything. Religion doesn't know anything." AronRa - WAC 2011
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Wed May 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Wastege of killed meat does indeed bother me. I am not sure how to construct a workable moral argument on it, but I should sit down and do it one day.

My dad was shocked when he went on a fishing trip to norway. He used to fillet fish and throw much of it away. In norway not a single part of the fish does not find a use in something somewhere. They even kept the bones and eyes for some function... though I cant remember what he said it was now.

I myself do try not to simply throw the bones away with finished meat either. I always try and make stock for a risotto or some such. I warrant there are few of us who could not reduce the wastage in meat if we put our mind to it. Ive seen people cut and throw away fatty bits, then put oil in the pan... when you could have fried down the fat as oil.... and more.

Having said all that, I like to come to my moral conclusions by putting actual thought into it. Which means there are many issues I simply have never found the time to sit down and think through from start to finish (usually in a quiet room, top of a mountain, or in a cave lol). and eating meat is one of them. I simply do it and have closed my mind off from exploring the morality of it within myself. I still intend to approach it some day.

I will likely buy Peter Singers book on the subject too as he is meant to have one of the most reasoned arguments against the eating of meat.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed May 18, 2011 1:56 pm

People who promote veganism and vegetarianism as a way of life ARE immoral. Especially the vegans.

Cows, for instance, have been selectively bread and domesticated for so long that they are completely and utterly useless for any purpose other than human consumption of their meat and other bi-products.

You can't release them into the wild, they're not practical as pets and they exist ONLY because of their value as a resource to humans.

If we stop eating them, they stop being a valuable resource and people stop breeding them.

Actively attempting to stop people eating meat is therefore an attempt to create a situation where the animals we would otherwise kill for food, never existed in the first place!

Whatever you might have to say about the ethics of killing an animal for food, at least that animal got to live a life of some kind before it was killed. Is it not far less moral to deny the animal existence in the first place?
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:Whatever you might have to say about the ethics of killing an animal for food, at least that animal got to live a life of some kind before it was killed. Is it not far less moral to deny the animal existence in the first place?

I'm not sure I agree with you here. You seem to be asserting that unless tended to on a farm and ultimately consumed by humans that cows will become extinct. Is that not a bit of a stretch?
There are plenty of animals out there that aren't adapting to their environment as successfully as they once did that are being protected in sanctuaries.

You're argument kind of reminds me of when people say you should litter because it keeps people in a job!
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 pm

As long as the animal is treated with a reasonable degree of care and respect for its life and death I don't see a problem with raising, slaughtering and eating animals. No pain or stress was inflicted.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 pm

I have no problems with eating meat. I only have a problem when animals are not treated with respect.

I think it isfar more inmoral to eat fish because of the way we catch them etc.

The only argument for not eating meat I encountered which hold water (IMO) is that to rear animals we have to give them a lot of food which could feed more people than the meat will with environmetal implications etc.

This argument however did not convince me enough to stop eating meat.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.