Participate in my research study on atheists

General discussions
UCCResearcher

Participate in my research study on atheists

Post by UCCResearcher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi all,

I made sure to get permission from the administrator Ygern to post this thread. There is a serious lack of academic research on atheism and atheist online communities such as this one. To address this gap, I am conducting a study that would benefit greatly from the contribution of you guys. The study consists of an anonymous survey which should take you no longer than 10 minutes. The survey features questions about living as an atheist as well as questions about your participation in this forum.

I would be extremely grateful if you could complete the survey and I will definitely report back when the study is complete to let you guys know the results and conclusions. Additionally, if you have any questions for me, I would be glad to answer.

Here’s the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MYPNTH6

Thanks everyone.
DaithiDublin

Re: Participate in my research study on atheists

Post by DaithiDublin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 pm

UCCResearcher wrote:The survey features questions about living as an atheist as well as questions about your participation in this forum.
Done. But I have to say of the questions, pretty much all of them seemed to come from a notion that being an atheist is somehow shameful. Or that it had a negative effect on self esteem and sociability. It was as if the survey presumed that atheists fit into a narrow band of personality types. None of which would be my experience.

I have seen surveys of religious views, where a lot of questions were looking to characterise how much joy you have as a believer. This one seemed to want to find out if I even knew what joy was.
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
fishywiki
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by fishywiki » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:19 am

Duh! I suspect that this has been designed by someone who assumes that being atheist is like being gay in the '60s - a dark secret. In fact, most people I know don't give a toss about religion, like many in Ireland who are the "I was born catholic, so I'm a catholic, even though I haven't been to any religious ceremony in 20 years" kind of folk. A poorly designed questionnaire, which will give equally poor results.
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:35 am

UCCResearcher wrote:Hi all,

I made sure to get permission from the administrator Ygern to post this thread. There is a serious lack of academic research on atheism and atheist online communities such as this one. To address this gap, I am conducting a study that would benefit greatly from the contribution of you guys. The study consists of an anonymous survey which should take you no longer than 10 minutes. The survey features questions about living as an atheist as well as questions about your participation in this forum.

I would be extremely grateful if you could complete the survey and I will definitely report back when the study is complete to let you guys know the results and conclusions. Additionally, if you have any questions for me, I would be glad to answer.

Here’s the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MYPNTH6

Thanks everyone.
Interestingly enough i'm intending on doing research for my dissertation next year on Atheists and Atheism too. Hoping to get most of it done over the summer.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:22 am

The survey mentions fear a lot, what is missing is
shoveldog wrote:because of the guilt of offending or upsetting family or friends.
Sometimes it is out of respect of people you know, who would be either upset or complete religious devotie that you will never hear the end of it, everytime you meet, as if their new christian-mission in life is to set you right or the only topic in the world. Often it's because I don't want to make it into an issue, because religion is of no importance, but if someone does start mumbo-jumboing, then I nip it in the bud.

I looked at the survey but either my IE-security-setting or non-java wouldn't allow me select options.
Ter
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:05 pm

Done. But many of the questions are largely irrelevant to an atheist in Ireland, or at least to me personally. Are you using a survey instrument which was originally made for a US survey?.
smellyoldgit

Post by smellyoldgit » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:12 pm

I'll wager it's a chunk of spam - just to get you to that last 'sign up' page.
Let's see if he/she/it comes back with anything other than a load of bullshit.
UCCResearcher

Post by UCCResearcher » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:46 pm

smellyoldgit wrote:I'll wager it's a chunk of spam - just to get you to that last 'sign up' page.
Let's see if he/she/it comes back with anything other than a load of bullshit.
While I appreciate your skepticism, this is not spam. Survey Monkey is a free tool. EVERY survey produced on that site leads to the last sign up page. I have absolutely no control over that appearing. That is how Survey Monkey makes their money I assume. Is there ant way you would like me to prove to you that this is not bullshit?
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:39 am

Hi UCCResearcher.

I had an open-minded go at doing your survey but gave up after about two pages as I found it had absolutely no relevance to me. It appears to be written for members of a secret society or cult.

If you are sincere in your research, why not scrap it and write your own?
Are you genuinely looking for answers? Strongly looking, average looking or just going through the motions so you can pass an exam?
robreynolds2

Post by robreynolds2 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Hi UCCResearcher.

I had an open-minded go at doing your survey but gave up after about two pages as I found it had absolutely no relevance to me. It appears to be written for members of a secret society or cult.

If you are sincere in your research, why not scrap it and write your own?
Are you genuinely looking for answers? Strongly looking, average looking or just going through the motions so you can pass an exam?

Have to agree 100%, the question asked are obviously put together by someone of really strong faith who has never met an Atheist and is wondering how they manage to live. I gave it a go for two pages and stopped also. The questions are really ridiculous so it is quite tedious to go through them all.

As Feardorcha pointed out maybe you could write the questions yourself?
Morality is herd instinct in the individual - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.cabinbee.com